7

Maya hissed out in pain as the doctor tried to clean the cut on her head. The man froze for a second and smiled sadly. "Sorry," he muttered. Maya just clenched her teeth and muttered, "It's fine."

The man gave Maya a few more seconds to relax before he finished cleaning up the cut and patched it up. He then glanced down at her arm and gently picked it up, making sure to avoid the burn marks.

"Second-degree burns," the doctor muttered in the direction of the nurse. The lady nodded and then quickly left to go grab some stuff to patch her up.

"Now, Maya, I want you to rest for a little bit to give yourself sometime to heal. You've hit your head pretty hard a couple of times and burned your arm. You're lucky you don't have a concussion or anything worse," the doctor told her.

Maya just nodded her head and the nurse walked in. The doctor finished patching her up before leaving her in the hospital room. She saw him walk out of the room where he stopped to talk with Pepper. He muttered some things to her and Pepper's eyes flickered over to the room where they locked with Maya's. She gave her a small smile which Maya returned before looking away.

Pepper said something to the doctor before walking over to the hospital door and knocking. "Can I come in?" Pepper asked. Maya just nodded and Pepper walked in.

Pepper frowned at the sight of the bandages on Maya's arm and forehead as she sat down on the side of the hospital bed. "How are you feeling?" Pepper asked. Maya sighed, "Like crap, but what else is new?"

She then glanced up at Pepper and asked, "Where's my dad?" Pepper frowned and looked away. "He went to talk to the guy," Pepper muttered. "He what?" Maya asked in disbelief." "I know," Pepper told her. "He wouldn't listen to anyone. Said something about needing some answers or something like that. He should be back soon though."

Maya rolled her eyes at that and looked down at her hands. "Okay, what's wrong?" Pepper asked as she reached over to stroke Maya's hair in the way a mother would to her child.

"Dad took my armor away," Maya muttered. "Said something about how a little girl doesn't need to have a weapon. See, he called my thing a weapon, but whenever someone says something about the Iron Man suit being a weapon, he quickly denies it."

"I worked on that thing for the longest time. And he just took it away because he didn't think I should have it. I saved his life with it!" Maya exclaimed angrily.

Pepper gave the girl a sympathetic smile before saying, "I'm sorry, Maya. Tell you what. I'll talk to Tony about it and see what I can do." A big grin broke out on Maya's face and she quickly looked up at Pepper. "Really?" Maya asked. Pepper nodded and Maya quickly reached out and attacked the girl with a hug.

Pepper was surprised at first, but then wrapped her arms around Maya and kissed the top of her forehead. "I love you, Pepper," Maya whispered. Pepper smiled at that and whispered, "I love you too."

Pepper them released the girl and gave her a smile. "Now I want you to try and get some rest. We leave in a few hours and the doctor won't release you until an hour before we leave," Pepper told her. Maya nodded her head and Pepper kissed her forehead softly.

"I'll come get you when it's almost time to leave," Pepper said. "Okay," Maya replied. Pepper smiled at her before getting up and starting to leave.