16

A small grin was on Maya's face as she ran through the crowd and towards the Expo Center. She heard some loud explosions from behind her, but chose to ignore it knowing that she probably didn't want to look back and see what her father had done.

Maya heard a scream coming from her left and she came to a stop as she saw that a drone had cornered a family. Maya quickly run up behind the drone and slid under its feet. She popped up right in front of the family and the drone took a step back wondering where she had come from. Maya just smirked and held up her blaster before shooting the drone in the face.

The head immediately blew up and Maya jumped up and down in joy. "Yeah! I did that! I destroyed a drone on my own! Beat that! I-" Maya froze when she realized that the family was staring at her with wide eyes.

"Uh, hi?" Maya said. The family just stared at her. Maya rolled her eyes. "Yeah, yeah. You're welcome. But seriously, you should get out of here before another drone shows up."

The thought of another drone must've really terrified them because the family instantly bolted off without a word. Maya sent a look in their direction, but shook it off. Whatever.

Maya jumped over the fallen drone and ran towards the building making sure to shoot down any drones that she happened to pass on her way. Maya finally made it to the stairs of the Expo and turned around to see four drones on the floor with their heads missing. Maya smiled proudly before turning back around and running inside to find Pepper.

Maya stopped when she got inside and grimaced at the sight. This place looked worse than her house did when Rhodey and her father had fought.

"Maya!" a voice yelled and Maya turned her head to see Pepper running around frantically trying to find her. "Pepper!" Maya yelled and Pepper immediately looked at her and sighed in relief. Maya ran over to her and Pepper took the girl into her arms. "Thank god, you're okay," Pepper muttered as she held the girl tight.

"Where were you?" Pepper asked. Maya went wide eyed for a second before smiling nervously, "That's not important. Listen, we need to get out of here." Pepper nodded her head, "Okay. Just let me go check in with the technician and Hammer for a second."

Maya nodded and the two made their way to the back. They walked around the corner and Pepper smiled. "Just in time," Pepper muttered and Maya looked to see a couple of police officers walking towards Justin Hammer.

"I told you that five minutes ago," Maya heard Hammer say to the technician as her and Pepper stopped next to them. "That's your guy here," Pepper said and Justin turned to look at her in shock. "Excuse me?" he asked. "You heard her," Maya said with a smirk making Hammer throw a glare in her direction.

"You're being placed under arrest," a police officer said as he grabbed ahold of Mr. Hammer. "Are you kidding me?" he asked. "Hands behind your back sir," a police officer told him.

"I'm trying to help here," Justin complained. He then looked over at Pepper and Maya and chuckled. Pepper glared at him and pushed Maya behind her as Hammer started talking to them. "I get it. I see what you're doing. You're trying to pin this on me, huh? That's good. That's good. You're starting to think like a CEO, taking out the competition. I like that. You think you're making a problem for me?" he asked as he was led away. "I'm gonna make a problem for you. I'm gonna be seeing you again real soon."

Maya rolled her eyes and smiled innocently at the man and yelled, "Bye, Mr. Hammer. Have fun in jail!"

Pepper chuckled from beside her before giving her a serious face and saying, "Maya, that wasn't very nice." Maya looked up at her and then the two broke out into a fit of laughter as they made their way outside.