5 - Frank and Friendly

Note: Freshly written. Not edited.

***

Chapter 5 - Frank and Friendly

"Kita mo na? Babalik ka rin naman pala. 'Di ka pa sumabay kay Vien kanina," sabi ni Keira habang papalabas kami ng Starbucks Greenbelt. There she goes again with her teasing.

I close my eyes and sigh before throwing a deadly glare her way. "Alam mo ikaw, kanina ka pa. Pasalamat ka na-miss kita kasi kung hindi, kanina pa kita nasakal sa kakaasar mo sa'kin diyan."

Keira only laughs at my reaction. Clearly, she's enjoying this despite whatever mess she has inside her head. We are on our way to Torres Building where our office is. I'm now holding Art's drink in one hand and his food in the other. Apparently, his favorite is Iced Americano and I want to ask him why.

Pinagbuksan na ako ni Keira ng pinto ng kotse because my hands are full. Upon getting in the car, I immediately notice the bags in her backseat.

"Ang dami mo namang dala? Naglayas ka?" I ask when she gets in the driver seat.

She looks at me directly but her face looks like she's thinking of something smart to say. Or maybe she just thinks whether she should tell me the truth or kung magjo-joke ba siya. "Layas agad, tanghaling tapat?" she says while she reaches for her seat belt and locks it in place. There. She definitely chose the latter.

"At kailan pa may piniling oras ang naglalayas?" tanong ko sa kanya as I work with my own seat belt.

"Sa movies, bakit? Laging gabi o madaling araw 'pag tulog na lahat."

I groan. "Seriously, though. What's the problem?"

As if sensing utter seriousness in my tone, Keira drops any joke she may have been thinking of telling. "Sa condo ko na nga ikukwento mamaya, 'di ba?"

Tinignan ko muna siya nang ilang segundo bago magsalita. I sigh. "Fine. I'll drop it until later."

I can tell by her look that whatever's happening is really bothering her. You won't know it immediately, but for someone na nakasama ko na sa iisang bubong araw-araw, I know Keira too damn well to feel that any moment now, she might spill it. But I'd rather she tell me in a proper place like our couch than here in her car.

So for now, I'll shut up.

She nods and starts the car. Wala nang masyadong nagsalita sa'min after that. Hindi naman gano'n kalayo ang Greenbelt sa office so in twenty minutes or so, nakarating din kami agad. Well, that's good. Malapit sa malls ang office.

I grab my bag and Art's food and drink before opening the door. "Are you sure you'll be fine?" I ask Keira one last time.

She looks at me and nods. She doesn't forget flashing me a reassuring smile. "Oo nga! Kaya sige na, lambingin mo na si Art." And then her reassuring smile quickly turns to a teasing one.

I can't help rolling my eyes. "Lambingin your face. I'll just clear the air."

"Oo na, sige na. Go na, mag-e-emote muna ako sa condo."

Kumunot ang noo ko sa sinabi niya. "Ang arte mo rin, a. Antayin mo 'ko bago ka mag-emote. Nood ka munang movies."

"Okay, okay. Parang nanay," she says as she laughs finally.

"Good. I'll see you tonight." Lumabas na ako ng kotse niya at tsaka siya inantay makaalis. Pumasok ako sa loob ng building namin and go directly to the elevator. I push the button for 5th floor and wait. Mag-isa lang ako ngayon dito sa elevator and it seems na parang konti lang ang mga taong naglalabas-masok dito. I guess for offices lang 'to talaga and because the building's not that big, konti lang din ang offices na nandito.