7 - Wonders

Chapter 7 - Wonders

Sitting in front of the computer makes me less productive. I should be writing my review for any book or searching the web for a potential article but I just stare at my computer screen for who knows how long?

I've been tapping my foot non-stop and if my fingers are edible, they'd have been gone by now. I'm worried about Keira. I have texted her already earlier to calm her down but I don't know if it worked. She said she'd wait for me bago siya gumawa ng kahit na anong desisyon. Gusto ko na sanang umuwi kanina kaso ayokong iwan ang trabaho ko. Ayokong may masabi yung mga tao sa office na nagagawa ko ang gusto ko dahil kaibigan ako ni Vien or because I'm someone special when I really am not.

I hate hearing rumors about me around.

I stopped biting my nail maybe a moment ago because now, I can hear the tapping of the eraser at the end of the pencil I'm holding against the table. It feels like I'm in two worlds and that my mind is divided. One is thinking about Keira and is nervous for her kahit hindi ko pa naman alam ang buong kwento and the other half is here with me, recognizing the sound of the eraser tapping against my wood table and the blank screen staring back at me waiting to be filled with words. I am there and I am here, but barely.

Someone taps my shoulder so I pull my other foot that's in the other world into this world for a second. "Ronn, are you okay?" I look up at the owner of the voice and my eyes focus on Vien hovering over me.

I buffer for a good 2 seconds before I nod and answer, "Y-yeah, fine."

"Dapat umuwi ka na kanina, e. Come, I'll get you home," ani Vien nang nakakunot ang noo at puno ng pag-aalala ang mukha.

"I'm fine, V. I just spaced out but I'm okay. Besides, I'll get to talk to Keira once I get home naman," I assure her.

She thinks this over for a few seconds so I smile at her reassuringly.

She sighs. "Okay. Lika na, hatid na kita sa inyo."

"Sure. Thank you. I owe you one."

I turn my computer off without logging out my Goodreads account and fix my things. I grab my phone and text Keira that I'm on my way home.

"Wait here, magpapaalam lang ako kay Art," Vien says to which I nod.

It takes her a minute to come out of Art's office, laughing. They must share an inside joke, besides, matagal na yata silang magkakilala. I'm really curious, though, kung paano sila naging magkaibigan. There's something really fascinating about first meetings. There's some magic in it that will still be there whenever you think about it or when you tell it to other people. Minsan, ramdam din ng mga taong kinukwentuhan mo yung magic na dala nito. I wish one day Vien tells me how they met 'cause it clearly seems magical, judging by how close they are now. Like best friends.

While Vien laughs, Art is clearly not enjoying it. He comes out after Vien and is wearing an expression I can't read. I mean, he's not amused and that I'm sure of. His brows are a bit furrowed and he's somewhat annoyed at Vien and whatever she said. Vien stops when she sees me so Art does too. He looks at Vien first who still has a big smile on her face like she's resisting a laugh then he looks at me and he just looks embarrassed. By what, I don't know. I just know that he looks like he wants to strangle Vien for some unknown reason and that he is very close to blushing. I can see his ears turn red.

There's an awkward silence between us three and I'm just really confused. It's like whatever they laughed about was not meant for me and they are acting like students caught talking inside a class. And I'm the teacher.

"Uh, let's go?" I ask. I'm not sure kung dapat inaaya ko ba si Vien or talagang nagtatanong ako. Hindi ko kasi sigurado kung aalis na ba kami o may pag-uusapan pa sila ni Art.