6 - Escaping the Past

Chapter 6 -Escaping the Past

I sigh as I close the door behind me. Mission accomplished. I got the air cleared out between us and managed to give him my peace offering. Well, that wasn't so bad. Huminga ako nang malalim to regain my composure.

"So."

Bahagya naman akong nagulat sa lakas ng boses na galing sa kanan ko ngayon. Lumingon ako para harapin ang isang nakangiting Vien, hawak ang isang baso ng kape.

She's smiling mischievously. I kind of don't like it. "Why were you in there?" tanong niya habang tinataas-baba ang mga kilay niya.

"I—uh," I start.

"Yeah?"

Her smile is distracting me. Why does it matter anyway? E, wala naman akong ginawang masama.

"I just talked to Art," I say, pointing my thumb toward his door behind me.

She squints. "Kaya mo ba tinanong kung ano 'yung favorite coffee drink niya?"

When I don't answer immediately, she nods. She doesn't even give me time to answer. It's like one second. She links her arm to mine and steers me toward the direction of her office.

"Okay lang 'yan, friend," she says.

"What?"

"It's okay to be attracted to that gorg face!"

Alright, what? My confusion is so evident right now but it's as if Vien isn't sensing it. "What are you saying?"

She stops in front of a table just outside her office. This one's empty so I'm guessing this workstation is mine.

She leans against the table and sighs. "Duh? I mean, sino ba namang hindi ma-a-attract sa ganoong klase ng mukha 'di ba?"

My eyebrows rise up. She is so delusional. Hindi ko alam kung inaasar niya ako o ano.

"Maputi, medyo singkit 'yung mata, tapos matangkad pa siya," sabi niya habang binibilang isa-isa ang mga katangian ni Art gamit ang mga daliri niya. "And friend! 'Yung nose! Pwedeng labanan 'yung Golden Gate Bridge! And the jaw..."

Tinignan niya lang ako pero those eyes have mischief written on them in bold letters. So I finally speak up after hearing her teasing. "Okay, first, I think sinasabi mo na lang 'yan dahil alam mo 'yung mga gusto kong features. Second, can you hold your freakin' horses because I just went there to talk to him about the great misunderstanding. I don't want to have walls between me and my now co-employees."

She seems to think it through for a few seconds before acknowledging it. Pero gano'n pa rin 'yung reaksyon niya. Parang ayaw niyang maniwala. Oh well, okay lang naman. I'll let her have her fun.

"Right... fine." She inhales as she stands straight and then lets the air out before speaking again. "Here's your workstation. I'm guessing you know that already. But this is temporary 'cause I'm still tryna fix your office there next to mine," she continues, to which I only nod. "You can do whatever you want with it. Bring those sticky notes of yours and colorful pens and highlighters," tuloy pa niya habang winawagayway na parang walang gana ang kanang kamay niya.

I giggle. "I do have those."

She whips her head toward me. "Seriously?"

I smile and then nod my head again. "Yup. I love colorful crafty stuff. But I won't bring them all here."

Vien narrows her eyes at me and folds her arms across her chest. "Hm, didn't peg you as the artsy-crafty type."

"Oh, I'm not. Trying hard lang. I usually make a mess out of them but I like doing it and making them neat so I just keep trying."