I Never Thought

In the next hour, I was nearly holding onto reality. I made conversation with Itachi to keep my mind focused. Every once in a while, after about my third gulp of sake, I had a adrenaline rush. I kept myself together for the most part, but my eyes would dart around the room searching for trouble. Itachi grinned. I had a really bad feeling he had planned this. 

Then, after I lost count of how many bottles I drank, I lost it. I almost blacked out, but Itachi sensed my loosing consciousness, and he took me back to the hotel. I crashed immediately after I hit the sheets. I woke up towards the middle of the night, and I had a sudden panic because I had forgotten where I was. But then I saw Itachi’s figure in the darkness in the bed across the room, and relief flushed throughout my body.

The next morning, me and Itachi took a tour of the village. He showed me places he used to go for certain reasons, and I nodded every time he looked at me. Then, we walked by the Uchiha reservation. He didn’t say a word.

Though, I had a very… entertaining time with Itachi. I hadn’t had this much fun since I was a child, playing with my best friends. And sometimes I would get this crazy idea in my head that me and Itachi could possibly be friends, but I immediately shook it off. This was only temporary. I can’t stay this close after this mission; it could get bad.

That night, I had a nightmare again. But this time, it was way more intense. I was searching for Pein, but I couldn’t find him. Then, a trail of ANBU were chasing after me, wanting to bring me back to Danzo. I didn’t want to go. Then, I stumbled upon Pein’s corpse. I began to cry.

These dreams never made any sense to me. Honestly, If I found Pein’s corpse, I don’t know what I would do. I woke up with a start, leaping up and panting, like I just finished a marathon. Itachi glanced up at me, and asked, “You alright?” “Yeah…. Bad dream, I guess.” When I settled down in my sheets, I felt the noise of him getting out of bed, then felt the pressure of mine decrease. Oh god, what is he doing?

He lifted the sheets and crawled next to me, then stroked my hair. “It’s okay.” he mumbled, as he noticed my small forming tears. I wiped them away, then turned in the other direction. “Yeah, it is. You don’t need to baby me.” I said in a hushed whisper. He wrapped his arm around me, and pulled me into a hug. I was so shocked I really didn’t know what to do. So I just lie there, waiting for it to end.

“I’m not babying you, Six. I care about you.” A grin crept across my face, but I removed it. “No you don’t.” I whispered defiantly. He chuckled. “Whatever you say.” Then after that, he got up and went back to his own bed. I sighed for relief, but at the same time felt a sense of vulnerability. I guess I felt so safe when he was with me. I straightened up, and went back to a restful sleep.

Over the next few weeks, our friendship somehow became and grew. We laughed and cracked each other some smiles. But one day, I would never forget. It was one of the best of my life.

We both walked the streets of the village, hand and hand. We’ve been used to this, but his touch always gave me chills. But he would reassure me with his warm smile that I always accepted. He had became a friend I could tell everything too. But, I always knew he thought more of me, but I ignored it. 

Later, we watched the sunset over a horizon, sitting on a grass field, basking in the setting sun. He was telling me about his long lost brother. He told me he lost him in a mission and that his team had failed. I felt so bad, I wrapped my fingers through his. “I’m sorry. I’m sure you were a great older brother.” “The opposite, actually,” he sighed with a chuckle, “which is exactly why I regret fighting with him that morning.” 

“It’s okay.” I whispered to him. He smiled down at me, then pulled me to my feet. “Come on, I have an idea.” He pulled me through the streets, then stopped at a store. He bought some supplies I wasn’t supposed to see, then rushed me back to the hotel. We jumped on the bed, and he took out the supplies: A needle, some black ink, and rubbing alcohol. I gave him a confused look, then he replied, “I’m going to give you a tattoo.” I immediately shook my head. I didn’t want something on my skin that lasted forever. Since I was leaving him soon anyway. “Don’t worry, I’ll be gentle. This is so you’ll remember me forever. Please?” He grinned, pulling on my arm. Suddenly, something told me to let him. I held out my arm. 

A little passed my veins on my wrist, he slowly started to scratch the inked-needle into my skin. I sucked in my breath at the pain, but I could bare. I’ve felt much worse pain. “Close your eyes.” I did, and after a while he went, “Okay, open them.” I looked down at the picture, and my eyes widened. He engraved the Uchiha symbol. “Why? I’m not part of your family or anything…” “I know. But now you’ll always remember me.”