t h r e e

As soon as the classroom door closed, a strained atmosphere began to cast over both of the boys. The school corridor was eerily quiet, with only Troye's squeaking footsteps and the mutters of muted conversation in other classrooms being heard.

Troye sighed, annoyance evident in his tone as they continued their walk to the dreaded principals office. It wasn't like Troye hadn't been there priorly due to similar incidents, but despite the fact that Mrs Hart liked him she had made it extremely clear that another major incident that involved him could result in serious consequences.

Troye's lids were heavy as he glanced over at Connor again, his sight beginning to absorb the individual next to him properly for the first time. His pale but slightly muscular arms were drooping down his sides, his mouth merely a straight line as that familiar rouge colouring found its way back onto his cheeks.

Troye couldn't help but find that highly amusing, the way the Connor seemed to get so flustered around anybody. You would expect that someone who was so academically gifted would have the ability to present themselves as confident, cocky even, but alas the slightly older looking boy didn't posses that quality.

"Is there any reason why you keep staring at me?"

Troye almost missed the question (or rather accusation) as he caught Connor's eye. The usually subdued green pupils had been overcome with bursts of emerald, of jade and undertones of lime. Despite the surprise confidence he had pulled together to ask the question, he seemed frightened. It was almost as if feared the response.

With all these thoughts flooding to his brain, Troye maintained his usual self-assured persona with a poised expression.

"Me? Nothing. Nothing at all."

It made Troye grin profoundly when he noticed Connor roll his eyes. Sparking a reaction that would be considered anything less than 'perfect' by his teachers and fellow peers was pretty hilarious, and it was interesting to see just how much his buttons could be pushed.

"Yeah well, whatever 'nothing' is, just stop okay?" Connor's arms immediately crossed over his chest as he spoke, as if he was self conscious or intimidated.

Troye tipped his head, his eyes trained to the now newly formed muscles in Connor's upper arms. They hadn't seemed that apparent beforehand, but with the way Connor's shirt had been tightened, Troye felt extremely surprised. Almost impressed.

"Sorry. I wasn't aware I had to ask to look at you. What's the charge?"

The sarcasm in Troye's voice could be heard from miles away as he was hit with a sheepish glare from Connor. Troye swore he saw him flinch slightly upon the words 'what's the charge', a grave and glazed look in his eyes before he composed himself.

"What are you going to tell Mrs Hart?" He changed the subject with the simple question, and for once Troye decided to reciprocate instead of acting like a giant dick head.

"I don't know." He replied honestly, which seemed to shock Connor. "I wasn't supposed to get into trouble again."

He paused, before allowing his eyes to swivel towards Connor.

"You know that everything I said to Miss Burr was a joke...right?"

"You and I have different definitions of jokes." Connor was blunt in his response, not looking Troye in the eye as he continued. "People like her work hard at school and all for what? Someone to just throw it back in their face?"

"She teaches Home Ec, what's she got to work hard for?"

Connor shook his head, a defeated expression gracing his features. "You don't get it, do you Troye? People like you never do."