f i v e

"You seem distracted, Troye."

The sound of Blessing's composed tone snapped Troye out of his previous trance, his sight locked on the computer screen in front of him. The two boys, alongside Caspar of course, were sat in the computer lounge, trying but failing to complete the work set by one of their two teachers, Mr Fine.

"Me? I'm fine." Troye managed to say back in a somewhat convincing tone. "Just...thinking."

"Anything important?" Blessing pressed further, only to be cut off by Caspar.

"Nah, he's just thinking about Connor."

Troye's eyes darted to his side, his sight narrowed towards Caspar.

"What makes you say that?"

"Nothing." Caspar simply shrugged, a smirk on his face as he turned back to his own Macbook.

Troye rolled his eyes, settling on letting the comment fly over his head as he began to type again.

"Were you really thinking about him?" Blessing's voice was almost silent against Troye's ear, causing him to press down onto the computers keys a little bit harder than necessary.

"No." Was his reply, his teeth gritted slightly as he tried to compose himself. "I'm fine Bless, really. Besides, why would I waste my time thinking about him of all people?"

"Okay, okay, no need to get so defensive." Blessing held his hands up as if he was protesting his innocence, though he couldn't help but grin a little.

"I'm not being defensive!"

"That's what they all say." Caspar's tone was almost mocking which resulted in Troye shoving him off his seat harshly, causing his best friend to yelp in surprise as his body made contact with the classroom floor.

"Okay now that was uncalled for." Caspar grimaced, his expression resembling a fake pout as Blessing helped him up onto his feet. Troye only had the capacity to roll his eyes, an apology unlikely to pass his lips as he continued to study the images on computer.

"Just...just leave him, okay." He heard Blessing whisper to Caspar before settling back down, a look of confusion sweeping both of their faces as they continued to work in silence. "He's a little tetchy today."

"You can say that again." Caspar muttered under his breath, shaking his head from side to side as he began to concentrate again on the work at hand.

He failed to notice the way Troye's fists clenched as he spoke, the expression on his face defeated.

-

After the lesson with Mr Fine, who was understandably unimpressed by the three boys lack of work, Troye headed off to his Psychology lesson with Mr Chapman a little earlier than expected. He was about to enter the classroom, despite the fact the lesson didn't start for another five minutes, when he realised that Connor was already inside and deep in conversation with his teacher.

"Are you going to tell me what happened to your eye?" Mr Chapmans tone was smooth like his neck tie as he sat up on the surface of his desk, with Connor standing opposite him at a shorter height.

Troye held his breath, taking a moment to glance around the clear corridor before peaking around the door to see exactly what was going on.

"I told you; I fell."

Bullshit was all Troye could think to himself as he watched Mr Chapman study Connor's movements, with something slightly unnerving in his stare.

"Connor. You know that I know about your line of work..."