f o u r t e e n

"So, tell me exactly about what went down between you and Connor last night."

It was the next morning, and Sage was already interrogating Troye over a cup of fresh coffee in the living room. The rest of the household were yet to wake up, meaning that the two siblings were free to dish the dirt without getting caught.

"Nothing 'went down' between us. I swear." Troye paused for a moment, considering the kiss he had shared with Connor and felt his throat constrict.

"Troye, I know when you're lying. You fall off into this daze and try to act all serious." Sage set her cup down onto the table, before folding her arms and glaring at Troye expectantly.

"Okay, so maybe something happened..." Troye began, with Sage's eyes growing wide.

"And that something would be?" She pressed further, her tone expectant.

"Well, we may have sort of kinda kissed a little."

Sage's mouth flew wide open, with Troye's hand flying over her mouth before she shrieked aloud.

"There were circumstances Sage. It was a life or death situation!"

"Since when has kissing been the resort of avoiding a life or death situation?" Sage tried to reply, but her voice was muffled by her brothers palm pressed over her lips.

Troye sighed, removing his hand and slumping down into the sofa.

"Connor has this job where people can pay him to dance, to talk, to make out or to...well, you know what I'm going to say right?"

Sage took a moment, before nodding her head.

"And there was this guy there, this ancient and sleazy and violent old one who was one of Connor's customers. The thing was, Connor was going to sleep with him to get some money, but I ended up giving some of my allowance to him to spare him from it. Then, well, I had to look like a paying customer...so we kissed."

Sage stayed silent, her expression furrowed as Troye continued.

"And then after I paid Connor he offered to do anything I wanted, which I kindly declined, and we ended up talking for the rest of the night. I told him I just wanted to make him feel normal, you know? As opposed to being..."

"A prostitute?"

Troye winced slightly. "I think he prefers to be called a performer."

Sage bit her lip, sinking next to her brother on the couch.

"He said," Troye closed his eyes, having to gather himself before he continued. "he said he only does what he does not only to get money, but to feel loved."

"I don't really know what to say about that."

"Me neither." Troye glanced down at his knees, his heart beating steadily. "The thought of people using him and not appreciating him upsets me, you know?"

"Because you like him?"

"Not only that. He just deserves to be loved like he loves everybody else."

Troye immediately closed his mouth, with Sage scrambling off the seat with an excited expression.

"You just admitted you like him!"

"Sage, listen..." Troye began, but she was shaking her head wildly.

"You finally admitted it. You finally admitted it!"

Troye tried his hardest to remain serious, but found himself smiling. "Listen, this stays between you and me okay? No telling Mum or Dad, and especially not Tyde."