37- all along

i walked into the decorated gym, sweating teens in dresses and tuxes surrounding me.

"let's go get some punch," my date said as he grabbed my hand and dragged me to the table lined with drinks and snacks.

"okay," i said, following him.

"hey man what's good," one of his friends said as his fingertips slipped away from mine as he disappeared into the crowd.

"what a gentleman, huh?" i said quietly to myself as i filled my punch and walked over to the metal double doorframe, resting against it.

i scanned the room and winced at the sight of loving couples kissing and sharing passion for each other. i have never been one to get into a relationship, or keep one, rather.

"it's not you, it's me" and all that bullshit, i don't buy it for a second. they were all just douchebags.

"hey y/n!" my friend said as she danced over to me.

"hey y/f/n... guess who ditched me?" i said rhetorically, rolling my eyes.

"awe, babe," she said, giving me a tight hug and rubbing my arms. "it's okay, you don't need him to have a good night. i'll text you later," she said walked away back into the crowd, leaving me alone yet again.

just then, i felt a pair of hands on my hips as i spun around to see a dark haired, brown eyed boy standing inches from my face. i recognized him from 5th period spanish class, there's always been something about him that made my heart flutter.

"hi, i'm y/n," i said quietly, his warm breath hitting my face, causing my breathing to hitch.

"hi, Shawn," he whispered. "why are you all alone?" he said, his eyelids fluttering up and down slowly, his caramel eyes entrancing.

"my date dump–" i said before feeling his soft lips graze mine, causing a shiver to roll down my spine.

he pulled his face away, his forehead still rested against mine. i reached up to cup my hands on his cheeks and laid a soft kiss on his pink lips. we shared a long kiss, one that took my breath away, but kept me wanting more.

he pulled away and slipped his hand down my arm and grabbed my fingertips, leading me out to dance floor.

he moved his hands down to the small of my back and slipped his fingertips under the slits in the back of my dress. my skin tingled at his touch. he pulled me close to him as i laid my arms over his shoulders.

i looked into his eyes, new to me, yet so familiar feeling.

he leaned his head down above my shoulder as i laid my head on his. we swayed to the beat of the music as he caressed my back with his calloused fingertips.

"you're beautiful, did you know?" he whispered in my ear. "i've always thought you were."

a smile crept to my face as i took a deep breath in and let it out slowly.

i felt strangely safe in his arms, like i belonged. i looked back on the shed tears and broken hearts i had endured and looked back at him. it has been him all along.

***

(lmao wtf is this)

i meet shawn tomorrow !! omg

-lindsey