Lunch

Joelle's P.O.V
I just finished up the plan I was going to show Mr.Marks and it's just coming up to 4 o'clock.
I begin to walk over to the office when this brown skin girl approaches me with a smile.
      " Hello, I'm Tara," she greets and I smile, I remember her going into Landon's office yesterday and I'm sure she's here to lay down her territory.
     " Joelle," I respond and she looks me up and down for a moment, holding the smile.
      " I'm Mr. Marks girlfriend so I'll probably be seeing you around," she claims and there it goes, the implied 'stay away from my boyfriend' statement. Mr. Marks has had plenty of girlfriends, if that's what you want to call it, come in and out in my short 3 months here. I wish they would just talk to him about staying around instead of approaching me with the cliche commentary.
      " Yes, I'm sure," I smile and she searches me before walking away.
       " Mr. Marks, I'm sorry if you're busy I can just come back, I forgot to check in with nova first," I proclaim as I look at him with his head laying on the desk .
     " No, it's fine, have a seat," he jumps up and I look at him hesitantly.
     " You look tired, we can go over it tomorrow," I reason and he shakes his head.
" Sit," he demands and I just come in and sit down.
We go over the plan fairly quick and I start packing up my things.
" I'll walk you out, I'm about to head out to a dinner meeting soon anyway," Landon proclaims and I look over to him hesitantly.
     " It's fine, I, ummm, need to go talk to nova before I leave," I proclaim because I need any excuse to just leave. With out him.
      " Are you avoiding me," he asks with a smile as he leans against his desk and I laugh.
      " I came in here to work with you now didn't I mr. Marks," I smile and he nods.
      " Well then why can't I walk you out," he asks and I look at him wondering how it's not obvious, he has girls coming from left field and I'm not interested in getting involved with all of that.
     " You have a girlfriend that did everything but actually say she would kill me if I came around you more than necessary," I explain and he looks at me confused.
     " Girlfriend," he questions and I nod.
    " Tara," I state and he just stares at me.
      " I don't have a girlfriend," he claims and I look up to him.
    " Well, whatever you guys have going on means something to her," I suggest and he stands up to come closer to me.
       " Well, it means nothing to me, so let me walk you out, that's an order," he demands and I burn my eyes into him.
     " I am not some type of servant, you're my boss only when it comes to my work," I say crossing my arms and his eyes scan me.
       " Ok, well I need to talk to you about work so let's talk about it as we walk," he smiles and his smile seems to make my anger disappear.
       " I'll make sure to come over tomorrow so that we can discuss it, professionally," I respond and he comes a little closer.
       " Professionally, of course," he nods and I look up to him.
      " Have a nice night," I smile and grab my bag to leave.
" you too," he calls and I laugh. He's cute, but not cute enough for all of the problems he'd bring me.
    ***
     Waking up the next morning I do my same routine. I put on a plush pink dress and some nude shoes, I straightened my hair last night so I decide just to leave it down and add a little lip gloss and mascara.
        On my way to work I always listen to India Arie because something about her music just lifts up my spirits. I get out of my car which was having a little bit of trouble starting this morning and head into the office with enough time to make a coffee.
      " Good morning Joelle," My friend Sam says. He's one of the janitors here and always shows up early like me so that he can get his cup of coffee.
     " Good morning Sam, how's little sam doing," I ask and he smiles.
       " His school play went well. he played the bunny in "Alice in wonderland. Asked about you all night," he answers and I smile.
     " I'm so sad I couldn't make it don't remind me. That's so cute, I need pics," I request and he pulls out his phone happily showing little Sam on the screen.
     " The cutest honestly," I acknowledge and just then someone comes in to greet us.
      " Good morning Sam, ms. Parker," mr. Marks smiles and Sam answers him before I do.
      " Doesn't your assistant get you're coffee in the morning," I ask and he shrugs.
" I've decided to change things up," he smiles and I nod hesitantly.
" So, what is this I hear about your son Sam," he asks and Sam smiles as he shows Landon the phone.
"  Nice, cute kid ," Landon says and I nod in agreement.
      " Thank you sir," Sam nods and then gets up to leave." It's about time for me to start my shift," he smiles and I stop him before he goes.
    " Do you mind me going to lunch with you, my car was having a few problems," I ask and he nods quickly.
     " Of course, I could always use the company," he smiles and then walks away. I grab my cup as well and get ready to head into my office.
       " I could have taken you to lunch," Landon says and I shake my head.
     " No thanks, I rather not fall into the arms of Mr.Marks," I smile and he laughs.
      " Lunch is innocent, unless you're thinking of something different and that would be very unprofessional of you ms. Parker," he smiles and I can't help but smile back.
     " Lunch is fine," I immediately regret, but I can't bring myself to think that I'm the one who can't control myself.
      ****
    At lunch Landon takes me to this overly done place that doesn't sell cheeseburgers. The table cloths are as white as a cloud and the silverware can be seen shining from a mile away.
     " Very expensive place you chose," I smile and he looks up to me.
       " I come here so much for meetings, I think I just keep a standing appointment," he smiles and I laugh a little.
      " Clients are as high in as you," I joke and he laughs a little bit.
       " If you think I'm high in, my clients are way worse," he proclaims and I shrug as I look back down at the menu.
     " What do you normally get from here," I ask and he names off this shrimp dinner.
      " I guess I'll have the same," I agree and he calls over the waiter to order. The whole time he's talking, the waiters eyes are glued to me. I try to smile, but I know she isn't friendly.
     " So, how did you and Sam become so close," Landon asks and I smile thinking of one of my first friends in the office.
      " One day I stayed in the office late and Sam was doing a night shift. He had no one to watch the baby the mother had dropped off, so when I overheard I volunteered to keep him in my office," I begin." Sam came back in and we talked for a while and ever since then we have been getting closer," I answer and Landon nods.
      " I didn't even know he has a kid because he works so much," Landon starts and I look over to him.
     " How many people do you really know besides who you find pretty or profitable ," I ask and he looks offended for a moment.
     " Nova," he call out and I stare him down.
    " You don't find Nova pretty ," I ask and he shakes his head quickly.
      " It doesn't matter what I think about her. I know what people say around the office, but I really do try not to mix work with pleasure," he proclaims and I look over to him.
     " Then what is this," I ask and he smiles.
     " This is lunch," he answers and I sit back in my seat. I've already asked questions that would be deemed as unprofessional and I refuse to go any farther.
      " Right, this is lunch," I breath out.