The Truth

Joelle's P.O.V
" Alright guys, it's been fun, but I need to get Joelle home," Landon smiles as we all sit in the living room talking.
" Oh, I love her, I have to take her shopping, but I love her," his mom calls and I laugh.
" I would love to go get criticized by even more people on what I wear," I joke and she laughs.
" Come back soon honey,"she says hugging me and I hug her before going over to Gabi.
" We have to get together before we leave," she smiles and I nod.
" Of course," I smile because Gabi does seem like very nice company and she talks just as much as me which is a rarity.
" Bye guys," I say once again and then head for the door with Landon.
" Wait," I hear Justin say running over to me and he gives me a piece of paper before he says goodbye. I give him a hug and look over to Landon in shock. Winning over families must be my calling.
     " Nice meeting you," I smile and he let's go of me.
    " You too," he responds and we head out the door.
     " He hugged me and gave me this," I say shockingly looking at the paper and Landon laughs.
      " If I didn't know any better, I'd say he liked you," Landon proclaims and I sit back in my seat.
This night was far from what I expected.
" Jealous," I ask smiling over and he laughs.
     " If the fact that my mom likes you, I'm beyond impressed. I have to disagree about the dress though, it fits you well," he winks and I glare at him playfully.
      " You're family is so funny, I really did have a good time tonight," I claim and he glances to me.
      " I did too and my moms house is never a good time," he laughs and I join in.
     " She is a very outspoken lady," I proclaim.
    " You're lucky she liked you, that could of gone way differently," he proclaims and I look over to him lightly.
     " What's not to like," I joke and he nods to agree.
" that's what scares me the most," he says out loud, but it's so low that I don't even think he meant for the thought to leave his head.
" Your dad," I start and he answers the awkward question before I can finish the statement.
" Dead," he calls out and I look at his drained face.
" At least you have the closure of death," I breath out and I definitely didn't mean to say that out loud, but I know from experience that he wouldn't let this go.
"My mom may be somewhere in this world living a life she thought she couldn't have with us or she could of died shortly after she left because life caught up to her," I proclaim and he stops in front of my house.
" Which one would you rather be true," he asks putting the car in park, looking over to me.
" I'm not sure. When I was younger, I hoped she was somewhere that I could find her because I loved her. Now, I love her so much that I hope she got the closure she needed, wherever she's at without me," I proclaim and he stares at me as if he's thinking.
" It's not so much that I miss my dad, but I miss the fact that he was the one with responsibility," he blurts and I look at him lightly.
" Is this what you want to do," I ask making eye contact with him and he looks towards the window.
" Sometimes I just wish I had the choice, I may have been happy with this if it wasn't forced," he admits and I'm sure the glasses of champagne we had at dinner are making us speak way more than we would like, but some things need to be said.
" Money isn't everything, all those women you have isn't everything, it's the quality of life. The way you feel before you go to sleep at night," I explain and he looks over to me.
" I don't believe in love," he says randomly and I look at him before getting out the car.
" I wish I didn't," I respond and his eyes land on me.
"Not just loving someone, but anything. I don't believe love is an emotion, I find it most times to be an excuse," he calls and I laugh dryly. " love work so you can be a workaholic. Love a person so we can rationalize bad decisions." He goes on.
" Then I don't think you've really ever loved something or someone because love may have you do some crazy things, but it's real," I claim and just before he speaks I cut him off.
" Whoever made you hate love is going to make you that much more in love when you find someone who's worth it. Goodnight Landon I had a really good time," I smile and he looks at me intensely.
" Goodnight Joelle," he says lightly.
****
The next morning I wake up pretty early for a Saturday.
I drink a cup of coffee with my cereal and then head to the bathroom to get ready for my day.
I decide to put on my white sox jersey and some slightly ripped jeans. I pull my hair into a high bun and just put on some mascara and Vaseline on my lips.
I grab my purse and put on my Nike gymshoes before heading out the door.
Ring. Ring. Ring.
My phone is going off in my purse and it takes me a minute to dig it out.
"Hello," I say into the phone and I hear Sam talking into the phone hectic.
" Can you please watch Sam, I'm so sorry but I was called into work and I really could use the money and never mind I shouldn't," he begins but I stop him.
" Of course Sam, I'm going to get my car right now so you would have to drop him off," I respond an he sighs with relief.
" I'll pick you up and take you to the car shop," he says and I thank him before hanging up.
      " Hello Jo," Little Sam says excitedly and I smile to him.
     " Hey love, how are you," I ask him and he tells me good before I look over to big Sam.
" and you," I ask and he shrugs, I can tell he's stressed, but he won't stop working until he knows he can provide everything he wants for Sammy.
" Still moving," he answers and I look at him with sympathy I don't want to show.
" I know you and this isn't going to last forever," I say trying to convince him and myself because after his wife left him, things went from hard to harder and I try to do anything to help.
" You are a great girl," he says and I give him a hug before Sammy and I get out to get my car.
" Bye dad," he says as he kisses him on the cheek and I pick him up so that we can head inside.
Ring. Ring . Ring.
I pick up the phone thinking it was Sam saying that I left something.
" Hello," I say into the phone and a male voice floats into my ear.
" good morning, any plans today," Landon asks and I look at my screen.
" Morning, how did you get my number," I ask and he laughs.
" You work for me, I have your social," he points out and I laugh.
" I'm babysitting today since Sam had to come in," I say lightly and he sighs a little.
" Miss me already," I joke and he laughs a little.
" Yes actually, I don't know if you're aware, but I don't have many friends," he acknowledges and I immediately feel bad.
" We are going to breakfast and then the park, you can come along," I proclaim and he says ok a little too quick.
" Meet me at my house in ten so we can just take one car," I suggest and then we hang up the phone.