He Doesn't Bite, Much

Layla's POV:

Waking up to the blaring alarm clock isn't exactly fun. I groan dragging my self out of bed, but something feels off. Reths gone. No he can't be outside, the door was locked and dogs can't turn invisible!

"Reth!" I call getting up and looking around.

As if on cue Reth pokes his head out from under my bed.

"Don't scare me like that." I mumble reaching out and rubbing his head.

I walk to my closet pulling out some dark black skinny jeans and a loose purple shirt. I disappear into the bathroom brushing my hair and adding making up.

"Alright I need you to be a good boy, my father is coming back today and if he finds you he'll get rid of you." I crouch down petting his soft fur again.

He purrs before showing me another creepy smile. I walk over grabbing my bag and holding the door open, "I'll feed you when I get home okay." he barks and I head out to school.

I hop in my car before taking off, when I get there I see my group of friends laughing and talking. They see me head toward them so they start waving.

"Hey Layla boo!" my perky friend Cassie says running and hugging me.

"To early." I laugh wiggling out of her death grip.

I'm not a big fan of laughing, lipstick wearing, hoes but she's my exception. (I tried to put it as nice as possible) Landon has been my best friend since I was born, so has Sam. Sam is a completely different story, she and I have been friends since middle school and she isn't exactly perky she's mean and crabby but I love her for it.

"Oh come on it's not that early, hey why do you smell like dog?" Cassie asks me pulling into shoulder length. Just like her to get straight to the point.

"Oh yea funny story, I have a dog." I say bluntly.

"And your dads cool with that?" Landon was trying to play it off cool but I could hear the worry in his voice. Landon's always been there for me, he would get into screaming matches with my dad just to justify my point.

"Well...." I trail off.

He groans before slinging an arm over my shoulder, "it could have rabies." Sam laughs.

"Well I'll take him to the vet today, I need to get him dog food and a collar anyway." I mumble as we start heading toward the building.

"Then I'll go with you." Landon adds just as the bell screeches.

*****

It was a loud car ride home because Landon was in the car yelling the lyrics to 'Get Lucky'. Relieved to see dads still at work I pull into the drive way. Once we get inside we drop our bags in the hallway rushing upstairs with Landon behind me. I open the door spotting Reth on my bed gazing at me happily, but as soon as it came it dies as he growls at Landon.

"Are you sure he doesn't have rabies?" he asks hiding behind me.

I laugh before walking over and scooping Reth up into my arms, "He's harmless!" I twirl him around before stopping and head toward Landon.

"Whatever you say." he says eyeing Reth suspiciously.

I can't say that was rude because Reth was giving him his best puppy glare that was quite cute if I might add.

"Break it up you too." Rolling my eyes, walking past Landon and to my car.

We hop in and Reth sits on my lap continuing his glaring match with Landon. Lets just say the rest of the car ride was tense! After what seemed like forever we pulled into the vet. I step out holding Reth into my chest walking beside Landon earning me a growl.

"I don't think he likes me." Landon says frowning at the growling pup.

"No he's just cautious, he doesn't trust you yet." I say patting Reths head to stop him from growling.

"Oh yea I feel much better." he mumbles opening the door open.

"Your such a gentle man." I say using a British accent.

After we sign in a woman who looks in her twenties tells us to follow her, for some reason I couldn't stop glaring at the back of her head. She just made me want to brake a hole into her freaking face!

"He seems healthy." she was talking more to herself while she was examining him.

"Thanks for telling us what we already know." I mumble but I know she an hear me.

She's still starring at me not doing anything, "what! Check my dog already." I snap.

Reth looks as if he's laughing, which is weird considering he's a dog. She just rolls her eyes continuing like she should do!

"Layla?" Landon asks putting a hand on my shoulder causing Reth to growl louder.

"Sorry!" I blurt out.

Once she finished, that slow whore, we picked up some dog food and a collar. We left and our drive home was an awkward silence.

"Did you know her or something?" Landon asks.

"No!" I snap stepping on the gas.

"Why were you angry at her?" he laughs.

"Because she..." I didn't really have a reason.

After that he didn't urge on we just drove in silence. I drove him home and then I headed home. I need to get Reth inside before my parents come. It didn't take long to notice my dads car in the drive way, my whole face pales as I pull in. Damn.