chapter one

Explosions.

Sonia, Manic and Sonic were running through many exploding mines, away from Robotnik's newest robot to capture them. It was a clever design, made to figure out the hedgehogs biggest fears and weakness', and use them against the siblings to make them vulnerable. So far, the machine had managed to gather together that Manic could not resist stealing something worth lots of money, and Sonia could be easily distracted with the opportunity to relax and clean up. Finally, Sonic's weakness, is that he is unable to resist helping someone in need.

The robot, also named R.E.X, had managed to lure the hedgehogs to a small city in the corner of Robotropolis, using small children it had managed to find. A portable robotocizer had been brought to the destination, and was awaiting the hedgehogs arrival.

"Sonic! IT'S SPEEDING UP!" Manic shrieked from behind. The blue hedgehog turned around to see R.E.X using turbo boosters to catch up to the triplets. Slowing down a notch, Sonic grabbed his two siblings' hands and sped off towards a far away mountain. Unknown to them, a tracking device had been attached to Sonic's quills.

XXX

Sonic's eyes scanned around, the sound of his siblings slow intakes of air calming him down. It was now late in the night, and the royal triplets had lost Robotnik's robot. Although Sonic, who would be the first to say that they were safe, had a bad feeling in the bottom of his gut, and never had his gut been wrong before.

He sighed, reaching for the stick beside him, and poked the fire ahead of him, relishing in the warmth that surrounded him. 'Robotnik's getting smarter...' Sonic thought. 'I didn't even make a dent in its stupid armour!' Sonic scoffed, crossing his arms. His eyes closed, and his head rested against a log. He knew he wouldn't get much sleep, but some was better than none.

Not even a few minutes later, Sonic's ears heard a snap of twig. Jumping to his feet, ears swivelling around trying to find the source of the sound. A hum of metal came from behind him. R.E.X stood there, tall and intimidating, scanning Sonic's prone form.

Sonic was on high alert, his mouth opened to call out to his siblings, but before he could utter a sound, a metal tentacle came from R.E.X and silenced Sonic. The metal arm wrapped around his blue body, tight, with no escape. R.E.X turned around and as silently as he appeared, he disappeared with Sonic in tow.

XXX

Upon opening his eyes, Sonic's heart leapt into his throat. His eyes stared into Robotnik's own red ones. Sonic looked down, his ankles pulled apart, along with his arms in the shape of an 'X'.

"You're awake," Robotnik's deep voice echoed around the small room they were in. "You weren't out for very long..." The man muttered, pressing buttons on a board in front of him from where he sat.

"Where are my sibs, Buttnik?" Sonic asked. His eyes were looking around, for some way to escape his imprisonment.

Robotnik's chuckle alerted him to his presence once again, the human smirking. "Safe with the other freedom fighters. They managed to escape from R.E.X before he could detain them. You, though... you weren't so lucky." Robotnik's smug smirk grew larger. "For years the resistance has been a pain in my side, but now, I have you, the resistances greatest weapon."

The round man pressed a button, an electric shock ran through Sonic's body, but the blue hedgehog bit his lip, not giving the evil man the satisfaction of his scream. A few moments passed, and the electric shock died. "I've waited years for this time to come. Tell me boy, do you know what would happen if one of the hedgehogs died before the prophecy could be fulfilled?" Robotnik asked, running a hand through his moustache.

Sonic shook his head.

"...well to put it simply, the prophecy could not be fulfilled, leaving me to keep my empire!"

Another shock ran through his small body, this time a scream ripped out of his throat, hoarse and loud. Robotnik's laugh joined in with his scream, Sonic's anger flared, but he couldn't think until the pain stopped.

Robotnik hit another button, a familiar container glowing with yellow light, the power of it flowing in waves around the compacted room. Sonic gasped, aftershocks still shaking his sore body. "The chaos emerald!" His eyes looked to Robotnik, "How did you get it?!"

"I stole it." The evil grin on Robotnik's face made Sonic shiver. "Now be a good boy and let me try an experiment."

Opening the container, Robotnik guided his robot arms from the ceiling to collect the emerald. Sonic's stomach lurched. "Tell me, Sonic. How do you think your body and mind will react when it comes into contact with the emerald?" the emerald was approaching him fast, but Sonic couldn't do a thing as it came closer to him.

"Don't! You remember what happened when Dingo had the emerald, do you really want that to happen again?"

"Oh, but dear boy. Unlike Dingo, you actually have brains." Robotnik pulled the lever, the emerald stopping an inch away from Sonic's peach chest. "Any last words?"

Sonic closed his eyes, Robotnik chuckled echoing, before the emerald came into contact with his chest.

At first, it was just warm wind bathing Sonic. It was comforting. But not a second later a piercing pain shot through Sonic. He yelled, loud and shaky, the pain too much for his small mind and body.

Unbeknown to him, as he suffered, Aleena smashed through the wall behind Robotnik, surprising the egg shaped human who screamed in shock as a blaster pointed towards him. Pressing an escape button, he fell through the floor through a hatch and quickly disappearing.

Aleena quickly took the sight of her child screaming in pain, her heart leaping into her throat. "Oracle! Can you turn this machine off!?" She yelled. The desired Oracle appeared beside her, his fingers flying fast on the control board, hitting a button that removed the chaos emerald from Sonic. But that didn't stop the bright yellow light surrounding Sonic to leave, or the pain. The Oracles power surrounded him, pulling him from the machines hold, before placing him on the ground, his hand being shocked with severe pain when in contact with Sonic. "What is happening to him?" Aleena's worried voice asked, as tears poured from her eyes.

"My only guess is that Sonic's body is compatible with Chaos Energy, making him a vessel of power. In time he will be able to control the emeralds power without being in pain but now, I have no idea how to help him."

Sonic's scream of pain got louder, his mothers eyes watching him twitch and struggle to escape the pain he was in. "We need to do something!" She exclaimed, coming to a crouch beside her youngest child.

The Oracles sad eyes looked toward her, all knowing. "There... is something you can do. But you will not like the idea one bit." The Oracle offered.

"Tell me, please, anything to make his pain go away."

"Talk to him, tell him to think about escaping the pain, to get away from here, but..." Aleena's eyes encouraged him to go on. "He will be transported to another dimension, a dimension of which I do not know, due to the Chaos energy flowing through his body."

"There has to be another way!" Aleena pleaded, angry tears falling down her face, her eyes looking down to her pained son.

"This is the only way, I will explain in time, but this has to be done to end Sonic's suffering." The Oracle sighed, offering his hand to Aleena who took it with hesitation, before placing her hand on Sonic's head. The pain was brutal but she wanted, no needed to touch him before he disappeared.

"Sonic?" Aleena choked out. "Think of anywhere besides here, try to escape from the pain." The Queen cried. "Anywhere but here my sweet boy, I love you..." She leaned forward to kiss his forehead, before his scream increased and a bright golden light consumed the Queen and the Oracle. Her scream echoed throughout the city, as her hand held onto his medallion. His body nowhere in sight.