chapter nine

Robotnik's blood red eyes watched as his prisoners were roboticized, their screams of pain and terror amusing him. As the line of Mobians grew shorter he became uninterested, and headed back to his observation deck. Getting comfy in his giant chair he used a remote to turn on the multitude of screens in front of him. Security cameras popped on in many places, showing the aristocrats, some freedom fighters, secret night clubs and children on the streets among other things. He stroked one side of his moustache, as he listened in on the camera feeds.

His mind wandered, wondering what had happened to Sonic. The biggest thorn in his side that had mysteriously vanished after his experiment about four years ago. There had been no sign of him anywhere, it was like he wasn't even on the world anymore. But he knew the rodent wasn't dead, he could feel it in his boots. Letting out a sigh, Robotnik looked around his throne room in disappointment. Without the annoying blue hedgehog around it was almost too easy to take over. He had already conquered what he wanted, but there didn't seem to be a real challenge anymore. Not that he wished for him to come back, but he wished for some action, some banter, something so he could let his magnificent brain work once again. Sonia and Manic were an easy force to tackle, without their speedy brother they were hardly a challenge... he barely even tried with them most days... Although he hadn't seen or heard anything on those hedgehogs in a few days.

"How curious."

xxx

"Okay so we're in... Station Square, at least I think," Manic spoke, spinning around looking for a name, and Station Square was the only thing that he's heard or seen. He turned towards his sister who was looking around as well. "So, we're close to Sonic. But we still don't know where he's at." Manic looked to his sister who met his gaze.

"Well, we can just keep asking around, I'm sure someone has to know where he is." Sonia's eyes skimmed the crowd of animals and humans alike before her forest green eyes locked onto a pair of rabbits behind her brother, a small child and what looked to be her mother. "There, we can ask them!" Sonia pointed, before grabbing Manic's arm and dragging him down the street to the rabbits. "Hey! Excuse me!" Sonia called.

The mother turned her head to see the magenta and green hedgehogs running towards herself and her daughter. She smiled warmly in greeting.

Sonia and Manic came to a stop. Sonia smiled in return. "Hi! My names Sonia and this is my brother, Manic." Sonia introduced. "We're a little lost and was wondering if you could help us."

The rabbits warm smile widened. "Hello, It's a pleasure to meet you. Of course I can help. My name is Vanilla," The older rabbit gesture towards herself and then to the smaller one. "This is my daughter, Cream." Cream waved shyly up to the hedgehogs, her arms tightened around her Chao in her arms. Said Chao squealed and hugged her back. Vanilla looked away from her daughter and back to the hedgehogs. "So where are you two trying to get to?" Vanilla questioned.

Manic pulled his vest out from his sides, frowning at the crease that had formed on the bottom of it. "We're trying to find our brother, he's supposedly somewhere in the city but we have no clue on where to look." Manic responded. He crossed his arms over his chest, and leaned against Sonia's shoulder.

Vanilla placed her bag of fruits and veggies on the ground, moving in a bit closer to the building they were near to let people walk past. Sonia and Manic followed her lead. "Well, if your brother is around your age he could be at the local arcade which is near a cafe called Coco-Loco in Baltimore Street, or maybe down by the beach, it's quite the popular spot." Vanilla started.

Sonia butted in with a wry grin. "Yeah we can cut the beach out, he's afraid of water." Manic snickered, and Sonia smacked his arm. "Stop, it's not funny, Manic."