chapter two

4 years later...

Sonic glanced around at his group of friends. He couldn't believe it had been only hours since their latest adventure. His emerald eyes moved over to Shadow, the ebony hedgehog frowning, but a gleam of something Sonic could only think was serenity in his eyes as Cream talked on and on about how she had made the cake and muffins at the picnic they were at now made him smile lightly.

"You alright?" Knuckles asked from beside him. Sonic nodded. The echidna sighed, and leaned in, "You know that you don't have to keep your feelings kept up inside you, you have me to help... Now tell me what you're so glum about, everyone here has been picking up on it since the fight!" Knuckles demanded.

Sonic shook his head, taking a gloved hand through his blue quills. "It's been four years today, and still no sign of them." The hedgehog sighed and laid his head in his arms against the picnic table, his ears flopping over, proof that the hedgehog was not feeling okay. "What if they're really gone?" Sonic whispered.

"They're not dead." Knuckles softly said, rubbing a hand over his friends back in comfort. Sonic softly purred. "You will find them, we will find them."

"You don't know that for sure," Sonic glumly replied, twisting his body to face Knuckles from where his head rested in his arms. "You know just as well as me something bad happened for this to happen, I can't remember anything past Robotnik staring me in the face after putting the stupid emerald on my chest, I thought I was going to die, Knuckles!" Sonic exclaimed. Several friends heads turned to face them, but the two didn't seem to notice, or care.

"You're Sonic the Hedgehog," Knuckles stood up, grabbing a hold of Sonic's arm, pulling him up beside him. "The son of Queen Aleena, one of the royal triplets, born to fulfil a prophecy to stop a great evil. Your whole life you have stood against everything evil, without losing an ounce of hope. What happened to that Sonic? Where is all this mopey-dopey coming from? Your family is alive, the Master Emerald and yourself can confirm that!" Knuckles held Sonic's arms to his sides, staring the blue hedgehog in the eyes, his own violet orbs shining in determination. "You have to have hope, you need to believe that your family is still looking for you, just as you're looking for them!"

Sonic smiled. "You're a real champ sometimes you know."

"It's what I'm here for." Knuckles winked. He pulled Sonic by the arm to the food table, both taking a plate and picking out things to eat. They returned to their seats a few minutes later.

Sonic munched on his chili dog, looking at Knuckles. He didn't know how he was so lucky to have Knuckles transported to whatever world they appeared in four years ago. He didn't think he would have made it very far by himself. Since the beginning, him and Knuckles have searched for his family all around the world until they had enough and Knuckles had asked the Master Emerald where they were. Tikal only saying that they were not in the same dimension as before. It wasn't much hope, and Tikal would not answer any other questions, leaving the two best friends annoyed. As the years went by, the two had made many friends, and saved the world plenty of times. It was also a shock when they first met Dr. Eggman, both entirely sure Robotnik had lost his mind, until what Tikal had said made them realize their mistake. Although Sonic couldn't understand why it seemed as if Eggman and Robotnik could be related, and there was plenty of proof to make that assumption true, but it wasn't the same dimension...

"There is steam coming out of your ears, what are you thinking about now?" Knuckles asked suddenly, pulling Sonic from his thoughts.

Sonic shrugged and put a berry into his mouth, chewed and swallowed. "We're not from this dimension, and Eggman and Robotnik could be related, but we're not from here, so maybe it's just a coincidence?"

"Well," Knuckles spoke, chewing his own berry. "I see where you're getting from, and it does seem odd. But maybe it's just whatever this dimension has to make it feel close to what our lives were like before being transported, you know, minus the war and stuff."

""and stuff"" Sonic smirked.

Knuckles threw a grape at him, Sonic catching it in his mouth with a wink. "Up yours, Sonic."

XXX

Sonia ducked, a laser passing over her, rolling her body over to Manic who was behind a rock, with a blaster in his hands. The two siblings nodded to each other, Manic using his fingers to count down from three, before they both tucked and rolled, aiming at their targets.

Zap, zap, zap.

Three of their targets disappeared before the world around them flickered, melting down to reveal a lab.

"Well done!" Cyrus exclaimed clapping his hands, "You passed the program ten seconds faster then the last time you tried it!"

"Ten seconds isn't enough!" Manic panted, wiping a bead of sweat from his forehead. "Sonic could have that beaten in thirty seconds! While it takes us a few minutes!" The green hedgehog panted, walking himself over to a table, and planting himself into a chair, chugging a glass of water.

Cyrus hummed, himself and Sonia walking over to the same table Manic was occupying, sitting themselves down across from him. "But you seem to forget, Sonic trained for the resistance since he was just a baby, and his super speed helps him a ton in battles."

Sonia nodded. "We'll never be as fast as Sonic, but we can improve and keep getting better for when we finally find him!" The pink hedgehog smiled.

"Yeah," Manic sighed.

Cyrus frowned. "Why don't you guys go to the Oracle? It's been a while since you've seen him, maybe he'll give you some information on where Sonic could possibly be!"

"YEAH!" The two siblings jumped up. Before sitting down again, nursing their many bruises from their training. "Tomorrow," Sonia said.

Manic nodded. "Tomorrow."