chapter five

Sonic's eyes were clenched shut, and his hands were gripping the sides of his head. His head had been hurting from the moment he opened his eyes, and he couldn't understand why. He had gotten up and helped himself to the painkillers in Vanilla's medicine cabinet and was sitting at the kitchen table with a cup of steaming honey tea. Hunching over the tea he let the steam billow towards his face, letting the aroma soothe him. He let out a hum and reached forward to take another sip.

Soft footsteps coming down the hall alerted Sonic to Vanilla's presence. He let himself mellow, not needing to be alert when there was no danger near.

"Good morning, Sonic." Vanilla greeted softly. Her eyes looked towards his tea and she let herself smile before heading to the fire-stove to get herself a cuppa as well.

Sonic took another sip, put the cup down and leaned on his hand. "Good morning, Vanilla." He yawned. "Thanks for bringing me to bed last night."

Vanilla stirred a spoonful of honey into her tea and laid the spoon onto a napkin as she walked herself back to the table. "It was no problem dear, you needed the rest," The older rabbit sat herself down and took a few small sips of her tea. "Are you alright? You seem a bit pale."

Sonic couldn't be happier that someone could see through his shell, he had a hard one and the only other people who could see through him were Tails, Knuckles and Cream. He never needed to hide behind the mask around Vanilla and the others, because they knew him truly and he couldn't be happier that they cared. Giving a small smile Sonic nodded at the rabbit. "I'm fine, I woke up with a headache is all. I hope you don't mind that I took a few of your painkillers." He said sheepishly and scratched behind his ear.

Vanilla let out a giggle. "Don't worry Sonic!" She let out a sigh. "I do hope your headache is going away though." She took another sip of tea.

Sonic went to take another gulp of tea but realized he was all out. Before he
could get up to refill his cup Vanilla had already taken it and was stirring up a cup for him. "Thank you." He accepted the cup and cocked his head o the side albeit a little cutely, knowing it made everyone awh at him.

Vanilla just kissed the top of his head in return, and sat across from him in oddly comforting silence.

XXX

He could feel the sweat dripping down his body, his entire being moving as he breathed.

The cloaked figure ahead of him smirked and gave an evil chuckle. "You will die."

Sonic gasped and took a step back, but the cloaked figure leaped forward and his hand was glowing a bright red as he drove it towards his head. He could feel the heat on his temple and the

PAIN

HURTS

OH GOD IT

HURTS

MAKE IT STOP

XXX

Sonic awoke with a start, to find himself in someone's arms.

"Are you awake now?" Knuckles asked, rubbing Sonic's back. It was soothing. Sonic gasped as he reacquainted himself with consciousness. Knuckles pulled back and looked at him in concern before reaching forward and wiping tears from Sonic's eyes. "Sonic?"

"Knuckles oh god," Sonic whimpered, his head pounding once again. "My head ugh,"

The echidna left Sonic and went to the kitchen to get the painkillers and a glass of water. After getting what he needed he brought it out to the pained hedgehog.

Sonic took the pills and swallowed them before leaning his head into his hands to keep the light out of his sight. He felt nauseous and weak and out of breath. He could feel himself shaking and knew something was wrong. But what was with the dream he had. Who was the cloaked figure?

"Sonic?" Knuckles asked. "You alright now? You were crying and tossing around in your sleep."

Sonic shrugged and let himself look up at his best friend. "I had a dream," Sonic took a shuddered breath. "I don't know where I was... but there was a cloaked man in front of me sayin' that I was gonna die," Sonic clenched his fists and looked into Knuckles' eyes. "He put a hand on my head and it was glowing and it hurt so bad."

The echidna nodded, concerned and aware that this was bothering Sonic.

"Well I'm not too sure what your dream was about, but you're awake now and that's all that matters." Knuckles gave him a grin. "Get up now so we can head out, we have to do some training and you look like you could use a break."

"You call training a break?" Sonic chuckled, lifting himself off Vanilla's couch. He folded the blanket and laid it back on the cushion.

"Yes." Knuckles replied. "Vanilla also left with Cream a while ago to go into the village. She said to check in with her later."

Sonic nodded. Then proceeded to tackle Knuckles to the ground. "Say uncle."

Knuckles huffed with a chuckle. "Never!" Then flipped them over so he was pinning Sonic to the ground. "Say uncle!" Knuckles mocked.

Sonic squirmed and laughed. Knuckles along with him.

Although as the two left for Angel Island, neither of them noticed the pair of glowing yellow eyes staring at them from the shadows.