chapter ten

It was the next morning, Sonia, Manic, Knuckles and Tails could be found sitting in the kitchen having a small breakfast. Light conversation was made, but all knew that something was missing.

"But anyways yeah, he jumps up, kicks a swatbot all while playing the guitar!" Manic grinned excitedly. "He didn't miss a note!"

"No way!" Tails gasped in awe. He had always seen his big brother in a spotlight, but with new insight it was a brighter light. His big brother was so cool!

Sonia sipped her tea and listened intently as her brother retold stories from their year with Sonic. She stewed quietly, wishing for her brother to return. They had finally located him, and the twerp decided to run off with some Uncle they didn't even know about! She let her eyes drift out the window, watching the breeze shake the trees, and the little birds munch at seeds from a bird feeder. She wondered if this is what Robotropolis used to be like before Robotnik took over. She let the thought simmer away. Slowly she began to listen in to the conversation again.

"Of course he sings!" Manic exclaimed. "Has he not ever played for you before?"

Tails shook his head. "The only thing he ever played was a piano, which was about last year I think about Christmas time. He was dared by Knuckles to do it!" Tails suddenly turned to Knuckles. "You knew he could play! That's why you dared him!" He accused in glee.

Knuckles grinned and shot the rest of his coffee down his gullet. "Of course I did. But not because I knew he'd be good, but hoping he was rusty and would make a fool outta himself!" Knuckles let out a boisterous laugh. "Of course he wasn't rusty, the guys ready for anything." Knuckles shook his head in remembrance, a smile forming on his muzzle.

Sonia grinned and finished the rest of her tea as well.  As she pushed the cup onto the tray that was in between them all, Knuckles stared at her chest, before looking to Manic's. "Hey, where's your medallions?" The echidna asked in wonder. "I thought you guys never took them off."

Said hedgehogs looked down to their own chests, and rubbed the empty spot where the medallion would have sat if they were wearing them. "We gave them to the Oracle shortly after Sonic disappeared. They didn't work once he was gone."

Knuckles furrowed his brow. It wasn't something he thought about often, but when he did he always theorized about the hedgehogs and their medallions and where their power came from. When he first met Sonic he could sense his chaos energy, not that it was all that strong at that point, but he could sense it nonetheless. But his siblings there wasn't a spark of chaos in them. Well, not until they either sang or used their instruments. But then, it wasn't their energy he sensed in them... It was Sonic's. He had thought about it over and over and didn't want to believe it, but now with confirmation from Sonic's siblings, he could only assume his initial though was correct. The medallions were almost like a siphon, that took Sonic's chaos and spread it throughout his siblings medallions. He didn't know whether to be worried or to destroy the person who created the medallions.

"Knuckles?"

"Huh?" Said echidna stumbled out of his head. "Sorry. I got lost in thought there." He mumbled and scratched his head.

Sonic and his siblings were given the medallions shortly after they were born. There was no plausible way to know if Sonic had chaos energy back then, they simply didn't have the technology (or echidna) to sense it.

So how was it that the very same medallions harnessed Sonic's power, how would they know to harness it, and why?

xxx

Sonic breathed in deeply, held it for a few moments and let it out. He repeated the breathing exercise until his mind became clear.

"That's good, Sonic. Excellent." Zale lowly spoke across from him. "Open your eyes now."

Sonic did as told, letting his eyes glaze around the empty forest they were sat in. Surrounding him was daisies, his favourite flower. He breathed in their scent lovingly. He let his eyes slide back over to his uncle who once again discarded the black cloak, who was sitting cross legged opposite of him.

"Okay, so you were saying this... Shadow fella could harness his chaos energy into a spear in his hand?" Zale asked.

Sonic nodded. "Yeah, it's called Chaos Spear."

Zale pursed his lips. "And he was created right, half alien or something?" Zale took Sonic's nod as confirmation. "Okay, so let's start you off." The dark indigo hedgehog scooted a bum scooch back away from Sonic. "Close your eyes, feel your energy. Get to know it." Sonic let his eyes slip shut, listening to his Uncle instruct him. He could feel the warm energy inside him flowing. "Try and take hold of that energy, make it move, bend it, change the colour of it." Sonic did as he was told. He felt tingly, he had never done this before. "You can see it right?" Zale asked.

"Yeah,"

"Okay, good. Can you move the energy into your palm?"

Sonic stayed quiet and focused. He grasped onto the orange energy he could visualize inside of him, he moved it around slowly before inching it closer to the palm of his hand. Soon enough he could feel a warmth sitting in the middle of his hand.

"Kiddo, open your eyes."

Upon opening his eyes, Sonic couldn't believe what he saw. Floating in the palm of his hand was his chaos energy. Sonic laughed in delight. He merged his hands together, pulling the energy into a lengthened stretch, before letting it go back into its original shape. He met eyes with Zale who looked amazed and proud. "Good job, Sonic. Now, try to throw it like a spear." He shrugged his shoulder to which Sonic looked over to see a tree stump. He wobbled up onto his feet, raised his hand and yelled:

"Chaos Spear!"

Sparks of energy escaped from his hand, speeding their way to the tree stump. Upon impact, whatever was left of the stump was reduced to ash. Sonic grinned and looked to his hand in shock. He couldn't believe he just did that!

Arms encircled his shoulders from behind as he was pulled into his Uncles chest. Zale was practically purring as he hugged Sonic. "I'm so proud of you, you did perfectly." Zale congratulated his nephew. Sonic spun in his hold and hugged him back, shoving his face into his chest fur. A hand softly caressed through Sonic's quills that slowly puffed down into soft ones. "You don't know how much I missed you and the kids. How much I missed Aleena and Charles. I'm so sorry that I missed so much time with you guys." Zale sadly spoke. Sonic only hugged him tighter in response.