Chapter 20

Ivypool's POV
She stayed asleep longer than she probably should have, due to extra training in the Dark Forest. Tigerstar made sure they were all ready for his 'big plans' that he would tell them later on. It most likely had something to do with taking over the clans and whatnot, and how if they didn't help him they'd be killed. Her thoughts on his plans ended when Brambleclaw prodded her awake, obviously annoyed. "You missed the dawn patrol." He snorted. She rolled her eyes, making sure he didn't notice, and stood with a yawn. "Alright alright, what patrol is next?" She asked, disinterested. "Purdy is expecting more moss." Brambleclaw said with the smallest hint of a smirk. "But that's a job for apprentices!" She exclaimed, frowning. "If you're going to sleep like an apprentice, you'll do a job like an apprentice." He said gruffly and trotted out of the warriors den. Ivypool growled silently and stalked out behind him, going toward the entrance.

Dovewing's POV
Dovewing noticed her sister groggily, and angrily, going out of camp. She wanted to go find out why, but was interrupted by Bumblestripe, who stopped her. "Hey Dovewing!" He said cheerfully. "Hello Bumbestripe." She greeted back, returning a smile. "How are you?" He asked, and she nodded. "I'm doing well, how about you?" He nodded as well. "Not too bad myself." After that it was a couple awkward moments of silence. "So what do-" Dovewing was stopped by a bloodied and thin cat. She tilted her head, confused, until she smelled the familiar scent of WindClan. Brambleclaw padded up to the stranger while Squirrelflight bounded up to Firestar's den. "Please... Help needed..." The cat gasped. "What's happening?" Brambleclaw asked. He seemed to be confident and sure of himself, but you could detect worry in his voice. "B-badgers. They're everywhere." The car managed to spit out after calming down. "How many are there?" Firestar asked, strolling over to the cat and Brambleclaw. "I didn't count but when I left it seemed about 5... Please hurry!" The cat replied worriedly. "Alright. Brambleclaw, make a group of cats to go but keep some here in case badgers attack us. I'll be at the entrance to lead the group next to the WindClan cat." Firestar ordered and hurried to the entrance, the cat following. Dovewing had her ears flattened and was standing stiffly next to Bumbestripe. How are we supposed to fight off 5 badgers? She looked around for Ivypool, but didn't see her. "Daisy, Sandstorm, Cloudtail, Briarlight and Dustpelt stay at camp." Brambleclaw announced. "The rest of you, come fight." The assigned cats went to their places but Dovewing hurried over to Brambleclaw. "May I go out to find Ivypool? I don't know where she went." She asked worriedly. Ivypool could have been attacked by badgers for all we know. She thought.

Ivypool's POV
Grumbling, she clawed more moss off the roots of yet another tree. why can't Purdy get his own moss? He told us he used to fight off like 5 foxes at a time before, so what's so bad about collecting moss for himself? She wondered grouchily. Gathering her second bundle, she heard running pawsteps coming toward her and spun around to see Dovewing stumbling to a stop. "Ivypool!" She said, out of breath. "Ditch the moss, WindClan is being attacked by badgers and we need you to fight." She explained quickly. "The clan is leaving now, so we have to hurry up and catch them." Ivypool nodded and took off after her sister, swiftly dodging trees and bramble vines. They saw the group of ThunderClan cats ahead and sped up, getting in the back. The clan ran over the border, being led by the WindClan cat and Firestar. By the time they neared the camp everyone could hear yowls of pain, fury and agony. It was truly horrifying when they poured into the camp. Blood was smeared of every den and cats' bodies lined the camp, while five huge, lumbering creatures tore through what used to be the WindClan camp. There were very few cats still fighting. Ivypool counted about 6 cats trying not to be killed like the rest of them. Ivypool shook her head before barreling toward a badger, latching on with her claws. Brambleclaw, Lionblaze and Birchfall joined her, all attacking from different sides. Firestar, Spiderleg, Bumblestripe, Millie and Cinderheart raced off toward a WindClan cat attacking alone and the rest attacked other badgers.

Dovewing's POV
Dovewing stared at all the fighting and shook her head softly. If we don't run we'll all be killed. She thought with an inward sigh and ran toward the nearest badger, swiping at its paw. She growled and bit down on it, getting knocked away but she scrambled back to her paws. Blossomfall joined her and together they attacked the badger, Berrynose helping from the other side. A bloodcurdling screech made Dovewing jump and stop, staring toward where it came from. There, laying on the ground before the bloody paws of a badger was Birchfall's body. Horrified, Dovewing stumbled on her paws. "No... Not him..." She murmured. We need to retreat. She carefully skidded forward, gripping Birchfall's scruff and dragging him backward, out of the mess. Once he was far enough she raced back inside the camp, searching desperately for Firestar. She found the leader batting the head of a badger and dodging being snapped at. "Firestar!" She yowled, running toward him and stumbling a bit. "We need to retreat, we can't win this!" Firestar stared at her for a moment before sighing. "You're right. ThunderClan, retreat! As well as the rest of the WindClan cats!" He yowled, causing cats to race to the entrance of camp and flee the gruesome battle. On her way out, Dovewing didn't forget to grab her father and drag him along with the clan. They reached a dip in the moor, hidden by all of the high grasses around. To their surprise, there were at least five WindClan cats hiding from the battle. "What were some of your warriors doing fighting while you hid back here?" Brambleclaw challenged, stepping up to Onestar, who dipped his head calmly. "They wanted to stay and fight." He croaked, obviously exhausted. "That's beside the point." Firestar meowed, stepping in. "You all need a place to stay. Would you like to stay at our camp for a while?" Onestar blinked, seeming to think before he sighed and nodded. "Thank you, Firestar. You are kind as always and we are grateful for that." He dipped his head respectfully. Firestar nodded and turned toward his warriors, lifting his head to survey them. "We will have a ceremony for all those that have died. Onestar, do you have any bodies of your dead clanmates?" He asked. Meanwhile, Dovewing had stumbled over to Ivypool with a horrified expression. "D-dad is..." She couldn't finish, and looked at the ground.

Ivypool's POV
What? Dad is what? "No... He's not..." Ivypool frowned as reality hit her like a claw. "No!" She felt her legs grow weak but she forced herself to stay standing. Dovewing nodded sorrowfully and touched muzzles, whimpering softly. StarClan, why him? He's done nothing wrong...

Along the way back to ThunderClan camp...
Brambleclaw, Mousewhisker, Blossomfall, Onestar and a few WindClan Warriors were carrying their dead cats while Dovewing and Ivypool were switching between them who carried Birchfall. As they reached camp, the cats who stayed behind rushed forward to meet them. "Any trouble?" Firestar asked them. "No signs of anything." Sandstorm replied. Jayfeather and Leafpool got to work on the worst cats while the others waited.

A/N:
Hey! I'm sorry I haven't been updating, my summer has been really busy! I'll try to update more on this book for you guys, thanks for reading!