Chapter 8

Spencer's pov:
"Now I can finally do this" Toby says. Next thing I know, he's leaning in, and his lips are placed on mine. At first I'm trying to decide what to do. We both just got out of relationships, and it's been 5 years since we've been together... Screw it. I kiss him back, and deepen the kiss by wrapping my arms around his neck, while he wraps his around my waist. This feels so right. Yet, if you think about it, it's kinda wrong. I mean I found out that my boyfriend loved someone that wasn't me, and Toby just got out of an engagement. Also, I bet Toby and his fiancé broke up because of me. He never said exactly why they broke up, but he did say that they've been arguing. Maybe they had an argument about me... You know what, shut up Spencer! Just enjoy the moment. Since we're in public, the kiss doesn't last too long... As we pull back, we stare into each other's eyes. I smile and the next thing I know, he's smiling too. How have I survived 5 years without him?

"I was... Not expecting that" I say with a smile and a slight giggle

"Me neither..." He replies. We are so close to each other. That is, until Toby decides to pull away from me. A serious-ish look has replaced the smile that was on his face a few seconds ago. He looks down, and it sort of seems like he's embarrassed... "Sorry if I did that too soon. I know we both just got out of relationships, but I just couldn't help myself..."

"Don't be sorry." I say as I lift his head up, and run my finger through the dimple on his chin. "I just have one question... How come you didn't kiss me back last night, but you decided to kiss me today?"

"Last night you were drunk, and I didn't want you to do anything that you were gonna regret... Also, if I kissed you back, that would've counted as taking advantage of you, and I would never want to do that." I smile at his thoughtfulness. Toby's so sweet. I bet most guys wouldn't have cared about how I would feel the next day. But Toby did. That's what I like about Toby. He's different... Different is good. I like different.

"If I wasn't drunk, would you have kissed me back?" I know this is a stupid question to ask, considering that we just kissed like 3 minutes ago, but we were both in relationships when I kissed him. Well, at least I think we both were. He never told me exactly when he broke up with Yvonne, but I assume that it was after I kissed him.

His eyes shift from mine to the floor, and a goofy smile appears on his face. "Probably" he responds. He looks back at me, and my eyes are locked in his. There's just something about his eyes that pulls me in... The first thing I ever noticed about Toby was definitely his eyes. Even when I didn't know him that well, I always somehow managed to get lost in his eyes. We just stare at each other... Memorizing the patterns and lines in each other's orbs. Until Toby's phone buzzes.

Toby's pov:
After about a minute or two of hopelessly staring at Spencer's beautiful brown eyes, my phone buzzes. I pull my eyes away from the intense "staring contest" Spencer and I were having, and look at my phone. It's from Yvonne...

"Come and get your stuff -Y"

I sigh. Seriously? She had to tell me to come get my stuff right when I'm with Spencer? Ugh... I normally wouldn't go, but I'm afraid that if I don't, she'll destroy my stuff. I remember one time she burned one of my books because she said that lately I've been paying more attention to the book then I have her...

I look back up at Spencer. "Is everything ok?" She asks.

"Everything's fine." I sigh. "Yvonne just wants me to get my stuff. Last night I sort of just ran out..." I see her face fall when I mention Yvonne. I always knew that Spencer didn't like her, and to be honest, I don't blame her based on the way Yvonne treated her when they first met.

"Hi. You must be Yvonne" Spencer says as she reaches her hand out for Yvonne to shake.

"And you must be Spencer" she says in a nasty tone. Wow. I've never heard her speak to anyone like that before. That's just rude. At least Spencer's doing the respectable thing and not fighting back.

"Well Yvonne and I should be getting home... See you around Spence" I say. "See you around" she replies with a smile. I look over at Yvonne while we exit. She is obviously not pleased at the idea of me calling Spencer "Spence".

After a whole car ride of quietness, Yvonne decides to break the silence when we get home. "How come you never came up with a nick name for me?" She asks with hurt in her voice. I don't really understand what the big deal is... I mean it was just a nickname. Why are girls so overly sensitive all the time?

"Well I never really thought you wanted a nickname..." I said. "Well I do..." She said impatiently, and in the same nasty tone she did before. "Ok... How about Vonne?" I ask. She crinkles her nose up in response... That's her way of saying that she doesn't like it. "Ok. Well how about I just call you Yvonne? I can't really think of any other nicknames for you..." I say. "Fine..." She sighs. She's obviously unsatisfied, but that's her fault. I offered her a nickname and she turned it down...

"Do you really have to go?" Spencer asks sadly. I hate to just leave in the middle of whatever's going on here, but I have to. The sooner I face Yvonne and get my stuff, the sooner she's out of my life for good. "Yes... But I promise that I'll call you later" I say as I take her hands in mine and smile at her. She smiles back sadly and kisses my cheek. We say goodbye and I start to walk to the RV. I left my truck there, so I have to walk back. I mean I could call an uber, but I want some fresh air.

As I walk to the RV, I start to think about what happened with Spencer. I kissed her. And she kissed back. It was the best feeling ever. But I'm kinda confused on where we stand... Are we back together? I mean, she kissed my cheek before I left, so that's a good sign right? My previous thoughts come to an end when I approach the RV, and are replaced by new ones. Such as: What's gonna happen? Is she gonna start yelling at me? What's she gonna do? Is my stuff even gonna be intact?

I knock on the door and Yvonne answered it almost immediately. "Toby. Hi. This is a surprise" she says with a smile.

"It is? Because last time I checked, you sent me a text telling me to come and get my stuff..." I reply.

"Oh, right." She gestures for me to come in and sit down, so I do. "Toby, I think we should talk about last night..." She says.

"There's nothing to talk about." I say

"Yes there is. Why did you break up with me?"

"Because you don't trust me. Not only that, but we were always arguing and I just got tired of it. Not to mention, you wouldn't even really let me contribute into the wedding planning.

"Toby, I'm sorry. Please give me a second chance. I promise I'll trust you more. I've always trusted you, it was just the other girls that I didn't trust. And also, I'm sorry about the wedding planning. I just wanted everything to be perfect." She replies.

"No, Yvonne. That's not an excuse. You didn't want it perfect, you wanted it your way. Marriage is about compromise. And if your not going to be able to compromise on small things, like what the flavor of the wedding cake will be, then I don't think you'll be able to compromise on the things that actually matter."

"Toby, please"

"No.  Goodbye Yvonne." I say. I start to grab my stuff, and I get out of there as soon as possible.