Chapter 7

Sam and I were sitting in the living room talking when we heard the front door shut. Both of us turned around to see Anna standing in the door smiling at us warmly.

»Hey girls.« She said as she made her way over to the couch and gave us a hug. »How was school?« I could tell Sam was about to tell her what happened so I elbowed her in the ribs causing her to frown at me with a confused look.

»Good.« I answered for us giving Sam a warning look. Anna looked back and forth between the two of us and propped herself up on the back of the couch. »Oh there’s Mac and Cheese in the kitchen.«

»Oooh!« She squealed and took off towards the kitchen. I burst out laughing with Sam joining in. Our heads rested on each other’s shoulders as we were trying to calm ourselves down.

»When we were kids she was just the same. She’d jump off a cliff for Mac and Cheese.« She said standing up. »Want to go out?«

»Where to?«

»What about the park?« I nodded and stood up as well. As I made my way to the front door Sam shouted to Anna we’d be going out and followed me. We hopped into my car and took off. Rivertown Park was a beautiful little Park fifteen minutes away. It wasn’t large. But still great. There was a playground for the children, a labyrinth for adventurous people and a flower garden for walks. Also there was a lake. Nothing huge. The atmosphere there was quite relaxing. It was calm and there weren’t many people so it was a good place to escape into your own little world and think about stuff. If you wanted it, the park could be pretty romantic, too. Especially the garden. There were lights hanging down from the trees that were shining every night and some kind of clearing where you could sit down on the grass and enjoy the view. If you were there during sunset, it was even more beautiful than during daytime. The garden was like one out of those fairytales. Magical, mysterious, peaceful. Colors were everywhere, nothing looked boring. The Rivertown Park was simply a place of inspiration.

When we arrived at Rivertown, I parked my car. We got out, I locked it and we started walking. The ground was still wet from the rain a few hours ago and the gravel crunched under my feet. Both of us were silent as we walked through the garden. I looked around smiling slightly at the memories that came flooding to my mind. I thought about all the times I’ve been here with my mother and grandparents or how Mary and I used to spend almost our entire pastime here. We usually sat in the little clearing talking about god and the world until it started to get dark. The memories made my smile widen and I stopped on the bridge leaning against the wooden rail. I looked down at the river seeing my reflection. Though I was the same girl, I didn’t recognize myself. After closing my eyes and opening them again I saw Sam standing next to me. She also looked at the river smiling. Why? I had no clue. But her smile was definitely the most beautiful thing on earth. The way her whole face lit up when she smiled was indescribable. Her eyes were glowing, little folds were forming at the corner of them and her nose slightly scrunched up. It made her look so cute. Like… I don’t know… It was just something I’d love to see every day. And it was definitely something I desperately wanted to be the reason for.

»What are you thinking about?« She asked quietly scooting closer to me.

»Too much.« Was my answer. It wasn’t even a lie. I was thinking about my mum, my grandparents, Mary, her. I was thinking about way too much stuff.

»Tell me.«

»I’m thinking about my family and an old friend of mine…«

»Mary?« I turned to her in surprise and she only gave me a small smile. »You’ve said her name when you were asleep yesterday.«

»Oh…«

»What happened?«

»I don’t really want to talk about it, okay? I’ll tell you when I’m ready.« She simply nodded placing her arm on my back. »For now you only need to know that I’m okay. You want to know why?« She nodded once again causing me to grin. »Because I finally feel happy again. Thanks to you I laughed the first time for years. I mean really laughed. Without any negative thoughts behind it.«

»It’s a pleasure to make you happy.« She chuckled and gave me a tight hug. »What you want to do now?« Sam asked with her head resting on my shoulder.

»Let’s talk about you and your life. You know so much about me and the only thing I know about you is your name.«

»Alright. So what do you want to know?« And with that we started to get to know each other better. Sam told me about her whole life. Even about her abusive parents. She told me how she always had to wear long sleeved shirts so no one would see her bruises and cuts. Even during summer vacation she had to wear pullovers or sweatshirts. She was only allowed to go to school. After that she had to go home straight and cook, clean the house or wash the clothes. She had barely any time to do her homework or study for tests. That was until Anna finally had the courage to stand up for the both of them. They moved out and started to fight side by side against the world. They tried to get together enough money to survive and pay the rent. After quite a while they had it under control and were even able to afford extra stuff like a TV. Then Anna met my dad. And you know the rest. By now it was already seven and we came here around five. So we were standing here for two hours only talking and telling each other stories. It was amazing how I could connect with her although I didn’t know her for long. She seemed so different when I first met her. Like she was the complete opposite of me. But actually we were quite alike. We liked the same things, at least most of them and she was one of the few persons who could make me laugh. Some of her stories were just hilarious. For example the one where she almost broke Anna’s nose. The both of them had a huge fight and Anna was so angry at her that she actually threatened her she’d dip Sams head into the toilet. And because she was sure Anna would actually do that she started to run away. Anna followed her and they ran through their whole flat until Sam finally reached her room. As soon as she stepped in it she smashed the door closed so she could lock it. Well… Unfortunately Anna was right behind her and to her luck she was able to stretch out her arms in front of her so she only fell flat onto her butt. If she’d stretched out her arms one second later the door would have hit her right in her face. Okay. The story on its own wasn’t that funny but with the way Sam moved while telling me, her expressions and everything it was like a short movie.

We went back home around eight since we didn’t want to have an argument with my dad or Anna because we were out too long. And except for that we had school the next day so staying up late probably wasn’t the best idea. When we arrived at home, Sam went into the living room because she wanted to watch a movie with Anna and I went straight to bed. Exhausted was an understatement for my state. While I was with her I didn’t notice how tired I actually was. But now, when I fell onto my bed, my eyes grew heavy. It didn’t take long until my eyes closed and I fell asleep with a smile on my lips.