Chapter 10

So… After all those weeks of keeping everything to me I finally told her. I, Colby Johnson, told her, Sam Miller, that I liked her. The moments after spitting everything out were hell. It was like slow motion. No. It was even worse. It was like the time was frozen. My heart hurt, my brain was working faster than ever before and I held my breath. My eyes were closed fiercely since I didn’t want to see the expression of hatred and disgust I expected. I was afraid. Afraid of the way she’d react. Afraid of losing her as my friend. I didn’t want her to run out of my life. She was the only person that knew everything about me. Well… Almost everything. She knew about the way I felt every time someone harassed me but she didn’t knew about the cutting though. And I was sure as hell not going to tell her anytime soon. A heavy silence filled the room making my ears ring. So I opened my eyes to see her crouched in front of me with a blank expression and a frown on her pretty face.

»Sam, I’m so, so sorry! I never meant for this to happen, I swear! And I’ll accept it if you hate me now and don’t want to talk to me ever again! God! I would, too, if I was you! But please don’t tell anyone and please, please, please don’t hurt me! I-« My rambling was cut short by her and my eyes went wide. That was probably the nicest way to tell me to shut up. Soon I closed my eyes welcoming the warm feeling inside of me and wrapping my arms around Sam’s waist. As our lips moved in sync I smiled. Right now I was most likely the happiest person on earth. Sam’s hands wandered from my cheeks to my neck before she slung her arms around it, bringing our bodies impossibly closer. But you want to know what the best thing was? She smiled, too. Just like me she smiled into the kiss and let herself loose. I slowly pulled away, my chest was heaving up and down heavily and my eyes remained close as I leant my head against the cold wall. »That was…« I started but trailed off.

»I know.« Sam agreed breathless. I opened my eyes to meet the chocolate brown ones I’ve been dying for to look at me with the exact look right now. Her eyes were filled with happiness and want. A small smile played at her lips as she gently pressed her forehead against mine. »I could never hate you, Colbs.« She whispered. I bit my bottom lip, trying to stop a huge grin from creeping onto my face as I slowly nodded my head up and down. That was definitely not what I expected to happen. Apparently Sam liked me back. Why else would she kiss me? To prove if my thoughts were right, I gently brushed my lips against hers. It didn’t even take her a second to kiss me back. My stomach was filled with butterflies. No. Forget butterflies. My stomach was probably like a freaking airport. My head was empty and my heart flattering in delight as Sam pressed further into me. By now my legs were on either side of her as she was on her knees in front of me. She broke the kiss reluctantly, giving me a few more pecks before pulling away. »So…« She started with a little frown on her face. »Does that mean that we’re…«

»If you want…«

»Yeah…« Her head was shaking up and down as pulled me into a tight hug. »We should probably go back to the others.« She murmured against my shoulder before she pulled away.

»Alright. But promise me something?« Sam looked at me confused so I took her hand into mine and linked our fingers together smiling brightly at the feeling of it. »Gosh… This feels so right…« I mumbled. As I looked up I saw her blush and she shyly looked down at our joined hands. »Promise me you won’t do anything with Ben. I wouldn’t be able to stand it…« Her head shot up and she scowled at me.

»Colby, why in the world should I do that to you?!«

»It’s not like you haven’t done it a few minutes ago…«

»Hey, listen.« Sam said and lifted my head up so our eyes locked. »The only reason I was kissing him was to forget you. I didn’t think you’d feel the same way about me, okay?« I nodded my head. »Good. Now let’s go.« We stood up and walked back to the others. As we took our seats and both, Ben and Mandy, smiled at us. I actually felt bad because of what we just did. Not because I didn’t like it but because we kind of were leading the both of them on. All those thoughts were rushing through my head until I felt something next to my hand. I looked down only to see Sam’s pinkie linked with mine. I smiled at her and calmed down a bit. All throughout the rest of the movie Sam’s and my pinkies were linked. As we were driving home she was sitting next to Ben in the front of the car while Mandy sat next to me. She had a huge smile plastered onto her face and stared at me with her hazel eyes. I so would fall for her if my heart wouldn’t belong to Sam. Ben stopped in front of our house and turned towards her grinning before he kissed her. Though it made me mad, it didn’t hurt that much this time. It didn’t hurt so bad because I knew she was mine. Apparently Mandy thought our date was so great she should kiss me, too. Before I could react her lips crashed to mine and she pushed me against the door. A deep frown formed on my forehead as I pushed her away. Probably not that gently. Although the kiss didn’t last long I couldn’t help but compare it to Sam’s. It wasn’t as gentle and lovely as hers. The feelings weren’t there. No butterflies in my stomach, no joy, no magic. It didn’t feel like there were sparks. It was simply nothing but a kiss that was forced on me.