Chapter 20

Right now I was sitting in AP History. I actually didn’t even know how I ended up in that class since I suck at it. But I still got the grades. Weird, huh? Our teacher, Mrs. Fonton, was writing something on the board while talking about some guy who was, so she said, important for our history. Actually I didn’t pay any attention to what she was saying. Instead I was scribbling in my notebook trying not to look at Sam. My eyes desperately wanted to stare at her but I couldn’t do it. It would only hurt more than it already did. So I started to scribble things on the paper in front of me. Though the only thing I was scribbling was “Sam” in a broken heart or stuff like “I miss you”. I didn’t know a break up could be that hard. After two days I’ve already been missing her so much I really thought it wasn’t natural anymore. Without her I didn’t feel complete. I felt a light tap on my left shoulder causing me to turn my head in her direction. She quickly looked to the front and when she saw neither the teacher nor anyone else was looking, she held up her notebook. It was pretty hard for me to read because her handwriting was a disaster but after two minutes I figured out what she wrote. And it kind of made me want to jump up and wrap my arms around her and just hug her. The paper said “In true love the smallest distance is too great, and the greatest distance can be bridged”. Yes. It was just some sentence. For others probably a stupid quote. But they didn’t know the meaning behind it. Once, when I was searching through the internet for some songs, I found a site with cute quotes. After a while Sam sat next to me and we read through all those quotes. Then one special sentence caught my attention. It was one by Hans Nouwens. It was exactly the one she wrote down on that paper. We said how true that quote was and promised each other to never let anyone or anything separate us. And I was really touched that she actually remembered it. I felt a smile tugging at the corners of my lips and my eyes watering so I turned back to the front trying to pay attention to the lesson. Though I missed her with everything I had, I couldn’t forgive her. Not now. It was way too soon. She actually didn’t deserve it. Maybe a few weeks later. But right now she didn’t. The hurt, the abomination. It was all too fresh for me. Again she tapped my shoulder. But when I didn’t react to it she tapped it until I finally turned to her. Once again she looked to the front before holding up the notebook again. “If every thought I spent on you every day was one mile long, I could take us to the moon and back.” Aw… That was cute… I felt my gaze soften as I looked at her. She stared at me with pleading eyes while turning to another page. “I’d take us anywhere you want. Even back in time. Forgive me, Colby.” My heart ached even more than before. And again she turned the page. “Give me another chance and be my Not-Valentines-Day-Valentine. No matter if it’s just for today or for the rest of our lives.” I felt a tear rolling down my cheek as I covered my mouth with my hand trying not to start screaming like a fan-girl. As much as I wanted to say yes and to jump her bones, I didn’t. I shook my head and turned away from her. I heard her sigh frustrated and when I looked at her she had her cell phone out and was texting someone with a disappointed look. Something inside of me was stopping me from just going back to her. I didn’t know what it was but it didn’t want me to forgive her. How much I hated that something… It kept me from the one person I truly loved… I hate you! You hear me?! Whatever you are, I hate you! I thought frustrated. Thinking about what was keeping me from getting back with Sam I stared out of the window until I heard the teacher call my name.

»You see something interesting out there, Miss Johnson?« She asked me sarcastically causing the class to snicker.

»Uhm… No… Sorry… I just-« I was cut off by a loud bang. The whole class grew silent thinking about what that sound was. Just as the murmuring began there was another bang. This time it was loud and clear and no one was doubting what it was. A gun shot. Loud gasps and screams of horror were going through the class while our teacher seemed pretty stressed out.