Chapter 8 ~ The Drama Queen

(A/N: Lexi in the pic)

Ryder's POV*****

Ugh. Mondays's can go to hell. For all of fucking eternity. 

I groan while sitting up in a stretch. I rub the sleep out of my eyes and tumble out of my bed and to my bathroom. I just stand there doing my business while starting to daydream about my weekend.

It was probably the most fun I've had in a long while. I felt different when I was around Mya then when I was dating Lexi. I felt like I could actually be myself like I am with the guys and not have to put up this constant façade that I'm some charming "golden boy". I roll my eyes to myself, then get ready for school. After I'm finished, I decide to text Mya and ask if she needs a ride. I really hate that she always has to walk even if it's not that far.

Me- Hey u want a ride to school today?

After a minute or two she responds.

My :) - Hey! And I don't mind walking if it's too much 

I laugh to myself. She's seriously too caring and generous for her own good.

Me- Haha nope it's no problem at all. I mean we literally live five ft away from each other. Plus it would be my thanks to you

My :) - Thanks? For what? I don't recall doing anything special...

Me- A thanks for the past weekend. I had a lot of fun, and last I recall, you are very special.

My :)- okay, yeah sure, thank you

I can just imagine her blushing right now. 

I walk over to her house and she is already outside sitting on her front porch.

"Hey, so we have to swing by the guys' houses and pick them up too," I say to Mya once she notices I'm standing there.

She gets up and dusts herself off, "Okay cool, thanks again for the ride,"  I wave it off saying it was nothing, then open her car door. Once she's in, I walk over to the driver's seat and pull out of the driveway.

Once we arrive all three of the guys get in the back row and greet me then turn to Mya. 

"Hey Mya," Ashton nods in her direction. She nods back in acknowledgment. 

"What's up," Kyle asks.

"Sleep deprived," she sighs.

"Hey there pretty lady," Jake says to Mya in a 'Johnny Bravo' accent, then winks, causing Mya to blush and giggle.

Seeing Jake flirt with Mya made my body tense and a wave of jealousy runs through me. I mean I know he thinks she's pretty and all, but who wouldn't? Of course she is! But for some reason I want her to myself. Even if she doesn't know it yet. Okay, yes, that seems a little possessive but I really think I like this girl. And besides, Jake's a total player so she can't trust her heart with him, even if he is one of my best friends. I'm still going to look out for Mya. She seems like she's been through enough heartache. I just don't understand how she can be so sad yet make the people around her so pleased.

Five minutes later I pulled into the senior parking lot. The guys get out and Jake opens Mya's door to help her out. 

I wanted to do that. I fume.

I walk around to them. Then she looks up at me and smiles her beautiful smile that instantly calms me down. I smiled back and slung an arm across her shoulder. She seemed complacent with the gesture. That made me smile even harder. How can one girl make me so happy?

All happiness quickly vanished as I saw Lexi coming up to us with a scowl on her face once we were at Mya's locker. She walks right to me and jabs her manicured fingernail into my chest. I look at her confused. Then at Mya who shares an equally baffled expression.

"Look Ryder. I don't know who you think you are but you can NOT just dump me and shove a new girl in my face like I'm nothing," she shakes her head in disgust at Mya and I look at her with wide eyes. Mya just stares back in shock. 

I then hold up my hand to stop her, "This is the last time we will have this conversation. I want nothing to do with you. If you want to keep tormenting me, then so be it. But I won't let you disrespect her," I spit at her through gritted teeth.

"Whatever Ryder, this is seriously the last time I'm going to give you another chance, so you better choose wisely," Lexi sneers.

Did she not hear a single word I just said?

The last I remember was that SHE was the one who decided to cheat on me. 

I look back to see Mya has already walked away. I want to run over and reassure her about my status with Lexi but I see that Carly has intercepted her on the way to the bathroom.

I decide to wait by her locker. She comes out shortly and I ask, "Are you okay?" 

She nods, but I know better than to believe that. 

"What can I do to make you feel better?" I beg.

"Lexi clearly feels threatened and I don't want to be bothered with the drama you two obviously need to work out," Mya explains. 

All of a sudden she pulls me into a tight embrace. I slowly rub her back and we are pulled out of the hug by the first bell. 

She looks up at me and says, "We should get to class before we're late."

I nod and we walk to our first period.

--------------------------

Mya's POV*****

After this morning, I have been zoned out of all of my classes. No matter how much Ryder attempted to pull me out of my thoughts, it simply didn't work. I mean I can understand why Lexi feels so territorial over Ryder, but I refuse to be caught in the crossfire. That mess is none of my business.

This is so frustrating.

I just have to avoid her and if she decides to come up to me again, I won't give her the time of day.

I walk into the lunch room angrily and plop down on my seat. I huff out a breath and sit there scowling. Everyone turns to look at me cautiously. Everyone being Ryder, Kyle, and Jake. Carly and Ashton are staying back to take a test. At least that's what they told us...

"...Uh... Hey there Richards? You alright?" Ryder asks me. I just look at him and nod, then stare blankly back off into space again. He rubs my shoulder and I ease a bit. 

I smile at him and he smiles back. Ryder then walks into the lunch line to get us some fries. Kyle and Jake smile at me, but their smiles soon begin to falter as they look at something behind me. I quickly peek behind my shoulder to see Lexi and Ryder discussing a seemingly heated topic. 

I stare at the table contemplating my "relationship" - if I can even call it that - with Ryder.

I only have a year left before college. Is this drama worth it?

Jake brings me back to reality as he says, "Mya, I don't know if Ryder has told you yet but our first game is next Friday. We will most likely be going to an after-party if you wanna join? Selfishly, I'd really like you to be there." 

Jake has always been very sweet to me. Ever since my first day, he has made me feel nothing less than welcome. I don't spend a lot of time with him, but maybe I'll start...

"Sure," I say, "I'll think about it and let you know. Thanks, Jake." I smile softly.

Ryder returns to the table with our french fries and a handful of ketchup packets. He flashes me a grin and it makes me perk up.

I feel like I am losing my mind. I think I need to figure out my own feelings and then ask Ryder where we stand because this is all too emotionally exhausting.

Ryder pats my back and we share the fries he bought.

This day has just been dandy.