Chapter 3

Chapter 3 (Holly's POV)

         I woke up in the middle of the night to the sound of a siren going off. Uh-oh. I scrambled to get out of bed as quickly as I could, but I was tangled in the sheets. I fell, almost on my face. I groaned as it got louder. Dad was probably in the same position as me. I ripped the sheets off me and got up, trying to keep my eyes open. I was so tired. 

      I ran down the hallway, running into the wall at least three times. I made it to the stairs, but fell halfway down them, hurting my knees and arm. I hissed and stood up, rubbing my eyes until the sleep was out of them. I barreled into Daddy's office. "Daddy?" I asked. "What's wrong?" He already had his reading glasses out and was watching as a paper printed out of his massive computer. 

      "What does it say?" I asked, as he read over it quietly. When he was done, his eyes were wide and he looked haunted. "Dad?" I asked. "Is everything okay?" He stood up quickly. "Where's your mother?" he asked. My eyes widened a bit. "I don't know," I said. "Wasn't she sleeping in your room?"

        "No." Both Dad and I turned to the door. Mom stood there, looking a little worn. "What is it, honey?" Mom asked. Dad sighed, shoving the paper at her without looking at it. After reading it, Mom's eyes were as round as bouncy balls. "Oh, my," she gasped. "What?" I couldn't take it. "What?" I asked. "What's happened?" 

     Dad turned to me with a grim smile. "Well, sweetie," he started. Mom caught his arm and twisted it. He yelped. "What was that all about?" he asked angrily. They whispered for a couple minutes. I tried to listen, but I couldn't hear them. I huffed. "What is the matter?" I asked.

    Mom looked at me and smiled sadly. "You're going to Maine, sweets," she said. My eyes bugged. Does this have to do with Jett? "What?" I asked. "Why?" Mom looked at Dad and he nodded. "You're going to help Jett," Dad explained. I stared at him. "No, really," I said, laughing through my nose. "Why am I going to Maine?" Mom looked at Dad. "It's true, sweets," she said. "You're going to Maine."

   I groaned. "But why do I have to help Jett?" I asked. "He probably hates me." Mom laughed. "We aren't going to tell you," she said. "Get into the Christmas spirit, sweets! Get to know him and he'll tell you eventually. He's having a hard time right now and doesn't even want to think about Christmas. Just help him through this hard time he's having. Please." She looked at me pleadingly.

   I sighed. "Oh, okay," I said, defeated. "But what if he tries to hit me with a bat again?" Mom looked at Dad. "He won't," Dad reassured me. "Just give him time to warm up to you. You're a nice girl." I snorted. "Thanks, Daddy," I said. "Can I go back to bed- wait." I scratched the back of my head. "Where am I going to stay?" I asked. "Wouldn't it be a hassle to come and go every day?" 

   Mom put her hand on Dad's arm. "You're going to stay with my sister," she said. "She lives around there." I nodded, yawning. "Can I go to be now?" I asked. Mom nodded, bemused. I rolled my eyes and trudged up the steps.

~.~

    I stared up at the two story cream house. The front door opened and a middle-aged woman came out, smiling widely. "Holly!" she said happily. "It's been a very long time since I've seen you! You've grown so much!" I stared at her. Dark brown hair and blue eyes. I glanced at myself. Dark blue jeans and a purple hoodie. "Hi, Aunt Connie," I saw, shifting awkwardly by the front door. 

    She pulled me into a hug and I sighed. I put my arms around her. "Gosh, you're hot!" she said. "Are you coming down with something?" I smirked inwardly. Of course she would say something like that. "Um, no," I said. "I'm just sweating in this hoodie. It's thick." She nodded, looking at me apologetically. 

   "Come inside and take that off, honey," she said. I stepped in her house and instantly smelled flowers. Must be Febreeze or something. I slipped my hoodie over my head and saw a man, about the same age as Aunt Connie walk into the room. I haven't seen Aunt Connie since I was three, so I don't really know that much about her.

   "Well, hello," the man said. "Who's this?" I shrank against Aunt Connie as she pushed me forward. "This is our niece, Holly," she said. "Holly, this is my husband, Mason." I stuck my hand out and noticed it was shaking slightly. Get a grip, Holly! 

   He took my hand and shook it lightly. "Hello, Holly," he said. "I guess we're related." I smiled. He's funny! "Yeah, you're stuck with me for a while," I said, rolling my eyes. He smiled. "I like you, Holly," he said. "I think we're going to get together great." I smiled. "Me, too," I said.

~.~

    I stared at Franklin Township High School. Yes, I'm not getting home schooled any more. I'm actually going to High School. I sighed. I started up the long walk to the school. Someone bumped into me from behind and I dropped all the books the principal just gave me. Laughter was following me wherever I went. 

    I got on my knees and started gathering them up. A new set of hands came in my vision and I looked up. I met a pair of baby blues. After picking all my books up, the girl held her hand out for me to shake. I gave her a hearty shake and she smiled. She was a bit of a nerd, glasses and braces, but she helped me. I don't mind.

   "Hi!" I said cheerily. "I'm Holly!" She smiled wider. "I'm Hanna." We walked down the hallway together, getting to my locker. I discovered Hanna's locker was three away from mine. I stuffed all the books I didn't need in my locker and turned around, only to see Hanna getting harassed by what I could only think of as the jocks.

   "Hey!" I shouted. "Stop that!" The crowd turned to see where my voice was coming from. The leader stepped up and stood nose to nose with me. "Who are you, little girl?" he asked. I stood up taller. "Holly," I said. "My name's Holly." He pushed on my shoulder. "Well, Holly," he sneered. "We run this place, so don't get hurt, okay?" I glared hatefully at him. Who the hell does he think he is?

   I huffed and turned to look at Hanna, but standing in her place was someone vaguely familiar. Dark brown hair, looking like it was tossed in the wind, and beautiful hazel eyes, I instantly knew who it was. Jett.

   He stared at me for a minute, before whispering something. I took a step towards him, but as soon as he saw me coming over to him, he turned and practically ran away from me. I frowned after him. If he was going to be like that, how am I going to get close to him?

~.~

new chapter. i think i love this story, don't you? haha i love Holly. she's so adorable. comment and vote please? maybe... fan? thankyou so much for reading.

xxSavannah