Flashback 3

The sun beat down on the small field as the whole village gathered to witness the union of the Comte's younger brother and his mysterious bride

"I heard she's running from the law." A gaggle of women gossiped as they approached the tree that had been decorated with flower garland. "And she's just trying to get a title."

"Well she won't get one, will she? She'd have to marry the Comte for that."

"And we all know who he's going to wed." They smiled at the young blonde who rushed past them and toward the priest who was talking with Athos and Thomas. "They're such a lovely couple." They sighed as Athos turned and smiled at her appearance at his side. "I just wish they'd hurry up."

"Ladies and Gentlemen." The priest called out to the gathered crowd. "We are almost ready." Anna mounted her awaiting horse and sped off back to the chalet where she would accompany the bride in the wagon they'd decorated.

"Helene?" Anna called out to the bride as she entered the Chateau.

"In here!" Anna followed the voice and the sound of a woman being corseted rather roughly.

"Is everything okay?" Anna asked the woman dressing Helene. "We don't want the bride damaged." Her joking words were accompanied by a sharp look to the woman.

Anna was well aware that the servants were a little disgruntled at having to serve this woman; a relative stranger, as though she were the Comtesse.

"Everything is fine, thank you." Helene smiled gratefully as the servant dressed her far gentler than before.

"Mademoiselle Anna." She turned to the waiting serving girl in the doorway. "Your dress is laid out for you."

"Thank you Jeanne." She followed the girl to her room and let the woman have their way with her as they tightened her corset and draped flowers in her lose curls.

"Beautiful Mademoiselle." Jeanne beamed as Anna glanced in the mirror. "Almost as though you were a bride yourself." Her words earned her sharp looks from the older women as the smile on Anna's face faltered slightly and she soon realised her words.

Anna recovered herself and smiled down at the girl; she was new, employed only a few months before. From what Anna had heard, the young girl was coming on leaps and bounds and had soon earned her place in the more private chambers of the Chateau.

"Thank you Jeanne. Although it is all due to your skill ladies." The maids preened at her words. "Now, let us ensure the bride is ready and we will all be off."

"All?"

"Of course! Thomas cannot wed without you all there! Most of you practically raised him." With a final look in her mirror she rushed from the room to help Helene into the back of the waiting wagon.

Anna stood beside Athos as they watched Thomas and Helene exchange vows beneath the gnarled tree that generations of Athos' family had wed under.

"He looks happy." She whispered behind the small bouquet she had picked that morning as Thomas beamed at the woman who was slowly becoming his wife.

"He is besotted." He told her. "They want to live here."

"At the Chateau?" She asked with a grin. "That will be wonderful!"

"I now pronounce you man and wife..." The priest boomed from the small hilltop. "You may kiss your bride." The crowd cheered as Thomas locked lips with his wife for the first time.

"I thought we might ride to Paris tonight." Athos mumbled to her as Thomas and Helene were engulfed by the crowd. "To give them the house to themselves for a while." She nodded to him with a small smile tugging at her lips.

"I can be packed within the hour."