Chapter 6

"Claude Allard was a traitor." The five musketeers raised their eyebrows at Jean's sweeping statements. "He was relaying information to Spain."

"How?" Anna asked as she studied the man for any clue to his identity.

"There is a man." He paused to check his surroundings before leaning in and whispering. "He collects information and then travels to Spain where he has a man on the border." The Musketeers nodded, clearly impressed by this man's knowledge.

"But how do you know this?" Anna frowned at him, not fully believing the story.

"I infiltrated the ring. They trust me."

"So you are a traitor?" Aramis said as he scratched his chin in confusion.

"Never." Jean spat. "I was commissioned by the Cardinal's office to find the spy in the Palace. I succeeded but now I am branded a traitor."

"What do you want from us?" Athos asked, disbelief etched in his features much like Anna.

"Protection." He finished his drink. "Ensure my protection from the noose and I will get you into the ring." They all turned to glance at each other.

"Deal."

"No." They shot the Captain exasperated looks as he turned down the plan. "We don't know this man; you never saw his face and it's a risky operation."

"But aside from that?" Aramis joked.

"Captain, we could be stopping a spying ring in the centre of Paris!" Anna protested.

"You could also be walking into your deaths by the man who also killed Claude Allard!"

"Is it not worth investigating?" Porthos also protested. "Who knows what they could find and relay to Spain?!"

The Captain sighed and studied each hopeful face in his office.

"Fine: Athos, Anna." He nodded to the two. "You two go to the ring, infiltrate it. Aramis, Porthos, D'Artagnan; you're following them. Stay out of sight and we might just pull this off..."

A smile burst onto Anna's face at the Captain's words.

"We won't let you down." She promised as he waved them out.

"Right then...time to catch some spies!" Aramis rubbed his hands in anticipation as they moved out of the Garrison.

"Monsieur Lebeau and his wife." Jean introduced Anna and Athos into the spy ring. "They work for the Cardinal." The room murmured approvingly at their identities and allowed them further into the headquarters of the operation.

"You have information?" A gruff voice questioned.

"The Cardinal is proposing a new treaty." Athos told him.

"And?"

"And you'll know more when the time is right." Anna sneered at the man as Athos rested a hand on the small of her back.

"Excuse my wife, she can be...feisty..." The men shared a grin before they were left alone once more.

Anna smoothed down the dress she had charmed Constance to give her for this and smiled. The light blue material reminded her of the cloak she wore as a part of her formal Musketeer uniform.

"You look lovely, stop fussing." Athos murmured as she fiddled with the clip in her hair.

"Why thank you." She smirked as they manoeuvred through the building and towards the man in charge.

"In there." Jean motioned towards a curtained off room.

They nodded and pushed aside the curtain before stepping into the dingy office.

"Who are you?" A bearded man asked. His accent was a strange combination of French and Spanish.

"Monsieur and Madam Lebeau." Athos introduced them.

"You have information on Cardinal Richelieu?" He asked as their names registered in his mind.

"Yes." Anna replied. "For a price." He chuckled.

"I like a woman with spirit." He leered as he moved from his desk to stand in front of them. "I am Hernando. Jean has spoken very highly of you and your positions in Richelieu's offices."

"He does not lie."

"Good..." He studied their faultless faces for any signs of deception. "I will offer you this." He showed them bags upon bags of coins. "In return for information."

"We want passage also." Anna told him. "Into Spain."

"Why?" Hernando asked with a frown.

"Once the Cardinal realises Spain knows his plans he will know it was us." Athos explained.

"You would rather run than face an honourable death?!"

"Never." Athos spat. "And I ask not for my safety but..." He glanced at Anna who dutifully laid a hand across her abdomen.

Before they had entered the building they knew it would take some persuading for them to be transported to the border. They had first scowled at D'Artagnan when he suggested a pregnancy but...

"You are with child?" Anna nodded at Hernando's question. "Then of course!" He chuckled! "I am no monster! I would not lead a pregnant woman to the gallows!"

"You will take us with you?" Athos asked.

"Yes."

"The Cardinal wishes to ally with Spain through the support of the Church?" Hernando queried as they travelled along the French countryside.

"It is a simple plan when you think about it." Anna mused from inside the cart.

"Simple but effective if he succeeds." Athos said. "With the backing of the Spanish churches he would win over the people and face little resistance to merge with France and has Louis as King of both countries."

Hernando nodded and Anna allowed a small smile to rest on her lips as she sat behind him in the canvas covered cart.

"Do not forget: we are healers taking supplies to the bordering villages." Hernando reminded them as Anna poked at various bandages and medicinal remedies that shared her space as Athos sat alongside Hernando.

They knew their friends were following them in the shadows of the forest beside the road on which they travelled.

"How much further?" Anna complained a she craned her neck to get a view of the sun's position.

"Sleep." Athos told her. "I will wake you when we approach Spain." She shook her head at him.

"I am not tired."

"Rest; for our child." He reminded her of their ruse and she sighed before nestling down between the bandages and let the gentle swaying of the cart lull her into a dreamless sleep.