Flashback 4

Anna and Athos had spent a month in Paris, allowing the newly-wed couple to settle into life together in the family home at Pinon. Anna and Helene had corresponded a few times during her absence and was pleased to hear that the servants were also acclimatising to her presence in the house and that she and Thomas were well.

"I am glad to be returning." Anna said whilst she stretched her sore muscles as she and Athos rode closer to their village. "Paris was wonderful, but it just isn't home."

"I'm glad we sent the carriage and luggage on ahead. Especially as it gave us time to...enjoy the sights." He grinned to himself as he recalled their night together under the stars.

They fell back into a comfortable silence as the village grew closer and Anna grinned as the villagers began to wave to their Comte.

"Who is that?" Athos squinted into the distance as hooves cantered toward them. "Monsieur?" He called out as the horse neared and its rider was revealed.

"Monsieur, please; slow down..." Anna asked the man as they all slowed their mounts to a stop near each other. "...children play in these fields." She gestured to the nearby children who had crowed together to avoid the horse.

"I apologise Monsieur, Madame." He tipped his hat to them. "I was hoping to catch the Comte before he arrived at his house. Have you had any sight of his carriage?"

"No need to race; I am the Comte de la fere." Athos introduced himself. "How may I help you?"

"I am afraid it is a very...sensitive subject." He eyed Anna suspiciously.

"Anything you have to say to me, can be said to Anna." Athos dismounted his horse and turned to help Anna down. "Perhaps you would simply prefer a quieter location." He gripped the reigns of both horses and led them to a nearby tree for shade from the sweltering heat. "Monsieur..." He gestured for the stranger to speak.

"I have been tracking a woman, I do not know her real name, for many years. She is a thief and a con-woman and is wanted in many regions. The last time I saw her, she was travelling with a man and was calling herself...Helene..." He trailed off as Athos and Anna shared a look. "I tracked them to this area and after many weeks of enquiries, I located them."

"Why were you coming away from the Chateau?" Anna asked quietly.

"The villagers pointed me in the direction of the house after a brief description of the woman. When I arrived, I knew it was her instantly, but her husband refused to let me near. A serving girl told me that the Comte would be returning soon and so I set out to intercept him, it would seem I succeeded."

"Did you tell Thomas what you know?" Athos asked shakily, feeling dread pool in his stomach.

"Of course; I presumed him to be the Comte and told him all I have told you. It was not until she entered the room that I realised my mistake..." He stopped as Anna and Athos rushed to mount their horses and with a sharp tug on the reigns they were cantering towards the house.

"THOMAS?!" Their voices mixed as they burst into the house. "THOMAS?!" The sound of floorboards creaking in the sitting room just down the corridor caught their attention and in no time they had flung open all the doors and were stood in the doorway of the rear parlour.

"Thomas?" Anna's voice cracked as her eyes took in the sight of the man she had called 'brother' as he lay splayed in the centre of the room with blood steadily pouring from a wound in his abdomen. Athos brushed past her and fell to the floor to cradle his brothers' head.

She too sunk to her knees as she attempted to quell the blood flowing from the stab wound with one hand while the other clutched his.

"Ath..." Thomas' eyes fluttered open as she pressed against the wound. "...Anna...I..."

"Shhh." Athos soothed his brother as he felt the strength in his body seep through the hole in his side.

"Love...eachoth-" His speech was cut off as blood appeared from his mouth. His grip on their hands eased as breath left his body.

The couple sat in silence as they stared at the lifeless body between them.

"Monsieur..." Jeanne appeared at the door.

"Leave." Athos mumbled.

"The men wanted me to tell you that-"

"LEAVE!" He roared and while the young girl flinched at her master's harsh words, she stood her ground.

"The men have her...they caught Helene..." Athos raised his head and he an Anna shared a tear-filled stare.

Anna gave a slow nod to Athos as rage replaced grief in their eyes. She turned to the young woman still stood in the doorway.

"Call for a priest." She whispered her voice heavy with grief. "We must bury him." Tears rolled down her cheeks as she glanced at her crimson stained hands from where she had tried to save him. "We need to put him to rest."