Flashback 12

"I need you to leave Paris." Anna raised an eyebrow at the Captain as he spoke.

"Am I in danger?"

"No. Nothing like that..." He ran a hand down his exhausted face. "There is trouble brewing in the outlying villages."

"You want me to quell any trouble." She stated.

"Yes. And to collect information."

"A spy?" She asked in disbelief. The woman had only been here mere months and he was sending her away as a spy?

"An armed informant." He corrected. "You're an excellent swordsman, you can rival Aramis with a musket and Porthos has taught you hand to hand combat; you're perfect for the role."

"When do I leave?"

"Tomorrow."

"What do you mean you're leaving?" Athos asked as she packed a bag.

"Treville wants me to ensure the outlying villages are well." She told him. "I had no choice."

"When will you be back?" The room was filled with a tense silence as she declined to respond. "Anna?"

"I don't know..." She sighed. "A while."

"Anna-"

"But I'll be close to Paris at some point...you could visit me?" She looked up at him hopefully.

"I will." He promised before pulling her to him and saying goodbye with a searing kiss.

I will be nearing the Chateau in a weeks' time. I hope to rest there before I receive my next mission. My stay will be far more enjoyable if you are able to join me.

Until next time,
Anna.

Athos read the brief note, no doubt scribbled as she travelled, and noticed it was dated almost a week ago. Placing it into his jacket he bounded up the stairs to Treville's office.

"I have received word from Anna." The Captain looked up from his desk at the sound of the only female Musketeer's name. "She awaits her next task." The Captain nodded and moved to retrieve a scrolled piece of paper from a bookcase before handing it to the Musketeer in front of him.

"I trust you will deliver it?" Athos responded with a nod before leaving the room and bidding his friends farewell as he mounted his horse and headed towards his family home.

Taking the long way through the fields and successfully avoiding the village on his estate, Athos arrived at the chateau exactly a week to the date of her letter.

He dismounted with a grin as she ran out of the door and leapt into his arms.

"I have missed you!" She cried as she inhaled his masculine scent.

"And I you." He chuckled a she set her down and the pair entered the airy house.

"I sent everyone away, told them we could fend for ourselves for the few days we will be here." She told him as he noticed the silence of the home.

"Good, now we don't have to bother with formalities." He grinned before lifting her over his shoulder and marching towards the bedchamber with her laughs filling the air.

"Calais." She read from the note Treville had given him as she laid in bed.

"That is not so far." He told her as he poured them wine.

"It is not Paris though." She sighed.

"Treville would not send you away unless it was necessary." He reminded her.

"Yes but..." She trailed off as he joined her on the bed. "...I do long for the bustling streets and the company of my fellow Musketeers."

"Am I not enough?" He smirked as she discarded the papers.

"You're more than enough." She assured him as she straddled his hips and leant in for a searing kiss.

"What is required of you in Calais?" Athos enquired as they meandered through the fields just they had done as children.

"The usual." She told him with a half-smile.

"Seduction and manipulation?" She stopped at his words.

"While I use my body in place of a musket, our battles are very much the same!"

"You mean; while I risk my life, you sleep your way through France?!" The sound of her palm connecting with his face rang through the still air.

He stood in shock as she turned on her heel and stalked back to the chateau.

"Anna!" He called through the house as he searched for the woman. "Anna." He sighed as he entered the bedchamber and saw her redressing in her uniform and attaching her sword to her waist.

She pushed past him and stormed through the house with him hot on her heels, anger steadily building inside of him.

"What are you-" He was cut off as she slammed a door in his face. "ANNA!" He roared as he burst through the door and followed her outside.

"I do not wish to waste any more of your precious time, my Lord." She sneered as she saddled her horse. "I understand that as a real Musketeer you have battlefields to visit and musket balls to fire." She hoisted herself into her saddle. "A vulgar whore such as I should not be in your company."

"Anna, I did not-"

"Go to hell." She spat before digging her heels into the animal and taking off across the fields.