Chapter 4

The next morning Anna strode into the training area and scanned for the brooding Musketeer.

Awaking with a thumping headache and an unmoving determination to get to the bottom of Athos' foul mood, Anna had sprung out of bed an started her day.

She had thrown D'Artagnan a pitying glance as he sat with his head on Constance's table, groaning through a hangover.

"Oh stop complaining." She chuckled at Constance's caring ways. "Don't drink so much and you won't regret it."

"Here." Anna passed him a small vial and sat back to watch him sober up very quickly. The woman laughed at his shocked face once he sniffed the contents of the glass vial. "Better?" She asked with a smirk as he handed the smelling salts back to her.

"Much." He said dryly.

She had laughed at him before leaving the home and heading to the grounds where she knew he would be.

Unsheathing her sword from where it hung on her waist she announced her presence in the only way she knew he would respond:

"Fight me." He scoffed and pushed past her. "It has been too long since I fought in these troubled streets; train me." He stopped and turned to face her.

"Why should I?"

"Because if I fight inappropriately, others may be wounded." She gestured to the Musketeers milling around the training grounds.

He seemed to be thinking it over in his head and she smiled inwardly: she knew that playing the 'wounded brethren' card would bring him around.

"Fine." He grumbled and mirrored her stance as he too unsheathed his weapon.

The two parried and evaded harsh blows as they moved swiftly around the small area they had claimed for their 'training'.

Anna fumbled slightly as he slammed his sword on top of hers with all of his strength.

"What is your true motivation for this?!" He panted as his hair clung to his face.

"I want to know why you're being distant!" She cried as she slid her sword from under his and went for a harsh blow which he blocked but didn't respond to her and the two continued their intricate footwork.

She saw the fire in his eyes reach a new level and was taken off guard when his final move came in a whirlwind of clashes before knocking the sword out of her hand

"You're sleeping with the Cardinal!" He said tersely.

"What?!" She picked up her weapon and twirled it in preparation for an inevitable round two as he walked away from her to catch his breath.

"You're spying and then relaying information while you're on your back for him!" He swung at her once more as he moved from his distant position but she blocked the move and brought them closer to emphasise her words:

"I am no one's WHORE!" She spat at him as the heavens erupted and rain beat down on them.

"You're not-" She cut him off with a glare.

"I would rather die." She pushed out of their locked sword embrace and began to move away from the man.

Re-sheathing her sword she growled in frustration at the man who she wrongly presumed knew her.

The sound of a sword hitting the floor of the training ground intrigued her and she turned to face her opponent.

Her eyes widened in shock as Athos was suddenly in front of her. She opened her mouth to question his actions but was stopped when his lips began an assault on hers as the rain soaked them.

A.N. I am so sorry! I totally forgot to update this and now I'm so behind! Unfortunately, I start college again tomorrow so the updates on this will likely be kept for weekends when I have the time. I hope you're enjoying so far, stick with me please! xxxx