Flashback 13

"It's time the King learnt who really controls France!" He rallied the crowd of the tavern currently packed to the brim as men and women alike hung on his every word. "It's our time! A new France is dawning, and we will rule it!" He paced the small space in the centre of the room. "We will be Kings and Queens! And we will achieve it with this." He waved his pistol in the air as the crowd erupted into cheers.

"But...what if we get caught?" A gentle voice rang out over the noise and the room quieted.

"We won't." The rebel leader smirked as he attempted to locate the source of the voice that challenged him.

"How can you be so sure?" The voice questioned again as its owner stood, their face hidden beneath the brim of their hat. "After all; you would face the full force of the Musketeers and the Red Guards." The room filled with murmurs as the figure moved to the centre of the room. "They are armies we could not face successfully."

"Every war has casualties." He spat. "Alas, it is necessary if we are to kill the King."

"I've been waiting for you to say those exact words all night." The mysterious figure sighed before removing its cloak to reveal the distinctive Fleur De Lis of the Musketeers. "Arrest them all." The figure ordered the room as it filled with gasps.

Various men throughout the room stood and mirrored their leaders' actions by removing their disguises and revealing themselves as Musketeers.

"Sorry to disrupt your impassioned speech." The figure smirked as it handcuffed the leader of the group. "But I was getting so bored." The leader spluttered in surprise and anger as the figure removed its large hat and let her long hair cascade down her back.

"You cannot do this!" The leader protested as she led him outside.

"On the contrary..." She pushed him into the waiting cart. "I most definitely can."

"Mademoiselle Beauchamp." The double doors opened as she was announced and the female Musketeer strolled into the ballroom of the palace.

"Your Majesties." She curtsied to the two royals. "Cardinal. Captain." She nodded to the men respectively.

"You were successful?" Richelieu asked her as she pointedly ignored the sight of Treville's favourite three Musketeers behind her.

"Of course Your Eminence." She smiled at him. "They were apprehended last night and are currently awaiting trial."

"Good." He nodded curtly to her as Treville smiled encouragingly.

"Thank you." Queen Anne said earnestly. "Would you join me for tea?"

"It would be my honour Your Majesty." With another curtsey to the King she happily followed the Queen from the room and to her private parlour.

"You look well." The three simple words had the desired effect as she turned to stare straight at him. Unconsciously she brushed away the non-existent dust on her skirts as his eyes wandered over her opulent dress.

"Saving the King and Queen's lives means I'm entitled to nice clothes." She replied before turning and walking away from him and further into the palace's gardens.

"Anna." He called out after her as he followed. "Anna, I want to speak with you."

"You want to speak with me?! Me, the whore of France?" Her emotionless eyes cut him deeper than her words. "Or is having tea with the Queen enough to change your opinion of me?" Athos ran a tired hand down his face as she spoke. The words he had shouted at her that day so long ago in the chateau had been unintended but he knew they had stayed with her.