Chapter Three

Warning: this is the second version of this chapter. Might be adding an entirely new one in between this and chapter four.

~​

    So, maybe deciding to drive into the middle of nowhere during a thunderstorm wasn't the smartest decision I'd ever made in my life. Even Lucas advised me against it, he said it was a bad idea and that I'm an idiot. I just laughed and thought that he was being overprotective, but evidently it was me, again. I'm angry. I needed an outlet.

           The sky grumbled and raindrops fall hard on my face. That's when I race back to the car and shove the key into the ignition.

           I had no one to listen to the thoughts that roll around aimlessly in my mind. So, I'd retreated to the only place where I felt truly safe. Lucas would have come with me if his mother hadn't insisted he be home for dinner tonight. Thinking of Lucas puts a smile on my face as I sit drenched and cold in my car- in solitude.

    Buzz. Speak of the devil.

           "Blondie, please tell me you're home safe and sound curled up by your fireplace right now," his voice is filled with concern just as the sky decides to hum like a drum.

          The car starts and I gently press on the gas pedal, you can hear the tires squealing in the mud. "I'm on my way home right now."

           "Be careful. You're staying on the phone with me," he says through the phone.

I turn on my Bluetooth and toss my phone on the seat next to me. I can barely see the multitude of trees beside me as the rain creates a white wall, I couldn't see a thing.

           "It's just connecting to Bluetooth give it a second." I turn the volume up a little and press harder on the gas pedal. It doesn't matter how heavy the rain gets, I've been here so many times that I know the bends in the road more than I know my own hand. "Lucas?"

           "Here, darling. I'm going to be at your house at eight," he says and the worry in his voice is so prominent that it is as if I can hear his brow furrowing with concern. I chuckle to myself.

           There's a bump in the road. "Lighten up. I'll be fine, it's just a little rain is all."

           "Yeah, it's all fun and games until that old busted bridge floods. You knew it was going to rain, I don't know why you went," his voice holds a hint of desperation and I can hear his footsteps heavy as he paced the length of his room.

           The bridge isn't too far ahead and yes, it's old, but it's always been sturdy enough to carry tow trucks, my little Audi would be fine.

           He stops pacing. The rain falls harder and lightning flashes, illuminating the darkened sky. "You know what, stop. Pull over. Don't move, I'm coming to get you."

           "Don't be stupid! I'm not a baby, I'm almost on the main road. I'll call you when I get home." I don't even wait to hear his protests. He's always such a paranoid guy. He is like the protective older brother that I never had and I appreciate everything he does for me, but sometimes you just have to draw a line.

           The trees are much denser in this part of the wood, and the dirt road isn't easily seen. With the rain blinding me it won't be easy to find the path leading to the bridge, but I know it's here somewhere. I press gently on the brakes. My mom is going to kill me when she sees the car covered in a thick layer of mud.

           I stop for a moment. The engine is barely audible over the sound of the rain, rain that won't be letting up any time soon. I take a look at my phone and the no service sign appears at the top of my screen and that's when I know I am most definitely screwed. I sigh. There is something telling me not to move forward, but I just shake it off.