Chapter Five

I lay in bed staring at the ceiling. I'd like to say I'm pondering life, or maybe having some great epiphany, but that is not the case. Often times I believe that one can make a difference in a world plagued by so much hardship, yet one must realize that without people to stand behind you there are no such ideals to turn to. The greek gods did not hold power on their own, they fed off of the prayers of humans. Hitler could not have imprisoned and killed so many without the power of so many. And, great wars would not have existed if it were not for people standing behind a firm belief. Together humans, and Gods, come to seek a common goal and that is the single thought from which an army brews and bellows. One mans thought does not a war win. Yes, it is true, that you need someone to be at the head of a war, at the center of the action, but these rebellious thoughts do not stem from one man, or woman, alone. They must copulate and multiply so that many can see this ideal, and so that they can be solidified in later battles.

    Again, I look to the ceiling. These are the thoughts that wrack my brain in the wee hours of morning where sleep so escapes me. After Lucas left, his mother hadn't let him stay, everything began to slowly go back to normal. I cleaned up the mess we had left in the living room and retreated to the seemingly safe confines of my room. But, as I look out my window and into the night there is something eerily strange about it. Maybe I'm just being paranoid, but maybe I'm not. And, that simple possibility enough keeps my eyes wandering aimlessly, afraid to sleep.

    The accident could have just been misfortune. Yet, it seems suspicious that I've been feeling like I'm being watched, get into an accident, am saved and healed by someone I do not know, and then a crow throws itself into my window. Something in this equation just doesn't add up. It was as if my nightmare had risen out of my subconscious and become reality. The crow, the pain- it's all too familiar.

    As my brain continues to be bombarded by thoughts and theories and other trivia's that lead me no closer to an answer, my eyes begin to feel heavy. I drift. Sleep becomes me, and it is as if I can feel it wrap its gentle arms around me. I sink deeper into my bed and my ears are only filled again with the gentle sound of falling rain.

Pitter-patter.

Pitter-patter.

Pitter-patter.

    The sound that fills my ears is not that of rain, but that of a cascading waterfall surrounded by lavender and tall grass. My naked body covered only by water as I stare into a sky that is not plagued by even one cloud, and in that moment I knew that this was not a dream where I'd be chased by ferocious creatures, but something else. I swim to the center of the large pool and only then do I notice that there are two horses grazing on the riverside. Two, and not one.

    Stretching my arms underneath the cool water I smooth my hair back as my face breaks the barrier. My skin is tanned and as I feel the features of my face I know they are not my own. There is no wind and everything in this place seems to be calm, quiet, and gentle.

    Then I hear it, a great cry that sends my body spinning around to see the image of a man jump from the top of the waterfall. Laughter bursts from my mouth, yet you'd think I would have screamed. And I don't. There's a giant splash beside me and I only move away enough to allow whatever had fallen, to rise.

    A giant of a man appears before me, his smile brilliantly radiant- like the sun itself. His muscles ripple as he moves and his eyes are so blue they seem to be carved from the stars themselves. "Come, Megara."

    My body responds to the name; a name I know not of. But, I move closer to him and let the man wrap his arms around me. His curly hair sends droplets of water down my cheek as he holds me-no Megara- closer to him. "We could run," my gentle voice is but above a whisper. He smooths my hair out of my face and shakes his head before planting a kiss on my forehead.

    "Do not fret, no army could defeat me. Upon our return, you father Creon has given us blessing to wed," the man says with the largest smile. It is almost unbecoming of such a beast of a man.

    I wiggle my way out of his touch, immediately feeling empty, and move towards the center of the pool once again. Fish graze my slender legs as I swim and the sun warms my face, and even in anger I cannot help but put on a smile. "Even great men fall, Hercules."

    "But, I am no man," he responds with a grin that held a thousand words. That is when I knew where I was. This was no figment of my imagination. This was the night before a great battle between King Creon of Thebes and the Minyans. This was mythology come to life. Yet, my thoughts retort, this is still only a dream. "I shall win back your father's kingdom, do not doubt my love."

    "Even Gods have weakness," I say as I turn my back. I can hear Hercules grumble and splash my back with the water playfully. I chuckle. "This is no laughing matter!"

    In an instant he was beside me, his hands gently caressing my skin. "Do not fear, I am my father's. I shall come back to you."

    "You do not have to go," I say turning and touching his defined cheek bone and bringing his supple lips to mine, softly kissing him. His scent is strong- like olive leaves and oak trees.

    "But I do," he says one more, pulling me closer he deepens our kiss. Our naked bodies press against each other sending sensations rippling through my body, but Hercules stiffens. "Do not move."

    I open my eyes. The image before me sends fear rippling throughout not only my own body, but the body in which I now preside. Standing on the edge of the beautiful, and peaceful, river was an animal with eyes the color of crimson and fur the color of darkness, it was as if smoke surrounds the creature. It looks at me, and it is as if it can see straight into my soul.

    That's the moment that the dream breached into reality, the moment I knew there was something here to be learnt, something that I need to know. I begin to step from Hercules' grasp and walk towards the foul creature. He screams my name, but makes no move to follow. Just as I reach the shore I'm jolted back to reality by the sound of screams. I

    I curse inwardly as I look at the clock- I'd be late for class no doubt. I haven't time to think about what I had just seen, what it actually meant. Instead, I busied myself with pulling on a sweater, jeans, and my black Vans before racing down the stairs. I heard my father and mother yelling at each other in the kitchen as they so often do. My father sees me.

    "Adaline? I thought you were gone," he says gently as worry lines streak his handsome face and he sighs heavily. "I'll be home tonight, maybe we can watch some TV, play a little ball?"

    I nod, grabbing the keys in a hurried fashion. I tried to smile at him. He's the one parent that smiles at me. And, I do believe, the only one that shows the slightest interest in my as a person. So, instead of simply racing out like I would if it had been my mother to address me, I turn and run quickly to him, place a kiss on his cheek and say, "Of course. I have soccer tryouts afterschool, but then I'm all yours."

    With that I turn and go, dreading Damien's blue eyes and piercing gaze.

Hey people,

A bit of a break and a little bit of a shorter chapter today! I'm still in Italy so when it gets really hot and boring all I do is sit here and write, so updates could be a spur of the moment thing because I'm very impulsive.

Question time: What are your favorite color/colors?

Mine are black and red but only together not apart. Yes, I sound high maintenance rn. No, I am not.

-Maria

Also going to be going back and making some changes to previous chapters. Just a scene revision in chapter four and cutting a scene from chapter one :)