Chapter Six

Warning: unedited ;) will edit later today...enjoy! mmmm

My soccer coach, Ms. Gonzalez, is the most aggravating individual to 'grace' the hallways of J. Rich, and arguably the best looking female teacher in the whole school. If her name was on your transcript you were in for a whole lot of booty, or at least that's what Reid used to say. I groan internally even at the thought of him.

I can see Reid from the soccer field now running back and forth across the football field- it doesn't take long for Ms. Gonzalez to notice my distraction. "Adaline! Laps! Now!" She may be a good-looking one, but she definitely isn't delicate. Not that you have to be delicate to be gorgeous, she just needs to tone it down a couple notches.

Exasperated, I wipe a thick sheen of sweat that had gathered on my brow before falling into step with another girl who had not been giving her full and undivided attention to the drills.

The sun's hot rays seem to send waves of heat up from the ground even though it had rained through the night. Sometimes I really hate this bipolar weather, but soccer is my outlet and there isn't anything that would stop me from playing- even the heat. Every footfall sends a faint muscle pain shooting up my legs, after all, we have been running for at least forty-five minutes and Coach only now busted out the soccer balls. I shake my head; I'm done with these laps.

The girl beside me is huffing and puffing so hard it almost sounds like her lungs are about to burst out of her ribcage. We had been going in circles for the last ten minutes, it's enough. Coach stares at us the entire time with an amused grin on her face, and it only proves the fact that's she's galling.

"Is she going to let us stop?" The words were barely escaping the poor girl's lips as she spoke. "I swear my lungs are about to grow legs and run away."

I laugh awkwardly. Her friendliness temporarily distracts me from my anger for a brief moment and I actually take in her features as we trek along the white lines. Her hair is as blonde as the sun and her eyes are the lightest shade of brown I've ever seen in my life. Even now, as sweat drips off both of our bodies, her beauty is incomparable.

I shrug as we lap once again around the post. "She's doing this out of spite. Trust me, I've been on this team since grade nine."

Brushing a stray hair to the side the girl clutches her side. She's only done one more lap than I have, but she looks rough. "Well she's an ass, isn't she?"

It's weird to hear such a delicate looking girl cuss, even if it's only 'ass'. I chuckle once more. The sun is giving the two of us joggers a beating, and I'm getting tired of it. The other girls are laughing and shooting the ball, but here we are slaving away like little worker bees. "Enough is enough."

Just as I'm about to yell over to Coach she motions for us to join the rest of the team. Only adding to my anger. I grumble. She couldn't have waited another second.

"My name is Calliope, by the way," she says smiling a brilliant smile. It's a wonder I've never seen her here before; she has a face not easily forgotten. I nod to her in response because it's that moment that Reid decides to call out my name.

"And, that's mine," I say wearily. I don't even look in his direction as I'm passed the ball by Rachel, who I've been playing soccer with since we were children. "Did you just move here?"

I fire the soccer ball into the net. For a moment she doesn't say anything since it was her turn to shoot, she misses. Reid calls again. Coach shoots me a glare, but I just shrug. There really isn't anything I can do. The cheating bastard is star struck, but he really should have thought about that. But, then again, do boys ever really think about things before they go ahead and do them? Think with your dick now, head later.

"I guess you could say that," Calliope says looking down at the grass at our feet. "I was here when I was a baby, but I moved away."

I don't have time to answer because Coach's face was not amused. Her brown eyes were lit up with anger, her mouth was set in a thin line, and I'm dreading the punishment she has in mind now. "Calliope and Adaline," she starts with her hands on her hips. "Since you both have so much breath I suggest you start running again, but this time go around the school."

I groan. The entire way from the soccer field and around the school was a lot longer than you'd expect and my legs are already feeling a lot like jelly. But, there isn't anything that I can do about it now.

Calliope looks at me somberly and we take off towards the front of the school. Our pace is slow, and it's evident that we both are feeling fatigued. "Why is she so mean?"

I shrug as I tuck a stray strand of sunlit blonde hair from my face behind my ear. "I mean, she probably hasn't gotten laid in a while."

Now it's her turn to laugh awkwardly and it's clear in that moment that my sexual innuendos aren't going to be appreciated. "Maybe she just didn't get a good night's sleep?"

My phone buzzes.

Blondie, is soccer practice almost over? It's been too long since I've seen your pretty face.

I smirk and shake my head before shoving the phone back into my pocket. Calliope shoots me a questioning glance. "Lucas. He's been my best friend since we were babies. Literally the best person to walk this earth."

"Oh, that guy that was staring at you before," she asks as she grips her side. Her breathing is shallow and her words are softer. We've only made it around to the front of the school and I motion for her to stop and take a breather. It's not like Coach can see us from here. It doesn't take much time for us to reach the parking lot, and after a few moments of awkward silence we begin to speak as if we've known each for more than a few moments.

Yet, as we stand there a knot begins to form in my stomach, and that eerily familiar feeling of being in danger begins to arise once more. It's a feeling of dread, and even as she talks on I stare up at the sky trying to focus. We'd been so lost in conversation, and I'd been too distracted by the sky, that I hadn't even noticed the car that was about to drive straight into us.

Hey people,

So this chapter is mainly meant to introduce Calliope as a character, and I'm so excited for the next chapter. I know there's not much happening here, but we have an action packed next chapter to look forward to.

Question: do you ship Lucas and Adaline???

Also, if you could describe yourself in one sentence what would it be?

Credit to cover attached to this chapter @AKM7598 :)