Chapter Ten Part Two

Warning: unedited.

^^^ the trailer is attached

~

I wake up in a cold sweat, and cover my mouth to stifle my scream. My body is stiff, and I can't stop the tears from falling down my cheeks and onto the bed. Why?

           My breathing becomes heavy and deep. I can't seem to control it. I run into the bathroom, I don't even bother to turn the light on. I race to the shower and turn the knob all the way to cold, freezing.

           I jump in the water without even taking my clothes off. I need to calm down. I need to shock it out. I can't do this; I can't relive that moment again. My body is convulsing with sobs and the terror comes back in waves.

           Heat. Even in the cold I can feel waves of heat travel the length of my body and my lungs cease, so that I can only breath in gasps. Sharp pain is sent throughout my body, and it turns seconds into hours, and minutes into hours. I still can't breathe.

           Count to ten.

           One.

           Two.

           Three.

           No. This isn't going to work. I can't get the image out of my mind. I turn the knob off, stopping the flow of water. I need to get out of here. My eyes are closed shut so tight that I can barely feel them anymore. Of all things to haunt me, it had to be that moment.

           And, to think that today I let that, that monster, drag me through the hallways. To think that I still, deep down, think of him as my friend. It isn't his fault, just as it isn't mine. But, I can't look at him the same anymore, every time I see him, every time those beautiful blue eyes stare at me I see him. I see my brother.

           Blood. I see his blood splattered along the forest floor, along the trees, overtop my body. It isn't Damien's fault. I know it isn't. But, he's the one that pushed the man causing him to pull the trigger, he's the one that did it. Who knows, maybe we all would have died that day if he hadn't gotten scared and run away as I screamed in terror cradling my dead brother in my arms. Maybe it would have been different, but I doubt it.

           Wrapping a towel around my body I sit on my bed, naked. I rock back and forth for what seems like hours. Every time I close my eyes it's as if I can see it, there would be no sleep tonight.

~

           "Sweetheart," Damien cooed at me as he walks through the door. He looks at my puffy eyes and hair that's thrown up carelessly in a bun and frowns. "Rough night?"

           I don't move to look up. I hold my breath as tears once again gather in my eyes. Do not cry, not now. I know he sees it, and knows. In his eyes I can see our five-year-old selves, the fear. It all comes surfaces and his face creases with worry.

           "Why are you here? You should have called me. You have my number for a reason," he says under his breath as he sits down beside me. The number I'd thrown out the moment he'd given it to me. I'd swear to never let him in my life again, there would be no forgiveness. Not from me, not from my mother. Moving to reach his arm out around me, I flinch. His eyes are filled with pain. "I'm sorry, Adaline."

           "Just please," my voice cracks. "Please, I just need to be left alone."

           He nods. Everyone is staring. He doesn't care. He glares at everyone of them.

           They say that even the strongest of people have their moments. I don't claim to be strong, I don't claim to be weak. But, I know in this moment with all the stares and all of the rumours, I wouldn't be able to sit here without this monstrosity of a man sending daggers at everyone who dared to stare.

           "Okay," Sir begins. "Take out a new sheet of paper with today's date."

           I don't move.

           Sir scribbles on the board:

           The Wonderful World of the Comma.

           I groan. Now is not the time to be thinking about the different ways to use a punctuation mark. I stare out the window, thinking only of how cruel this world has been to us.

           Damien, for once, takes out a sheet of paper and begins to copy the notes on the board. Maybe he's' trying to be kind, maybe he just feels guilty, but either way- even though I know I shouldn't- I feel safe. At least, momentarily.

           There's sunlight lighting up the day, but it's nothing compared to the darkness stirring inside me today. Tomorrow would be another day, tomorrow I'd be able to compartmentalize, but for now, I could be sad.

           Even the brightest of flowers sometimes wilt.

Hey people,

So as promised you guys have received the second half of the chapter :)

Here's Damien being a lot less aggressive and sarcastic.

What do you guys think????

Vote, Comment, and share.

Next Chapter received at: 3K

~ Maria