Chapter Ten Part One

Warning: short chapter. Death, and suspense. Sorry guys, I love you.

~

The sky is dark. Clouds swirl above me in colours of violet and deep blue. There is so much light illuminating the sky that it couldn't have been any less bright than a fully-lit summer's day. My long, white dress fans out around me and I spin around. It's a day to remember, filled with laughter and joy.

A raindrop hits my face and I smile softly, reaching a hand to the sky, I feel at home. In that moment, I know that I am. Yet, I also know that I'm not in touch with reality. I'm stuck, again. Trapped in a some other world.

And, then the strangest thing happens. "Adaline!"

The voice calls out for me. "Adaline! Where are you?"

My body begins to feel, begins to truly immerse itself in the dream. There is tension in the air, the rising danger, the sound of waves crashing ever so violently against the shore, there is something awry. This is a moment where time stops, and all else fades into nothing.

Words fly out of my mouth. "Don't come any closer! It's not safe!"

I close my eyes and my entire body is covered in a thick layer of lightning, from head to toe as a figure steps out from the darkness

And then it's gone.

~

One moment I'm standing in the dark, and the next I'm stuck in a memory- a memory I had hoped to never relive.

"Ada!"

My little brother calls for me and I rush to his side. His face is red and his big brown eyes are filled with tears that I wish I could wipe away in an instant. Yet, I have no control over this, it has already been firmly set in stone.

My self-conscious protests. I do not want to be here.

"Henry," I say softly. His hair was the darkest shade of brown and his eyes, his eyes were the color of obsidian, but it was his smile that could turn any frown upwards. His smile that brought light, dull, and saddened dark.

"Ada! Ada! You have to come, come quick! Someone's got him," his tiny voice is frantic and he pulls against my hand, little fingertips grasping my wrist tightly and tugging with all of his force. "You have to help!"

I had been stupid. The three of us had been so stupid. We should have gone to get real help. We should have done something. I thought he'd only gotten stuck in a tree, I thought it was a trivial matter, I thought wrong.

Instead, we ran into the unknown. Into the danger parents warn their children about. Into a scene you could never wipe from your mind. We run as fast as our tiny legs could carry us. We run until we hear voices.

"Let go of me!"

"Shut up, kid. Shut the fuck up before I empty the shotgun into that tiny head of yours," a menacing voice booms throughout the forest, sending fear throughout our bodies. My brother points. The man hears us. It was then that our fates had been sealed. I try to close my eyes, to keep myself from remembering, but it's in vain.

"Look what we have here," he says pointing the gun at the both of us. "Move."

We move. Out into the open. There is no hiding, there is no running. There is simply us, and him. Children, and adult. Gun, against fist.

I look at the other boy. His face is covered in fear, his beautiful blue eyes seem to quiver and his black raven-coloured hair is plastered over his face with a thick sheen of sweat. Damien stares at me with his eyes wide open. I shake my head; I know what he's about to do. He leaps towards the man, and in the shuffle there a loud BANG!

                                                                                                             And then there was a scream.

Then there was a thump.

                                                                                                     Then someone cursed, and ran.

I was left staring into the most beautiful eyes.

                                                                                                   Eyes that were filled with tears.

My brother was lying on the forest floor.

                                                                                                Motionless.

~

Hey guys,

So this is part one of chapter ten. I'm giving it to you guys for reaching 2.5K, you'll get the rest at 2.7

I know this is hard to read, and now you understand why Abalone hates Damien.

I love you guys.

Comment, like, and share.

How will Adaline react to this dream?

- Maria