Chapter Nine

Warning: Luke being a cutie. Cara is Adaline what do ya think? Cast members revealed every new update :)
Also, unedited dudes beware.

~

Lucas is waiting for me by my car when I reach the parking lot. His eyes light up when I near and I smile in return throwing a little punch at his shoulder as I walk by. "Someone's smiley today?"

He shrugs. "I mean I didn't get my ass kicked in football today. Actually," he says raising an eyebrow at me as he gracefully steps inside the car, "I kicked major ass. Would have had you swooning." With that he winks and I laugh.

"Oh really? I beg to differ, you should know by now, I'm very hard to impress."

Shrugging, he sighs. "Reid got to you."

I cast him a glare as a little spark of anger flares. "That was low."

Starting the engine, I plug my phone into the Auxiliary cord and put on my Rainy Day playlist. It's filled with sad songs and Lucas rolls his eyes, crosses his muscular arms over his chest and shakes his head. "Hey, my car. My music." I continue jokingly, "plus, you were an ass."

"Fine," he says begrudgingly. As we make our way through out the small town in silence I contemplate telling him about Damien and Reid, but I'm almost positive he already knows, and the only thing that it would accomplish would be stirring an angry pot. Lucas and Damien never got along, even before everything changed. Looking to the sky for a moment I see a flash of lightning- Lucas catches me staring. "I don't know what it is with you and storms, you're like bees to honey when it comes to them. I think it's a little sadistic."

"Oh yeah, because staring at yourself in my side mirror and making faces at yourself isn't a weird thing to do, right?"

And there you have it, Lucas blushing. I smile again as he sends me a glare, but his hazel eyes are warm with happiness so I know it's only a jest. He's definitely a peculiar one. "You don't play fair, Blondie."

"I never claimed I did," I say as we turn down the Rochester Road. I pull up to his tiny house. The stonework is amazing, creating a path all the way up to his antique wooden door. His mother is a designer, so it only fits that the house is amazingly decorated- even on the outside.

Grabbing his bag, Lucas leans over and places a soft kiss on my cheek. "Catch you on the flip side. Sure you don't want to come in? I have cookies."

"While that does sound tempting, I have a hot date with my bed."

I'm tired. I've been tired for a while now, and even as the sun peaks through the clouds I feel a yawn make its way to my lips. He simply smiles and bounds athletically up to his house. It's habit that I watch him until he safely enters the house, he's like precious cargo to me. Even though he's my protector, doesn't mean I can't look out for him once in a while too. After all, every relationship has to be a two-way street, or it's not really meaningful.

I pick up my phone for a moment. That girl, Calliope was her name, has been messaging me nonstop, and is beginning to become a little overbearing. It's as if she wants to know what I'm doing every waking second. I can't handle it anymore, so I press down on the button and shut the phone off before shifting the car into reverse and making the short trip back to my house.

~

"Adaline?"

My father pokes his head into the door of my bedroom. Mother isn't home, so he has a few moments to spare with me before her piercing gaze keeps him in check. "Hey."

I pull my earphones out and place my pen down on my bed before closing my textbook. He walks in casually and sits on the edge of the bed before sighing. A knot forms in my stomach and in that moment I know what he's going to say isn't going to be pleasant. While he is more affectionate than my mom, there's still a stiffness, or maybe it's awkwardness, about him that makes me feel uncomfortable. It shouldn't be this way.

I shouldn't feel like a stranger in my own home, but ever since it happened, everything has changed. Nothing will ever be the same anymore and all of the beautiful memories are now bloodstained. "We have to talk."

"Can it wait? I have to do my homework," I try to be dismissive as I speak- going so far as to even plug one of my headphones in. Usually, it works, but this time it doesn't.

He sighs and runs a hand through his salt and pepper hair. "This is a pressing matter," he begins. "It's about your mother."

Those simple words are enough to know that something has gone horribly wrong. "What?" I sit up straighter and remember her words in my head, in times of importance you must always act like a lady. Straight back, she would demonstrate elongating her elegant back, and chin up, like the princess you are. She would smile warmly at me, as if nothing were amiss, but it always was. "Has she gone off her meds?"

"No," he says shaking his head and reaching a hand out to touch my cheek. Turning my head away I busy myself with twirling the pen in my hand. "Actually, she's going away for a while. There's a case she needs to deal with in another state."

I can barely contain my excitement at the thought of that woman being out of sight. Out of sight, out of mind. "Okay?" But, I know there has to be more, he had that look. The apologetic look, the one that says, "oh wait, there's more."

"I have to go with her. She refuses to go alone, and you know her- "

I cut him off and say in a mocking tone, "Once she gets an idea in her head there's no changing it."

"Exactly," he continues pulling at the tie tightened at his neck- I'd bought it for him for Father's Day last year, the blue compliments his eyes. "So you're going to be here alone. And, with the accident I don't feel very comfortable with you being alone in this giant house by yourself."

Before he has a chance to continue I cut him off, again, "I'm fine really. Everything will be fine. We can FaceTime when you're in the hotel and everything. Dad, seriously," I say nonchalantly. Yet, I know my excitement is plastered all over my giddy face. "I'll be fine. Trust me."

After about another half an hour of him worrying about me, and me assuring him that there really isn't anything to worry about he finally gives in. So, there we have it: How to Manipulate Dad 101, featuring puppy dog eyes and some seriously sophisticated wording. I should write a book, seriously.

I stand by my floor to ceiling windows, staring aimlessly out the window and look into the forest. Somewhere out there is the person that saved me from certain death. Somewhere out there, and I wonder if I'm really ever going to see them again.

A chill runs down my spine, time to close the window. I shake my head as I pull the drapes shut. I can never shake this stupid feeling. It's as if someone is constantly following me, and I don't know whether to be weary, or to feel as if there's a guardian angel watching over me constantly.

Sleep. Some nights it escapes me, and others it simply coddles me in its sweet embrace, but then there are times when my nightmares are so horrendous that I wake up in cold sweats with bruises and cuts all over my body. There are too many strange occurrences for this to be mere coincidence, and I either have to start digging, or become religious. Because, if not, I don't know what's going to save me.

I grimace before I'm pulled into a deep sleep, and I'm certainly not going to depend of some mysterious figure to save me. I may be in distress, but I sure as hell don't need rescuing. At least, maybe this time I don't.

Hey loves!

Let me know what you think about this chapter! Hope I'm keeping you all interested :)

Believe me loves shit is about to go down.
-Maria

Also, be ready, next chapter is got a huge reveal.... beware.