Planning On It

Tyler came back to the hospital the next day, without Josh.

"Josh went back to Ohio. He'll be back before they release you," Tyler said, putting a bag on one of the chairs in the room.

"Alright. What's in the bag?" I ask.

"My laptop and slippers." I laughed.

"Slippers? Really?"

He made the most serious face I've ever seen and said, "Yes, slippers. They're the most important part of my life. They keep my feet warm. What more could I ask for?" He couldn't hold back his laugh, and neither could I. Nor was I trying.

We hung out in the hospital room for a while, maybe an hour, and Mila walked in with a tray of food.

"Hey, I thought you guys might be hungry, it is lunch-time," she said, setting the tray on the side table.

"Yes! Thank you!" I replied, looking to see what she brought. I was expecting the normal apple sauce in coke, but instead, there was nice, hot oatmeal, with a tall glass of milk. BRUNCH!

Tyler grabbed the plate of bacon and pancakes, and chowed down. I giggled.

"Did you skip breakfast or something?" He smiled.

"No, I just really like pancakes and bacon."

I nodded, and started eating.

Once we were finished, Tyler pushed aside the tray of empty tableware, and put a pack of Uno cards on the table. I gasped dramatically, putting my hand on my chest.

"You brought the only thing in life I enjoy, besides music and food, of course."

Music. I completely forgot about music. Now I wish I had my phone, So me and Tyler could listen to-

Who was it? The band, the band I listened to every day. My favorite band...

I sighed, knowing I would never have the memory restored.

"Music? I have music," Tyler responded quickly. He pulled out his phone and scrolled through something, then hut play.

The rhythm, the voice, the lyrics, the beat, everything sounded like I've heard it once before. The beautiful clash of happy sound with the sad story behind it, all so familiar. Yet another memory lost.

I sighed, letting Tyler shuffle the cards.

"CHEATER!" I yelled at Tyler, laughing so hard my back was starting to hurt.

"AM NOT!" He yelled back, also laughing.

"YOU PUT TWO CARDS DOWN!"

"NO I DIDN'T!"

I removed the very top card, revealing the card that he layed down just under it.

"Then what's that?"

"The card you layed down on your last turn."

"I put down a wild card, Tyler."

"Well... fine, fine, whatever. You win," he said, pouting. I rolled my eyes and he smiled.

"What now?" He asked. I shrugged.

"We've been playing for a while. What time is it?" I looked up at the clock. 5:30.

"Wanna go downstairs and grab something to eat? It's been hours," I suggested. We ate lunch at, what, 11?

"Yeah, I'm getting hungry, " he replied. I hit the call button on my bed to get Mila's attention downstairs, so she can bring me a wheel chair.

After we ate dinner, we made our way back up to my room. For the rest of the night, we talked about ourselves, in hopes we'd get to know each other better. Which we did.

"So let me get this straight," Tyler said, sitting criss-cross (slippers on) at the end of my small hospital bed. "You don't remember your favorite band, book, movie, or song because of your concussion?"

I nodded.

"Well what's your favorite color then?" He asked, leaning his chin on his fist.

"Red. Yours?"

"I like yellow."

"Yellow's nice."

"Do you have a favorite food?"

"Is that a trick question?"

He laughed and nodded. I checked the time.

"Y'know, they're gonna kick you out soon. It's almost ten," I stated, slightly frowning. He groaned, almost like a five year old.

"But I don't wannaaaaaaa!"

Exactly like a five year old.

I laughed and shook my head. "Come back tomorrow then!"

He smiled. "I was planning on it."