Chapter 2

Written by: CarWritesFanfic

****

The Next Morning...

"Morning, Zane!" Travis sings. I look at him and plaster a fake smile on my face. Ever since I got my regular clothes back, I haven't gotten my mask. The reason? I have no answer to that. "Morning, Travis!" I force my voice to sound chipper, but it doesn't make much of a difference. Travis looks up from the pan he was cooking in. He directs his attention to me, "Someone seems chipper!" Travis exclaims. I roll my eyes, "Sure." I mumble quietly. Travis shoots me a confused look, "What was that?" He asks. My body stiffens, but quickly relaxes, "Nothing!" I exclaim in response. Travis glances down at the pan, then at me, "Ok.." He replies. Travis hesitantly looks down at the pan. I stand in my place, looking around, "Breakfast is ready!" Travis exclaims, his voice ringing in my ears. I glance at the green-eyed man, then walk over to him. Both of us sit down. Travis piles some scramble eggs onto my plate. I give him a small 'Thank you' then start eating, "Travis.. Can we make a trip today?" I ask randomly. Travis looks up from his plate, "Where to?" He questions. "The police station." I state. Travis almost drops his fork, "W-Why there?" He stutters in response. "There's someone I need to pay a visit to.." I decide to not give that much information. He doesn't need to know too much. "Who?" Travis asks. I can already see the conversation that's about to start.

"I'm not telling you."

"Tell me."

"Why should I tell you?"

"Because I'm helping you."

"What if I don't want help?"

"You're going to get it anyway."

"I'm not telling you who I'm going to see."

"Then you're not going."

I sigh in defeat, "Fine. I'm going to go see an officer."

Travis seems surprised, "Why do you want to see an officer?"

"I want to see an officer because the officer I want to see is my brother." I inform.

Travis seems hesitant. A question flows from his mouth. One I didn't see coming. "If your brother's an officer, then why're you a murderer? Wouldn't he've already arrested you?" Travis questions.

I'm normally fast to reply, but this one takes me back a bit. "That... I don't really know why our career paths are so different. We're just different people." The reason I'm a murderer? My past. "Garroth and I.. We made an oath when we were younger. An oath that we would never get the other in trouble, no matter what career path we decided to go into. I guess Vylad had other plans once he found out what I chose." I explain.

"Garroth as in..."

"Yes, Garroth Ro'Meave."

"I-I know him!"

"You do?"

"Yea! We used to be roommates!"

I roll my eyes, "Goodie you."

"I know, right!"

I keep myself from replying with something snarky, "Yea." I mumble. Even know it was sarcastic, I made it sound like I was being genuine. When you're a murderer, you have to be good at hiding your feelings. Or masking them with something else, at least. And those skills, I've mastered.

"Sure! I'll take you!" Travis exclaims. I make eye contact with him, "Really?" I question. Travis nods, "Get ready! We're leaving in ten minutes!" Travis has a huge smile on his face as he hops up from his chair and rushes away. I sigh quietly, pick up the plates, then place them in the sink. I run to my room and start to slip on my shoes. Once I'm done with that, I sit on the bed that Travis provided. I pull something out of my pocket. A knife. Garroth was probably the one that checked my clothes, because any other cop in their right mind would've thrown the knife away once they felt the lump of it. I smirk and run my fingers over the knife. There's a sudden knock on the door. I whip my head in the direction of the noise, "Ready to go?" Travis asks, his voice muffled. I nod, but remember that he can't see me. I stuff the knife under the bed, "Yep!" I reply, then get up. I walk out the door, "Are you sure Garroth's working right now?" Travis asks. I nod, somebody being able to see me this time, "Yep. Do you think I'd let myself get arrested without Garroth there?" I reply. Travis looks at me weirdly, "You 'let yourself get arrested'?" Travis questions. "Of course. If I needed to, I would slash the officers down. To be a murderer, such as myself, you need to know how to get yourself out of those situations." I state. Travis replies with a slight nod. "Why did you become a murderer?" Travis asks as we get into his car. That wasn't a question I was ready to answer.