One

-Jack-

Another detention.

Mark and I got caught for starting a fight with the other seniors at the table next to us during lunch. This was the third detention we got that week. Not that we really cared, we were so used to getting many detentions together. The two of us alone caused so much trouble in school for the past years. We did as we pleased.

And we liked it that way.

During the detention, Mark threw a paper ball at my head when the teacher stepped out. I turned around and glared at him. "What do you want?"

He gestured towards the door. "Let's get outta here."

I frowned. "I don't know Mark. I really don't need another suspension."

He got out of his seat, pushed some desks out the way, and went to the door. "It's Mrs. Collins who's watching us Jack, she probably forgot about us already." He flashes me a devilish smile. "You wouldn't let me go through it alone, now will you Sean?"

Mark would always start everything and I would follow after him. No matter what it was, I would go through it with him. Especially when he would use my real name.

I got up and followed him to the door. "You're lucky you're my best friend."

He laughed. "I am very lucky."

He looked out the door and scanned the hallways. He gestured for me to go out. After a second of standing around, we quickly ran to the stairs heading to the main floor and exit. We were so close to the exit when we heard many footsteps coming our way. We both froze in place. I started to panic as I looked over at Mark for instructions. He grabbed my hand and he dragged me to the boys' bathroom.

He looked at me. "You okay?"

I sighed in relief. "Yeah, even after a few years of doing this, I'm not used to it."

He patted me on my shoulder. "No worries buddy, I'll always have your back."

"Now what are we going to do?"

He opened the door slightly. "I can still hear some people outside. We'll wait here for a while until they leave. Okay?"

I nodded. "Okay."

Mark went over to the mirror and messed around with his hair, which he dyed red a year ago. After he dyed his, I decided to dye mine green because it really was one of my favorite colors.

Minutes passed and the teachers were still talking outside. "Mark, I don't think they're going to leave any time soon."

He sighed. "I think you're right." He goes over to the window. "Let's see if I can get this open."

I chuckled. "I doubt the school would keep-"

Before I could finish, he opened it. He looked at me with a smirk. "You were saying?"

I rolled my eyes. "Well never mind then."

He climbed out half way, looking down then back at me. "I think it'll be a safe jump from here, if anything I'll catch you if you too scared."

He laughed as I said, "Just get out!"

He climbed the full way out and I looked out to see he was already dusting himself off. He looked up at me. "You need me to catch you buddy, or you got it?"

I started climbing out. "I'm fine, I can do it myself."

It wasn't too big of a jump down but I felt my nerves to build up quickly as I looked down. I knew if I didn't go through with it Mark would come back to get me, but I knew we both would get caught if that happened.

I took a deep breath and jumped it.

I made it but as I tried to get up, I felt a sharp pain in my ankle. I sat on the ground holding it.

Mark came over to me, concern washed over his face. "Jack, did you sprain your ankle?"

I nodded. "I think so."

He sighed. "You goof, I told you that I would catch you if you couldn't do it."

I glared at him. "I wanted to do it myself. Just go home yourself, I'll stay here and call my mom or something."

"No man, I'm never going to leave you behind, and especially since you're injured." He got down. "Get on my back, I'll carry you."

I raised my eyebrow at him. "Seriously?"

He sighed dramatically. "Just get on."

I got up the best I can and went over to him. He picked me up by my legs and I wrapped my arms around his neck. "Did you gain some weight Jack?"

"Shut up," I said as I laid my chin on top of his head gently.

He laughed. "Wanna head to my house?"

"Sure."

He carried me all the way to the bus stop and his house then helped my ankle as soon as we got there. I watched as he gently put an ice pack on it and wrapped it up in a cloth. Mark always looked out for me, it's been like that since day one. He always had the instinct to protect me. He's the best thing to happen to me and I never wanted us to part ways.

Deep down I knew what was happening.

He was turning into my everything.