Sixteen

-Jack-

I felt dead the entire weekend. I refused to get out of bed, eat, sleep and talk to anyone. My mom had tried to come into my room to see if I was still alive but I refused to talk to her and when Felix came along, I refused as well. I just didn't like the feeling of not having Mark in my life anymore, and I was trying to believe that it would pass.

I didn't expect Mark to do this. It pained me. He was the only person that I've ever felt a true connection with and his best idea was to just throw it all away because he didn't know how he was feeling. I barely knew what I was feeling, but I knew I wasn't going to do what he did. Yet, I also thought if I just told him that I liked him more than just a best friend we could have avoided all of this.

Tears would come every time I would think about it.

By Monday morning my mom had dragged me out of bed and told me to get ready for school. I still didn't eat anything, so I was weak as ever. Sadly this isn't the first time I have done this.

Before I left the house, my mom stopped me and asked, "Jack honey, did something happen between you and Mark?"

I didn't look at her. "Why would you think something is wrong between us?"

"Well, I called his mother yesterday, and she said he wasn't doing well either. He was just like you all weekend."

All of a sudden I started to cry in front of her and barely whispered, "I love him, mom..."

She came over to me and hugged me. "Honey, I knew that already. So tell me what happened."

"He said he didn't want to be my friend anymore...he said he did it for my own good."

She held me at arm's length. "He probably didn't mean it, and he's probably going through a lot, and he thought that was the best choice at the time. He might be regretting it. All you have to do is go talk to him about it."

"I'm scared..."

"I know honey. But you can keep acting scared and lose your best friend or grab some courage and talk to him about it."

I hugged her as I let her advice sink in. "Thanks, mom."

She hugged me back and then asked, "Would you like a ride to school today?"

I nodded, and she ended up taking me to school. Her words kept repeating in my head as we drove there. It was true that I was scared to talk to him but yet it was true that I wanted to fight for our friendship and if I'm able, tell him how I really feel.

When I arrived at school, I wasn't greeted with Mark waiting for me like it used to be but with Felix there. He pulled me into a hug right away. "How are you feeling?"

"Not well," I sighed. "I've been a mess all weekend, and I haven't eaten anything."

He looked at the time on his phone. "Well you're here pretty early, let's go have one of the school's breakfast."

I whined, "But I don't want to Felix!"

He grabbed my hand and dragged me to go get breakfast. "I don't care if you don't want to. You might pass out if you don't."

He grabbed me some food, but I was still refusing to eat it. "I am not eating, Felix!"

As I said that, Mark came walking into the lunch. We caught eyes for a second before I looked away. Felix noticed. "Just eat already!" he snapped.

I played with my fingers as I did my best not to look at Mark. "I don't want to," I barely whispered.

"He's not even looking over here." I still refused. He finally grabbed some food and said, "Fine, I'll just feed it to you."

I glared at him. "Felix, I swear to God!"

He moved the food towards my mouth. "Here comes the choochoo train!"

I started laughing and felt more relaxed. "I'll eat it if you just stop."

He put the food down and laughed too. "Thank you!"

I ate the food as he made sure that I would eat every piece. I gave the empty tray to him. "Go throw it away now."

He got up to leave. "Oh, would you look at the time, almost time for class. I better get going," he quickly said as he walked off in front of me.

I laughed. "Ye Swedish pussy!"

I ran after him after I heard him laughing. We walked together to class. "Will you be okay for the time being?"

I nodded. "Yeah. I just need time."

He put a hand on my shoulder. "If anything goes talk to him soon. I meant when I said he would never abandon you, Jack."

I sighed. "Thanks..."

"I'll skip class and join you at lunch. Okay?"

I smiled slightly. "I'll see you then."

It was hard to focus in my classes because Mark was in the majority of them. I kept looking over to him if he would turn around and look at me but he wouldn't. And in the classes where we sat next to each other, he managed to convince the teacher to move his seat. It was really breaking my heart to not have him near me anymore.

By lunch time I was a big mess again. Felix and I decided to sit at the front table because Mark was already sitting at the back table. I had my back towards him while Felix faced him. "I guess you don't want to eat this time?" Felix asked.

I stared out the window. "No..."

He sighed. "Jack just go talk to him. What is he going to do to you? You know he's not going to hurt you."

I looked at him slightly. "But he did. I really like him, Felix, we both know that, but now my feelings don't mean anything."

"So you're just going to lay around being depressed the rest of your life because you miss him? Jack, he's right there. He's probably hurting just like you."

"And how do you know that huh? He's the one who said he didn't want to be a friend anymore and all he could say was sorry. Felix, you don't understand how much that hurt me," I said as tears started to form.

Felix looked at me with concerned. "Jack..." I got up without saying a word. "Jack!" Felix said a little louder.

Nate stopped me from leaving the lunch room. "Where are you going?"

"Get out of my way," I said quietly.

Everybody went quiet as Nate said, "I need you to take a seat if you're not going to answer me where you are going."

My nerves were running, and I was ready to blow up. I had to get out of the school quickly.

I pushed Nate out of the way and took off running. I heard Nate scream out for security while Felix screamed for me to stop. I ran down the stairs and headed for the exit as I heard many footsteps behind me.

Before I was out the doors I heard Nate scream, "Mark, Jack, get back here!"

I kept running once I was out, and all I could hear was his footsteps behind me.

----

A/n: So sorry for not updating for two days :/ I've been very busy and drained. But I think everything should be running smoothly again.

Anyway...

I THINK WE ARE ARRIVING TO THE LAST FEW CHAPTERS! I'M NOT REALLY SURE JUST YET BUT I THINK I'M GOING TO END IT SOON.