Six

-Mark-

Jack came rushing over to me the best he could with his crutch and he looked angry. It was probably because I refused to tell him yesterday why I called him cute. I knew why I called him it too and I felt like I should tell him, but I liked the attention he was giving me.

He approached me and before he could say anything, I said, "Why does my little leprechaun look mad?"

He pointed at me and pouted. "How dare you not tell me why!? Even after I beat you fair and square!"

I put my hands up in defense. "I did say I would tell you, but I never said when."

He glared at me. "You hard headed loser."

I laughed. "True. Can't argue with that."

And it didn't stop there. Every chance he got, he brought it right back up. When we walked to class and when we were in class. It was fun to see how much it really bothered him and it was cute too because it showed he cared. A certain feeling came into my chest every time he did it. Jack meant a great big deal to me, it wasn't hard to miss that, but lately I've been viewing him a bit different. I felt like I knew what it really was but I found myself fighting at it. If I told him how I felt without knowing his feelings first, our friendship would totally fall. It was a risk I wasn't going to take.

It was finally just him and me in lunch now since Felix had to go back to class, which I was thankful for. But he was still with the whole tell me why deal. He had grabbed his crutch and started poking me with the end of it while he kept repeating my name. I decided to ignore him until he started to poke me harder.

"Jack, I swear to God, if you don't stop I will beat you with that crutch!" I yelled at him slightly.

He didn't stop. "You wouldn't dare hurt me. If you had to, you would protect me from yourself you hard headed fool."

He was right. I sighed. "You little Irish potato, shut up!"

He laughed. "But Markimoo!"

I raised an eyebrow at him. "Markimoo?"

He blushed and smiled shyly. "Y-yeah. That's your nickname now. Problem?"

I smiled at the sight of him. "No problem at all...Jackaboy."

He laughed. "Jackaboy?"

"Yes, that's your nickname."

He went back to poking me. "Tell me now."

I pretend to cry. "Jack, I'm not going to tell you if you keep poking me."

He poked me one last time before saying, "Fine, I'll stop. But you have to tell me sooner or later."

"I choose later, thank you very much."

He rolled his eyes. "Is it really that bad to tell me?'

I sighed. "It's not bad. I just need to be sure, okay?"

He looked at me in silence then turned to the window. "Okay. I can understand."

"I promise to tell you later. I never break a promise to you."

He smiled slightly which made me calm down. "Yeah, I know."

As much as I was dying to tell him, I felt like I couldn't do it. If I met him before I reached high school and didn't get as close as I did with him, I probably would have been able to tell him. I wasn't even supposed to get close with him to begin with, but something about him just pulled me to him. And I couldn't stop it.

I waited for Jack to meet me by the exit when Nate came up to me. "You're back," he said.

"Yeah." I laughed slightly. "Shouldn't you be on the third floor?"

"Had to stop a fight from the other exit. I was surprised to know it wasn't you in the wrap."

I ran my hand through my hair. "Can't get detention or suspended again man."

He laughed and then his face got serious. "I think your little green friend has something to tell you."

I looked at him. "What do you mean?"

He looked straight ahead as if he was thinking. "I heard him talk quite a lot about you yesterday, it's not my place to exactly tell you what he said, but you should try to get him to talk."

I stood in front of him, looking him straight in the face. "You aren't lying to me, are you?"

He gives me a fixed look. "I know you've known me just a long as him or longer. I would never lie to you."

I backed down and sighed. "Fine. I'll try to talk to him. But I doubt he'll say anything."

"Felix was there too and he heard everything. So if anything ask him."

I nodded. "Thanks."

He shrugged. "Just thought you should know." And with that, he left.

I wondered what Jack could have said about me. If it was bad or good. If it was life changing or not. If Jack wanted to end our friendship or if he wanted some space between us. Maybe he was just missing me and that's what Nate was hearing. I could live with that because I can see how much cares for me and it doesn't bother me at all if he missed me. I liked the feeling of being needed by him. I kept contemplating more about it as Jack approached me with Felix.

Jack smiled happily at me. "Felix and I are going to hang at his house. Do you wanna join us?"

I forced a smile. "Actually I can't today. My mom expects me home."

Jack's face fell. "Aw, but I won't get to see you again until Monday. Are you sure your mom won't allow you if you tell her you'll be with me?"

I continued to lie to him. "I don't think so. She made it strict this morning to come home."

Jack sighed. "Well I'll see you Monday then."

Before he walked away I asked. "By the way Jack, if you had anything serious to tell me, would you tell me?"

He didn't think too much on his because he responded quickly. "Of course Mark. Why do you ask?"

I scratched the back of my neck. "I was only wondering." I smiled at him. "See you until Monday Jackaboy."

He smiled back. "See you until then Markimoo."

He walked in the other direction with Felix helping him walk as I went in the other direction alone with my thoughts