Two

‑Mark‑

Jack came to school with a crutch in his left hand. After I took care of Jack the best I could the day before, I called his mother to let her know what happened. She took him to the hospital after she picked him up. I grabbed his book bag and asked, "So what did the doctor say?"

"He said that I shouldn't walk on it for about a week or so. It really hurts," he said wobbling himself on the crutch trying to hold himself up.

Guilt filled my body. He wouldn't have got hurt if I didn't make him jump out the window. "I'm sorry Jack. You got hurt because of me."

He shook his head. "Don't put the blame on yourself. You did offer to catch me, I was just stubborn to take your offer."

I messed around with his hair. "Next time I'll catch you. I won't let you get hurt again."

He turned away from me slightly and blushed. I felt a bit surprised as I saw him blush right in front of me. He never blushed when I messed around with his hair; in fact, he would never let me touch his hair as much as he was letting me as the moment happened. But I wasn't bothered by the fact it happened, it bothered me that I didn't know why.

When I removed my hand, he went back to normal. I wanted to ask why he blushed and how come he let me keep my hand on him but one of our other friends ran over to us, interrupting our time.

"Jack, what happened?" Felix asked.

Felix was more close to Jack than he was with me. They were able to tease and playfully fight with each other so easily. Felix would make fun of Jack for being Irish while Jack made fun of Felix for being Swedish. It would always be a fun experience. However, when it came to me, Felix kept his cool and did his best not to offend me in any way. He probably thought I was going to hurt him due to the tough persona I built up over the years. But Jack never did build too much on that persona, he kept it more in between with him being so kind.

"Mark and I left detention through a window yesterday. I didn't land very well, like Mark did." He gestured toward me.

Felix gave me a harmless scowl. "How dare you let poor Jack get hurt!"

I sighed and ran my hand in my hair. "Yeah, yeah, I know. Next time I'll protect him better. I promise."

I looked over at Jack who was blushing again. Felix noticed it too because he poked Jack's face and said, "Someone likes Mark a bit too much."

Jack became wide eyed and slapped Felix's hand away from his face. "I do not. It's just hot in here or something."

Felix laughed and the bell rang. "Gotta head to first period. See you guys later." And he ran off.

Jack and I stood there in silence as students rushed past us. I cleared my throat forgetting about the situation. "Let's get to our class. We don't need to be late."

He nodded as he kept eye contact away from me. I helped him walk down the halls as he struggled with the crutch. The mood around us seemed so awkward, as if Jack really didn't want to be by me. The thought of it made worry rise up in my chest.

When we reached the first class our teacher said, "You two are excused from my class today. The principal wants to see you right away." He looked at Jack's crutch. "Be careful."

We walked to the principal's office slowly. "What do you think he wants?" Jack asked.

I shrugged. "Probably for not something good."

Jack gave me a worried look. "Mark, what if we get suspended? You know I can't get suspended again this month."

I gripped his shoulder gently. "I promise, I'll do my best not to get you suspended. Just let me do all the talking."

We went into the office to be greeted with the principal forcing a smile. "Please sit down Mark and Jack."

I pull Jack's chair out and helped him sit down. "You comfortable?"

He looked away and blushed again. "I'm good. Thanks."

I took a seat and looked at the principal straight in the eye. "You wanted to see us because?"

He glared at me and sat back in his seat. "You two ditched your detention yesterday."

Jack sat back, playing with his hands. He was getting nervous. I looked back at the principal. "What does that mean now? We can just do it again?"

The principal shook his head. "I'm sorry boys, I can't let that happen."

"Then what are you going to do?" I asked.

"I have to suspend you two."

Jack stopped playing with his hands and his right leg started to bounce repeatedly. I knew if I didn't try to fix this, he would break down. "Sir, don't suspend Jack, he doesn't deserve it."

"And why shouldn't I Mr. Fischbach?"

I sighed. "I forced Jack to ditch with me, he didn't want to ditch but he did it because he didn't want to be alone. I know you might give me the he has his own mind kind of speech, but you don't know Jack like I do sir."

The principal looked at Jack. "Is he correct?"

Jack nodded. Y-yes s-s-sir," he stuttered out.

The principal noticed and sighed. "Fine. I won't give him suspension, but you'll get suspended for two days Mark."

That made Jack's head shoot up and he was about to blow up and argue, but I put my hand on his knee and said to the principal, "I'll take that sir. It was my fault in the end."

He nodded. "Good. I'll call your mother to let her know."

Once out of the office, I pulled Jack gently to the boys' bathroom to talk. He looked at me pissed. "You didn't have to do that..."

I shook my head. "Jack, if you got suspended your mother would have pulled you out the school and sent you to another one."

He looked down at his shoes. "I know..."

In the moment he looked so sad. It bothered me so much to see him that way that I went over to him and hugged him. "It's okay. I promised I wouldn't let anything happen to you."

He tensed up at first but after a few seconds he relaxed and hugged me back. "Thank you Mark."

I pulled back and messed with his hair. "No need kiddo."

He blushed and he didn't try to hide it this time. "I'm not a kid."

I rolled my eyes and laughed. "Whatever you say...Kiddo."

He sighed loudly and said, "Whatever."

Even if he didn't want me to take the two suspensions, I knew what was best for him. And I was going to provide him with the best.