Four

-Jack-

It was weird not seeing Mark in the morning the next day. I was so used to being greeted with him leaning against our lockers and the bright smile he got when he saw me. I felt myself being upset going around the school without him by my side. I kept looking at the clock in each class hoping that time would go faster and the two days without Mark could pass already.

Felix joined me in lunch just like he said he would, but it didn't feel the same as it did yesterday.

He noticed. "You really miss him, don't you?" he asked as I stared out the window.

I messed around with my crutch and sighed. "I do. I love having you here with me Felix, but Mark's presence is more important to me." I blushed just thinking about him.

He laughed. "I knew it. You can't hide it anymore Jack!"

I looked at him confused. "What do you mean?"

He leaned in close and said, "You like Mark a bit more than you show."

I was taken back and I felt the heat rush up into my face. I felt...Well I didn't know what I felt at the moment. I really couldn't say he was wrong but yet I couldn't say that he was right. Lately I had been feeling different around Mark, anything that he did really caught my attention in a different way. When he would smile at me, when he protected me and would say he would do anything for me, even when he would mess around with my hair. I wanted his hand to stay on top of my head and I wanted his arms to stay wrapped around me, protecting me...

Felix poked my face, bringing me back to reality. "You're blushing just at the thought of him, aren't you?"

I turned my head away. "Leave me alone Felix."

"Okay I'm sorry. I don't mean to hurt your feelings. I mean, it's okay if you like him in that manner. I'm not going to judge you."

I sighed. "It's just that, I don't exactly know if that is what I'm feeling Felix. Sure, I love Mark, but it's only been as a best friend."

"Well, when you think of Mark, what is the first thing to pop into your mind?"

I didn't think too much on my answer. "My everything. I really need him Felix. I've needed him since I've met him."

He thought a bit before he said, "I mean, I understand that he's always taken care of you, but you have no idea how he is going to feel when he hears how you're questioning your feelings for him. He could just see you as a brother or best friend."

I sighed as I laid my chin on my arms. "You don't think I know that? I'm not going to tell him how I feel. Well, not until I get my head straight."

Felix smiled and punched me in the arm playfully. "Hey I'm here if you ever need to talk."

I smiled back. "Thanks."

I was so thankful that the rest of the school day passed quickly. As soon as the final bell rang, I was out the doors and on my way to the bus stop. When I got close enough, I saw Mark looking down at his phone. At first I thought it was just my imagination, and I was going crazy because I missed him so much but as I got closer he looked up and smiled. My stomach got butterflies as he approached me.

"How's my little leprechaun?" He smiled brightly and grabbed my book bag.

I giggled and blushed when he called me that but he gave me a weird face in response. I turned my face away. "Sorry..."

He messed with my hair. "Why you apologizing?"

I looked up at him. "I giggled. I don't giggle."

He brushed my hair back and smiled slightly. "You don't blush either but you do it, and I have no problem with it. It's pretty cute on you."

I raised an eyebrow. "Cute?"

He laughed nervously and scratched the back of his neck. "S-sure."

I changed the subject. "So what you doing here?"

"Well, I thought I would just come down here to see you and if I could hang with you."

"We could go to my house," I offered. "Plus my ankle hurts a bit and I just wanna rest."

He nodded and smiled. "That's fine with me!"

The bus arrived and we got on. The ride to my house was quiet. I felt very nervous around him to say anything. I did my best not to make eye contact with him either. It was like so many butterflies were in my stomach and I didn't know what to do to make them stop. More I thought about it, more I started thinking that I could like Mark in more than just a best friend way...but I couldn't just accept that, could I?

He looked at me worried when he noticed I was playing with my fingers a lot. "Jack are you okay?"

"Huh?" I stopped and put my fingers in my pocket. "Oh, um, yeah. I'm fine."

He gave me a concerned look. "You're not lying to me, are you?"

I shook my head and forced a smile. "I would never lie to you."

He didn't push it any further, which I was thankful for.

Once it was our stop, he helped me exit the bus and we started heading to my house. Halfway there, my ankle started to hurt and I sat down on the ground. "This fucking shit hurts so much."

He got down to my level and asked, "Need me to carry you?"

"Y-you don't mind?" I asked nervously.

"I did it once. I can do it again." I got on his back and he carried me with ease. Just like before, I placed my chin on top of his head.

"Comfortable?" he asked.

"Yes," I said happily.

He laughed and he started walking. "So, did you have a good day at school?"

I started playing with his hair. "Not really. I missed you there."

"Wasn't Felix with you at least?"

"Sure he was, but it just didn't feel the same." I sighed. "My day is just better with you in it."

He was quiet for a while once I said that. He must have felt uncomfortable. As much as I needed him in my life, maybe I needed him a bit too much. I stopped playing with his hair and took my chin off the top of his head.

He finally said, "I'm going to pick you up again tomorrow, okay?"

"Huh?" I asked confused.

He turned to look at me slightly. "I'm picking you up again tomorrow. I promise."

It made me really happy to hear him say that. But I simply say, "Okay.' I went back to playing with his hair.

I guess it was okay to need him the way I do.