43. Blackmail

[RECAP: Mr Marek's horrible ex-girlfriend Victoria just found out that he's involved with Sera...]

Sera was still reeling from everything Victoria had threatened, and she was even more alarmed to see Mr Marek looking conflicted.

Surely he couldn't be thinking of taking that awful woman Victoria back? Sera felt cold at the thought.

He rubbed his eyes. Victoria was hovering the doorway, awaiting a response.

"Please go into the kitchen.  I need to talk to Sera in private."

Victoria hesitated for a moment, clearly reluctant to leave the two of them alone. In the end she did as requested but not without a sinister look of triumph on her face.

Never more had Sera wanted to slap someone.

When she had gone Mr Marek spoke to her in a lowered voice. "I'm not worried about me, Sera, they can all go to hell. I'm worried about the implications for you."

"I don't care either." Sera was determined to be bold.

"I'd get sacked, I know that. It's no big deal, thanks to you I'm painting again. But what would happen to you, would you be expelled?"

Sera thought about it. "Pretty much, yes." A girl had been exposed for dating her music teacher a couple of years previously and they had both had to leave in disgrace. If Sera was expelled she probably wouldn't be able to sit her A-levels but right now she didn't care about that. She could always defer a year and go to a crammer. She told Mr Marek this.

"The last thing I want is for you to have to do that. And what about your parents? How would your family react?"

That was the real rub. If her father and Marisa found out she was screwing her art teacher there was no way they would support her studying art in London next year. She might try to work and save up and pay for it all by herself but it wouldn't be easy. "They'd freak out but I'd manage." The vision of Victoria seemed to make St Martin's fade further away. First delaying her A-levels and then university.

She couldn't lose him now. The thought of it made her realise how deep her feelings had grown for him. Not that she had any idea of his or how she stood with him.

"It's not just your parents," Mr Marek continued. "I know what she's capable of and the kind of salacious interest there would be in this. If the press picked up on the scandal it could be lethal for your prospects, Sera. Victoria has all sorts of connections in the art world. I don't want you branded as... in the way that you might be branded if it all leaked out."

He took her hands, trying to make her understand.

"For me it's different. A scandal wouldn't affect me nearly so much. I hardly had the reputation of an angel before.  But I'm not about to disrupt your education, your relationship with your family, your entire life."

"You would rather have her come and stay here?" Sera couldn't believe she was hearing this. Victoria, in the very bed she had slept in. Gloating over her victory.

"I would rather the sun froze over. But I'm not wrecking your life."

Sera knew instinctively that there was no way she was going to change his mind. To convince him that she didn't care about school, only him. But how could she even say that to him? It wasn't like he had said that to her.

He tried to console her, while she felt the sun had already frozen over. "It's just for a few months. Hopefully she'll get bored sooner, but if not it's only until June. After that I'm out of here, it's a non-story."

Out of here... Sera's heart sank even further. She could barely speak but tried to keep her voice steady. "You're leaving in June?"

"My contract ends then. I'll still want to see you, though."

Hope flickered. "In June?" That far away?

"I need you like a drug, Sera. The addiction isn't going to go away." Mr Marek pushed a strand of hair off her face, tilting it up towards him. But he didn't kiss her, even though she longed for him to.

They gazed into one another's eyes, Sera feeling utterly hopeless.

"I won't be sleeping with her. I won't even be in the same room as her, whatever she tries. I'll get a lock." He was trying to make light of it but Sera felt as though she were plummeting downwards.

"If this is what you want."

"It's not what I want, baby." His voice was tender. "I just want to keep you safe."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you're interested in receiving a FREE sexy student-teacher short story (18+), sign up to my mailing list (click External Link):

http://www.subscribepage.com/noel

★★★ And don't forget - if you can't wait to find out what happens with Evil Victoria - you can get His Model Student on Amazon Kindle and iBooks! ★★★