45. Victoria's rules

[RECAP: Sera is forced to stay apart from Mr Marek due to his evil blackmailing ex Victoria...]

Victoria had laid down her conditions - or rules, as they felt to Sera - for not reporting her affair with her art teacher.

Sera was to have no contact with Mr Marek outside class. No socialising, no more modelling, nothing. If Victoria suspected even the merest fraternising between them she would go straight to Sera's school and her parents.

So once again relations became distant and coolly professional in class. Sera was dying to be with him, to be able to linger after class and speak to him, but Mr Marek made sure that nothing happened.

She knew he was protecting her but still, it hurt.

At evening classes the cooler relations between them were noticed by other students. Sera saw Jasper giving her a quizzical look once or twice when the art teacher's manner was unusually brusque towards her. In fact Mr Marek had fought for Sera to remain in the class: Victoria had wanted her to quit, she claimed that unlike school, Sera wasn't required to be there.

It was the only point he won, arguing that it was part of Sera's education and he wasn't going to allow it to be disrupted.

In retaliation, Victoria started driving him to the class and picking him up afterwards. Once she even attended, keeping a beady eye on proceedings and leaving everyone else mystified as to why their teacher's girlfriend was suddenly hanging around. The atmosphere was uncomfortable: no one really warmed to Victoria.

"Back on the scene, eh?" Surprisingly it was Barry who first commented on the situation to Sera. They were in the Norfolk Arms after class; Mr Marek was no longer permitted to attend.

"They've been together a long time, I believe." Sera hated being complicit in a lie but it was one of Victoria's conditions. Officially she and Mr Marek were a couple again. She had told him that once they got used to this again, their old affection would return. The thought turned Sera's stomach.

"I did think..." Jasper began, then stopped himself. "Well, there's no accounting for taste."

"A very odd woman," Elizabeth noted.

Sera was mildly comforted by this. She longed to tell them what was going on but she didn't dare. She agonised over what they might be thinking: possibly that Sera had had a crush on the teacher and been rejected. Or that they had had a brief fling and she had been dumped when his girlfriend returned. It was humiliating.

There was only one more class before the Christmas holiday. Everyone had signed up again for the Spring term which she was glad about. She would have missed them otherwise.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If anyone's on Twitter, feel free to Follow me and I'll Follow you back!

I'm @noelcades (same as here) or just click the External link ;)