Chapter Nine

After breakfast with less talking this time, the ladies had returned to their rooms to don their riding habits. They were led to the stables where Lord Lansbury was already waiting and standing beside a sturdy horse with smooth black coat that looked more like silk and glistened in the morning sun. He turned towards them as they approached and smiled.

"Hello Ladies!" He then observed Lorraine with a smile. "You look radiant."

Elizabeth was rather awed by the size of the stable and the number of horses the individual pens contained each. "I've never seen a stable this large!" She confessed.

Lord Lansbury smiled. "It contains most of the finest of breeds in the country."

She slowly ran her hand on the neck of the black horse whose reins Lord Lansbury was holding. "And so beautiful..." She cooed dreamily.

Lord Lansbury only nodded and turned again towards the path to the house to see his sister coming towards them. Elizabeth's smile slowly waned when she noticed Lady Kristine coming towards them and she lost interest in the horses and stables for now. "Milord!" Lady Kristine reached them and acknowledged her brother with a smile. She looked so beautiful and fetching in her expensive lilac frock that Elizabeth couldn't stop herself from openly scrutinizing her in envy. "Elizabeth!" Lady Kristine called and Elizabeth with a startled smile jerked her eyes up to lady Kristine's.

"Morning milady!" She quickly curtsied, noticing that she had initially forgotten the formalities.

"Morning." Lady Kristine said with a tight smile. "I do hope you slept...and dreamt well..." Lady Kristine's words were hinted with hidden sarcasm.

Elizabeth blushed in embarrassment. She felt that the way lady Kristine was pointedly staring at her was as if she knew Elizabeth had touched herself before falling asleep after experiencing such an intense climax last night while fantasizing about her brother. "Of course I did, milady." She replied and averted her gaze, still feeling embarrassed by the older woman.

"Very well then..." Lady Kristine glanced at every one of them. "I can see you all are set and ready to go tour the grounds."

"Is lady Kristine coming along?" Elizabeth suddenly blurted out to Lord Lansbury before she could stop herself but it was lady Kristine who replied instead.

It was obvious that Elizabeth dreaded her company but she said anyway with her gaze locked with her brother's and a knowing look passed between them. "No, Elizabeth... I'm afraid I have one or two matters to tend to in town." She finally turned to look at Elizabeth who looked rather relieved now. "In as much as I'd have loved to accompany you, I'll have to excuse myself from this very one."

Elizabeth was beaming now. "Of course milady, I do understand how being wealthy and having such a vast land and property to take care of must always get you busy." She said snidely.

"Hmmm." Lady Kristine only said, seeing through her deceit. "Of course dear, perhaps, if you are lucky to win yourself a husband of such a promising title which is rather close to being impossible, I'm sure you'll understand how numerous and tiresome are the responsibilities that come with being wealthy." She replied in the same sarcastic tone and with a wicked smile and Elizabeth became more uncomfortable.

"The horses!" Lord Lansbury said aloud, obviously tired of the morning squabble between the two women. Two grooms led two fine and saddled horses out of the stables and handed the reins of one to Elizabeth and the other to Lorraine.

"Fetch the buggy!" Lady Kristine ordered one of the grooms. "And tell the rider to be quick about it!" As the groom hurried away to carry out her orders, she pulled close to Lorraine who was silently admiring her horse which was of chestnut colour, had almost a full fluffy tail and mane that had been neatly brushed and the mane was so long that it fell over the horse's forehead and concealed its eyes. Its fur was so beautiful that she couldn't resist slowly caressing it's full round belly. "I see you like the horse already." Lady Kristine said softly, startling her and Lorraine quickly withdrew her hand from the horse's body making Lady Kristine scoff. "Oh no! Do go ahead! Everyone wants to admire something good."