Chapter Thirteen

Lorraine sat on log partly sucked into the sandy beach overlooking the vast sea as she hugged her knees and the wind slightly fluttered the part of her skirt it could seize from her arms. The roaring waves would come rolling to the shore but would only lap at the sand a few feet away from her feet with white foam before it receded into the sea only to return with full force and repeat the same process. There were cries of sea birds and few were circling the sky above the sea, scanning the water for any unwary fish to savage and cart away. She could perceive the dampness and saltiness of the sea and she longed to know where this vast water could take her to. What adventures laid in wait for her if only she could be daring enough to get on one of the vessels and flee the country before her wedding to Lord Lansbury.

It was the fifth day of her visit ever since she had travelled with Elizabeth to the Lansbury castle and already she was homesick. She was not homesick because she missed her aunt or her other cousins, she was just home sick because she missed her maid who was more like a mother and a confidant to her. She needed someone to talk to and she definitely knew how Elizabeth envied her and how Lady Kristine despised her for no obvious reason. She was glad that Elizabeth kept Lord Lansbury's company which enabled him from bothering her too often. There was just something frightening about the man that chilled her to the bones and coming to the beach everyday had been her excuse to find solace.

Anytime she looked at the sea, it reminded her of Dominic. A man who had not kept to his promise. He was nothing but a rogue and a rake. For the past months, she had tried to erase him from her memory, to erase the sound of his voice, the laughter in his eyes and the feeling of his touch. He was the only man that had ever tried to seduce her that she had willingly wanted to be seduced by. He was charming but that didn't make him any less of a scoundrel. She could still remember his vulgar words. He was very bold and daring and somehow even though it felt all wrong, she admired such a trait about him. Perhaps, she was attracted to him because he was blunt and earnest with his words.

She had stayed up all night wishing she had been bold enough to let him kiss her since it had been evident in his eyes that night in the dancefloor and in the orchard, even though he had openly crave for her bosom instead. She had craved for him too but she had been too scared and naive to give in to his scary advances. Right now, as she stared at the sea, he was only a vague memory. She couldn't really remember his face anymore. Time had almost completely washed it off her memory. He had asked her to get married instead of trying to run away and here she was being forced to get married to a man against her wish whom she hardly knew.

She heaved a deep sigh and moved the fluttering hair away from her face with her fingers. The sun was not that hot. With its comfortable warmth and the airy breeze of the sea and the smell of the forest behind her, she didn't want to be anywhere else but here. She picked a big sea shell which was half buried in the sand and threw it into the water. She found another, partly chipped at the edge and tossed it into the approaching foaming waves. She continued this process with no living soul around her besides the company of the birds that made the place a bit noisy which accompanied the sound of the waves. She watched one of the birds dive down, dip its talons into the water, grabbed a fish and flew off to feast somewhere safe, away from the greedy eyes of the other birds

"You needn't sneak up on me." Lorraine said a bit aloud above the noise of the waves as she squinted at the horizon. "I perceived your approach." She finally turned her head to smile at the surprised boy who had halted some feet behind from her. "Tyler right?"

"Tyron." He corrected meekly.

"Aren't you a little far from the protection of the castle?" Lorraine asked.

"So are you." He simply replied.

Lorraine shrugged with a smile. "I'm all grown up."

"I'm growing." He answered.