Chapter 7

With the first challenge over and Charlie and the dragons back in Romania I spent most of my free time reading over the last letter Charlie sent me again and again. Whenever I happen upon a group a gossiping girl I hear them mention a ball of some sort. I hardly paid any attention to any news about the Tri-Wizard tournament so word of this ball went over my head. When I asked Padma Patil about it she told me it would happen Christmas eve and all the Champions were to attend.
"So it's just some formal dance the school puts on for the tournament." I clarified. She nodded and I thanked her for her help and left. When I got back to the common room I heard Harry, Ron and Hermione talking in a hush.
"What are you three whispering about?" I butted in and sat beside Hermione.
"These two are being nosey about who I'm going to the Yule Ball with." Hermione explained, she sounded rather fed up to me.
"Hermione, who would ask you to a ball? It's unheard of."
"Shut up, Ronald." She snapped before turning to me. "So Alison, do you have a date to the ball yet?"
"Oh no, not yet. I actually just found out about the ball a few minutes ago."
"Are you serious? It's been the talk of the school for weeks now." Harry said.
"I bet I know what why she didn't hear of it." Ron chimed in.
"If you're going to say something stupid then shut up." Hermione said.
"Whatever Hermione. But I bet she doesn't know because she's been too busy kissing Charlie."
My face blushed madly and looked away quickly.
"George told me." He said.
"Well George is lying through his teeth."
"And Fred is too?"
"Duh."
"But seriously Al. You gotta find yourself a date." Hermione said.
"Nah, I'll probably just skip out." I said and shrugged off her urgency.
"But you can't. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You just have to go." She pushed.
"If I get a date fine. Happy now?"
"Yes!" She beamed. With that I took my leave and went out of the common room and down to the great hall for a snack.
I had just made it onto one of the moving stair cases when I was called for from the bottom of it. It was just some sixth year boy from Hufflepuff that was in my potions class.
"Hey there Alison." He said with a way too cheerful tone.
"Hello." I said and tried to force a smile.
"If this isn't too forward I was wondering if you had a date to the Yule Ball yet?"
I was slightly stunned. Did people just assume I would be taken or something. And why is this such a big topic. It took me a moment before I realized I never answered.
"Well-"
"Yes she does. Sorry, I asked her last week." I looked at the voice that cut me off and it was George. I was taken aback.
"Wha-"
"Right? You said yes." George nudged my elbow and I nodded.
"Oh, alright." Said the Hufflepuff, "I'll see you in potions tomorrow." He then turned and fled the staircase.
"Since when am I going to the Yule Ball with you?" I asked George when I bought was out of earshot.
"Since I asked you last week." George winked. "Gotta keep the guys away from you, Charlies request." He saluted like a soldier.
"And now I'm going to the ball with you."
"Correct! May I join you on your way to dinner?"
"You may." We linked arms and made our way to the great hall.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was the day of the Yule Ball. On the last trip to hogsmeade before the ball I picked out my dress and grabbed a few gifts for friends. I haven't gotten any word from Charlie in this time and I told myself he was busy with work. I was dragged out of my room more and more by the twins and brought out to the snow. I don't think there has been a time in my life where I regret having them as friends. Ginny has been busy trying to get Harrys attention the past while. Harry and Ron finally managed to find dates (the Patil twins) and Hermiones date remains a secret. I gotta say the best part of this last few weeks has got to have been Ronald Weasley waltzing with McGonagall.

The sixth year girls dorm was bustling with girls doing their hair and makeup. My dress was a simple navy blue dress that had a lace bodice and floofed out and fell just past my knees. It was a nice compliment to my black hair. My hair was slightly curled and my makeup was minimalistic. A simple knock on the door had girls scrambling. A taller Griffindor in a bright pink floral dress opened the door.
It was George.
"What do you want Weasley?" She asked in a snarky tone.
"My date." He said and extended a hand in my direction.
"She said your date?!" She asked in disbelief.
"I didn't see that coming."
"Neither did I."
"Well they have been friends all year."
"Still...."
Girls around the room were gossiping and gawking. I walked past them and took Georges hand.
"You sure clean up nice." I joked.
"Same to you."
When we walked down into the common room we saw Harry and Pavarti, Ron and Padma, Ginny and Neville!? That's a surprise pairing. Along with Fred and Angelina. Hermione was no where to be found.
"Ali! You look so good!" Ginny squealed.
"Thank you. You look so cute in that dress." Hermione smile spread from ear to ear.
"George, who knew you and Fred could look this ravishing." She said.
"Shall we all go down together?" Fred offered.
"Yeah!" Everyone chimed in together.