Chapter Twenty-three

My knees slammed harshly against the hard floor and I put my hands out to catch myself. I whipped my head up to glare at the Knights who had just thrown me at the feet of the king, and at least they had the decency to look chagrined.

I turned slowly to look up at the King, straightening as much as I could before the Knights stepped forward to restrain me some more.

"Why have you been brought before me?" Uther demanded. He seemed glad to have a reason to kick me out of Camelot.

"She was found performing sorcery in a room dedicated to the royal family's protection." A knight announced.

I looked around frantically for someone who could help me out. But the only people in the room was Uther and the five knights who had taken me. Even Arthur was missing from the room.

Uther's whole expression changed when he heard the charges against me. Rage grew on his face, and he stood up as if to execute me himself.

"It was a lullaby!" I blurted out before I could think it through.

My voice made everyone pause. Even I was shocked that that excuse came out of my mouth. But, I thought about it and decided it could work if I played my cards right.

"Excuse me?" Uther asked, a frown deep on his face.

"It's a lullaby! From Deira! My mother used to sing it to me when things were scary." I hurried to explain, "I thought it would bring me comfort in the middle of a battle."

Uther looked to the Knights as if waiting for some confirmation.

"It wasn't in any language I've heard." A knight spoke up, but he seemed hesitant.

"It was from my mother's homeland!" I quickly lied, "I was adopted by her when I was little. We are not of the same land."

Uther was hesitating, and I let hope grow within my chest.

"How did you become to be in the room meant only for the Pendragon family?" Uther asked, slowly falling back into his throne.

"Prince Arthur brought me there when bandits had over taken the castle. He had no choice but to bring me there if he wanted to save both of our lives."

"My son is well trained, and I am confident he could have taken care of the bandits with ease."

"Not while he was concerned with me, sire, seeing as I am untrained." I explained.

Uther paused as if to consider this. He turned to the Knights behind me and said, "Go find my son. Have him confirm the story. Until then, I see the mistake that has been made. You are all dismissed, and I ask you not to relate what has happened with the princess. I'd hate for her to feel unsafe in her new home."

The Knights backed off, shame on their faces, as I stood up. I bowed to the king and said, "Thank you for your mercy."

Without another word, I hurried away from the room, pausing as soon as I was outside of the doors. I pressed my hand to my chest, leaning against the wall.

This day only seemed to becoming more and more eventful with each hour passed. I couldn't believe I had just been accused of sorcery.

I wanted nothing more than to march in there and show him what was on my mind, but I knew that no part of that was a good idea. I took deep breath, trying to reign in my emotions.

I slowly started walking in the direction of the closet where Faye was hidden. I knew I should probably rush over there to reassure her that everything was safe now, but I knew I needed to get a hold of myself first.

I don't know how I was going to face her. I had -- against all odds -- developed feelings for her betrothed. And it almost seemed like he felt the same...

No. I couldn't let him feel the same way. I had worked hard to be in this postion, and to get both Faye and I to where we are. I wasn't going to be the one to blow it just because I had a fleeting crush on the crown prince.

But, at the same time, I couldn't help but fantasize what it would be like to rule next to Arthur as the Queen of Camelot.

I scoffed out loud, annoyed at myself. I couldn't be having these silly little daydreams when there was work to be done. I picked up my pace a little bit, determined to return things to how they were before I complicated everything.

Maybe there was a way I could even hint at Faye to take Arthur out on a date. Maybe a nice picnic to the lake. And this time I would stay silent and out of the way.

Still, I couldn't help the pang of sadness rush through me at that thought.

I cursed under my breath and sped up again. I kept my fists clenched at my sides and refused to think about the prince, instead focusing all my energy on returning to Faye.

She must be so scared. This day was all too reminiscent of the battle in Deira, and even I couldn't help remembering the panic we felt that day or the sharp, pungent scent of the smoke as the town burned.

I tried to swallow past the lump in my throat, and was extremely relieved when I finally arrived at the closet I had shoved her in.

However, as I approached the door, something felt off. That's when I noticed how the door was creaked open slightly.

I gasped, looking around for any sort of weapon. I settled for an unlit torch hanging on the wall near by. I wasn't sure what I would find in there, but I prayed to god that it wasn't Faye's dead body.

I swung the torch up next to my head, weilding it like a club, before I kicked the door open.

And what was inside made my stomach twist more than any corpse would.

Faye was being pressed up against the wall by a knight, their lips locked together in a passionate kiss.